Layout questions

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

gbabione
THS Average: 211
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/4 up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: Proton Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Phase 2
Light Oil Ball: IQ Emerald
Preferred Company: Storm

Layout questions

Post by gbabione »

After quite a few years of bowling poorly, I have finally took action in my equipment and my physical game. I'm sure mostly due to my physical game, I was having bad ball reaction with every ball I had. I had posted here previously about my balls burning up. Everyone kept telling me they were not, they were laboring.
In 2021 at the end of the season, I decided to have a few balls drilled for Nationals. I went to a different pro shop. He watched me bowl and told me that they were burning up. He suggested longer pin to PAP distance. I had a All-road, an IQ Nano Pearl, an IQ Emerald and a Gravity Evolve drilled. They were definitely better than I used previously and shot a 290 in doubles with the Nano. I have since drilled a Proton Physix, a Zen and a Phase 2.
With having taken lessons the last couple of years, I have improved a lot. My ball roll is better and more consistent. My rev rate is above 425. While practicing yesterday, I placed yellow tape in an X on the Emerald where I thought was my PAP. It looked to be dead on. I continued to do so on the All-road, Gravity, Zen and Phase 2. I didn't have the others with me. My PAPs were similar, but were slightly different. The Emerald was 5 x 3/8 up with pin above middle finger, the Gravity was 5 x 1/4 up with pin above ring finger, the All-road was 4 3/4 x 3/8 up with pin below the bridge, the Zen was 5 1/4 x 1/4 up with pin above ring and the Phase 2 was 4 7/8 x 3/16 down with pin above the ring. There were no rings of oil on any of them to mark a track to use an Armadillo. Are these close enough to say my PAP is probably 5 x 1/4 up? By using the PAPs as stated, the layouts for these in the same order are 68 x 5 3/4 x 40, 60 x 5 1/4 x 38, 80 x 4 7/8 x 67, 75 x 4 7/8 x 38 and 67 x 5 x 38.
As I was rolling each ball with as much forward roll as I could, I watched each on rev up on the back and start thumping at about 55'. I found that they were tracking over the tape. With the Gravity being the only asym and the All-road being the only pin down, I did not expect them all to flare the axis to migrate the same. The All-road did have less flip on the back, but looked to be done migrating at the same distance. Is this what I should have expected? What does this indicate if anything in my layouts? Being that my coach has me rolling the ball better, as I look at new equipment, what should I be doing with my layouts?
Guy Babione

Right Handed
PAP 5" by 1/4" up
65* rotation
11* tilt
375 rev rate
18 mph off hand
gbabione
THS Average: 211
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/4 up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: Proton Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Phase 2
Light Oil Ball: IQ Emerald
Preferred Company: Storm

Re: Layout questions

Post by gbabione »

No thoughts?
Guy Babione

Right Handed
PAP 5" by 1/4" up
65* rotation
11* tilt
375 rev rate
18 mph off hand
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Layout questions

Post by EricHartwell »

gbabione wrote: June 5th, 2023, 2:36 pmNo thoughts?
Yes

Most all of the Layouts are what I would consider High Ratio layouts. Greater than 1.5: 1.

The flare pattern for these type layouts are narrower in the fronts, in the oil.
The flare increases as the core revs up when the migrating axis crosses the pin to spin line, dry flares.
This happens later at the end of the pattern with larger Drilling Angles.
The dry flare is very difficult to see on the ball.

Check out these links...

https://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/image ... lained.pdf

https://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/image ... _cores.pdf

viewtopic.php?t=1101

As far as the different PAP's from ball to ball...
Balls flare in the air. The initial torque of the core pulls the PAP immediately off the hand.
Higher flaring balls will have a PAP location closer to the grip than a low flaring ball.

I recommend rechecking the PAP of a newly drilled ball to find out what you actually have.
When trying to tune in a multi-ball arsenal I feel it is important.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand