Bruising on finger pads...looking for advice

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Stylez78
THS Average: 194
Sport Average: 185
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8" over 3/4" up
Speed: 18 - 18.5mph (off-hand)
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Magic Gem
Medium Oil Ball: Theorem or Absolute
Light Oil Ball: Sublime or Venom Shock
Preferred Company: SPI

Bruising on finger pads...looking for advice

Post by Stylez78 »

So I just returned to boing after 10 years. I was at the pro shop 2 weeks ago and was going to buy a plastic spare ball to get back with but the pro shop offered me a plugged and resurfaced high performance ball for a really good price. They gave me a basic layout without knowing PAP axis etc, said I can find that all out later when I want to move to a different ball but for now this should roll well and get me back into the game.

They got my drill pattern using a blue ball with some holes and numbers for my thumb, had me lay my fingers on ball took some measurements looked at how I could bend my fingers at the first knuckle and said he was going to put some pitch in since I was using finger tip grips. My mistake was not taking the drill sheet so I don't have any info on how much pitch, span etc.

I threw 4 games for the first time this past Sunday. When all was said and done I had significant bruising mainly on my middle finger pads, looked blistered puff and dark color, painful to touch. Ringer finger had some as well but not as pronounced. My thumb swelled a tad bit no pain at all in my thumb. There wasn't any visible bruising on the nail side, but the tip of the finger was in pain like it was bruised so either side hurt it just the pad side hurt most of all.

Now I am not sure if this is a grip problem where I was maybe grabbing or if it is a fit/pitch issue? I never had this before when I used to bowl but it is 10 years later. So how can I go about tracking down why my finger pads bruised so badly? Is there a way to tell if it is the drilling, span pitch or if it is me and a grabbing issue? Any help or advice to help solve this is greatly appreciated.

Here is a pic of my fingers today 2 days later, tip still hurts some but not as bad as it did Sunday
fingers.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Re: Bruising on finger pads...looking for advice

Post by TomaHawk »

Honestly, just take it back. That bruising is not normal.
Stylez78

Post by Stylez78 »

I can def bring it back, the guy said if the thumb was tight etc just comeback they'd take care of it but wasn't expecting my middle and ring fingers to bruise. So do I just tell the pro shop how bad the fingers bruised show them the pic (even though it 2 days later)? What can I expect them to do to help fix that?
Pinbuster

Post by Pinbuster »

There is a 90%+ chance the span is too long. I am a firm believer in relaxed fingertip fits. There are numerous fit articles on the internet on how to check the span.

If you are using the lift side of the grips (a flat side of a hole) I would turn them around to the oval side and that will shorten the span some but will probably need to be plugged and redrilled.
Stylez78

Post by Stylez78 »

Pinbuster wrote: March 8th, 2023, 11:39 am There is a 90%+ chance the span is too long. I am a firm believer in relaxed fingertip fits. There are numerous fit articles on the internet on how to check the span.

If you are using the lift side of the grips (a flat side of a hole) I would turn them around to the oval side and that will shorten the span some but will probably need to be plugged and redrilled.
Ugggh I really hope it doesn't have to be plugged and redrilled, especially if I have to pay, that going to get costly to get it right. Then I would need to trust that the pro shop guy gets it right the second time.
walterp
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over, 5/8 up
Speed: 16 Foul line.
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Rotogrip X1 RST
Medium Oil Ball: Nuclear Cell
Light Oil Ball: Fast Pitch polished with slip agent
Preferred Company: Storm/Rotogrip/Global 900

Post by walterp »

Pinbuster wrote: March 8th, 2023, 11:39 am There is a 90%+ chance the span is too long. I am a firm believer in relaxed fingertip fits. There are numerous fit articles on the internet on how to check the span.

Without actually seeing his hand in the ball, it's a crapshoot, but something else that comes to mind is not enough reverse pitch in the fingers.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BowlU 1 star certified coach
Ritger Level 3 coach
IBPSIA certified Technician
Stylez78

Post by Stylez78 »

walterp wrote: March 8th, 2023, 8:15 pm Without actually seeing his hand in the ball, it's a crapshoot, but something else that comes to mind is not enough reverse pitch in the fingers.
I went to the Pro Shop, 2 guys looked at it and said they think the span is okay it just might be the pitches. They swapped the grips around so they aren't lifts just ovals and said to try it and see. If it still caused finger pain, they would pitch plug the middle finger and make it pitched like the ring finger.

Now based on some article I saw after looking it up it does seem to me that the span on the middle finger is more closer to a stretched span vs a relaxed grip while the ring finger looks a bit better and probably while I don't have as much pain. I put pictures below with my thumb all the way in and my fingers over the grip holes, along with my drill chart they did on this ball.

Obviously I want as much of a comfortable grip as possible, and I never had pain like this in my fingers years ago when I bowled (sadly wish I had never threw my old stuff away so I'd have reference). I know fit is def trial and error and having to buy balls drill them or plug and redrill gets costly. Not sure based on photo and drill chart what I should try next if the grip change doesn't help. Should I try a pitch change in the middle finger or should I look to have the span changed and if so what info can I go in with to tell the pro shop guy what I'd like to try, so I can fix the problem? Thanks!
BB Span pic 1.jpg
BB ring finger span.jpg
Drill chart.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
walterp
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over, 5/8 up
Speed: 16 Foul line.
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Rotogrip X1 RST
Medium Oil Ball: Nuclear Cell
Light Oil Ball: Fast Pitch polished with slip agent
Preferred Company: Storm/Rotogrip/Global 900

Post by walterp »

Stylez78 wrote: March 9th, 2023, 1:34 am I went to the Pro Shop, 2 guys looked at it and said they think the span is okay it just might be the pitches. They swapped the grips around so they aren't lifts just ovals and said to try it and see. If it still caused finger pain, they would pitch plug the middle finger and make it pitched like the ring finger.

Now based on some article I saw after looking it up it does seem to me that the span on the middle finger is more closer to a stretched span vs a relaxed grip while the ring finger looks a bit better and probably while I don't have as much pain. I put pictures below with my thumb all the way in and my fingers over the grip holes, along with my drill chart they did on this ball.

Obviously I want as much of a comfortable grip as possible, and I never had pain like this in my fingers years ago when I bowled (sadly wish I had never threw my old stuff away so I'd have reference). I know fit is def trial and error and having to buy balls drill them or plug and redrill gets costly. Not sure based on photo and drill chart what I should try next if the grip change doesn't help. Should I try a pitch change in the middle finger or should I look to have the span changed and if so what info can I go in with to tell the pro shop guy what I'd like to try, so I can fix the problem? Thanks!
BB Span pic 1.jpg BB ring finger span.jpg Drill chart.jpg
looks to my old eyes at least 1/4 inch long maybe more. If I were coaching you in your center, and I saw that, I would insist on the grip being modified before going on with the lesson. Good luck.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BowlU 1 star certified coach
Ritger Level 3 coach
IBPSIA certified Technician