Fundamentals are the Key

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BudKennedy

Fundamentals are the Key

Post by BudKennedy »

No matter how long you have been away from bowling basic fundamentals will always be the key to make your return to the game a bit easier. As a much younger man I took great pride in paying attention to maintaining the fundamentals of the game. At that time, I had the benefit of a few mentors that drilled these fundamentals into my very soul. Now here it is decades later and I find myself returning to the game that was once so important
As an aging senior citizen returning to the game after decades away things sure have changed. Interestingly enough the fundamentals of the game remain the same. You still have to be consistent on the approach and delivery of the ball. Technology changes in the game have changed many things related to the conditioning of the lanes to the many options now present in popular bowling balls. What has not changed are the basic fundamentals. This seems to have benefited me greatly as I am re learning the “new” game. My agility and strength are certainly much different now than in the past but my overall knowledge of the fundamentals have aided in my return. Over this first month of my return, my focus has been wholly on the re learning of the fundamentals. Just because I know what they are does not mean I have the ability to execute the approach and delivery as I did long ago. The fundamentals however have lead me on a path to enable some fairly rapid progress considering I am only bowling once a week. My strength is improving and my agility is also much better allowing me to produce a mostly repeatable delivery of the ball. Without these fundamentals this would have been a much more difficult process.

Up until now scoring has not been all that important. The reality is that while my scores are still on the low side, they are moving up the ladder quite nicely. My last outing produced a series of 574 which was the highest since the return. I do understand this is not all that fantastic but from a personal perspective it has be encouraged about where my ability to score is leading. This whole deal would be a lot better if I had a mentor or a coach that could guide me through this process and give me guidance about what part of my current game needs to be the focus as II progress. Sometimes what we think we are doing might not be all that accurate and a third party can see things that I cannot.

I am now considering investing into some new equipment. There are just so many types of balls currently available that making this decision will be tough when the time is right. My current thoughts are for the Hammer 2.0 Hybrid and the Global 900 eternity. I have no idea at this time if these are even reasonable solutions for me. I will depend a lot on my local pro shop to help me in the process.

Currently I am thinking one of my biggest problems is being able to stay behind the ball on delivery. I find myself coming over the top from time to time and will continue to pay attention to this fundamental element. I have noticed that as my approach improves that ball speed has also increased. Last time out I noticed that ball speed was very near 16mph and my approach is becoming more automatic. The improved speeds seem to improve the back- end finish on the ball a bit. I am not a cranker but more of an old school stroker and would like a bit more back end given the oil conditions I am noticing. One thing for sure the return has been an exercise in patience. I will continue to address issues one step at a time. If I get too much information in my head it makes it much harder to concentrate on the game. I appreciate all the videos and articles that I am seeing but to be honest they are not produced for someone of my age. Returning to the sport at 77 is a blessing. I am in fairly good shape and health but the fact remains that I am an old geezer with the limitations that age may bring
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Fundamentals are the Key

Post by kajmk »

It would be highly unusual for your body not to have changed. You and I are only a few years apart in age.

If you cannot get local instruction, consider submitting a video set using the following instructions.
Nothing compares well with in person one on one instruction.

Here is a fundamental veto consider. Our self perception of our body in motion is often flawed, one reason is the lag time between action and perception.
Try to view yourself on video after a delivery, look at recommended camera positions, have a friend take videos.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... e_Coaching

Back in the day, Coach Jim Merrell would have definitely been able to help you.
Unfortunately Jim had to step away.

Also consider looking at Mark Bakers video, there is a segment with Barry Asher.

Here is a sample of Jim's analysis and plan for a senior bowler. You might see something of value there.
viewtopic.php?p=20373&hilit=Senior#p20373

At 70+ you are what is called a super senior.

I once had to switch hands due to injury. After a few attempts, I realized I needed to break down the elements of the game. I had a plastic ball drilled for my other side. I always practiced with a piece of white tape on my PAP.
Monitoring your PAP as the ball goes down the lane is IMPERATIVE, it yields much information to the educated eye, release characteristics, stages of ball motion , Don Johnson had an excellent segment on the PAP in one of his video

Oh no, another video (If you need to learn about PAP)

As Satchel Paige said, age is mind over matter, if you don't mind it doesn't matter.

One of coaches I studied under was Rolf Gauger. Rolf was a stickler on FORM and FUNDAMENTALS, And PHYSICS.

One basic thing to consider, when trying to achieve an objective, sometimes, working from the direct opposite is a good method. In the case of staying behind the ball, try starting by intending to roll a backup ball. One step and Foul line drills are useful to isolate elements.
From a back up, progress to a straight ball.

Yes another video, this is a fundamental

Your tenacious nature will yield results
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Another Jim Merrell Analysis and lesson plan for a senior.
In case there is something of value for you ...

viewtopic.php?p=47116&hilit=Senior#p47116

John
star
Positive Axis Point: 5 over 3/4 up
Speed: 17 to 18 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 45
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by star »

Bud, I had to drop you a quick note to let you know how much you inspire me.

It is hearing stories like yours that continue to give me so much love for this sport.

Thanks for taking the time to post your updates.
BudKennedy

Post by BudKennedy »

As it turns out some flaws in my game were pointed out to me today. I stopped by the pro shot this afternoon to ask a couple questions about a potential new ball. The Pro just looked at me as said, "You're not ready yet". He then let me know that while I was bowling last week he was watching me for a while. He was curious how the thumb hole adjustments worked out for me. What he told me then was a bit of a wake up call. He said you're not ready because you still have a couple significant flaws in your approach and delivery that need to be corrected before I could even begin to understand what kind of a ball I would need.

Lloyd pointed out that he saw that I was not always staying behind the ball and that is why I felt like I was coming over the top. He pointed out that when I set up for my approach even then my hand is in a poor position along the side of the ball. He reminded me to focus on setting up for my delivery with my hand in a position behind the ball and that would enable me to deliver the ball more correctly and make maximum use of the lift in my fingers. Secondly he also pointed out that my backswing is slightly behind my back causing a bit of a chicken wing and making it more difficult to deliver the ball in a powerful and continuous manner without the problems of missing my mark on the outside of my target line.

These are the kind of pointers I need if I am to keep improving. I was warned that failure to correct these issues will just further exploit the bad habit. I really appreciate his candid feedback. It is so true that it is hard for the bowler to see their own faults but a knowledgeable third party can provide a lot of positive value and feedback. Now I am really excited to get back on the lanes as soon as possible. Most likely this will be on Thursday afternoon. This goes to show you that even us old dogs are willing to try new things to help our game. Lloyd mentioned that the problem I am having is very common in senior age bowlers but at the same time gave me kudos about how my game is progressing.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Glad you are making progress. Kudos to Lloyd for being frank and honest!

I know you are not a fan of videos, but you can cherry pick from this set. It directly addresses some of the issues you observed. There's a chance some of this will help you. Norm's pointers are not age specific.
If interested, look up "Norm duke instruction" on youtube, you will find a copy of his DVD broken down into 20 short instructional steps.

Many people much much younger than you have similar flaws, some never correct them.

Continued progress and enjoyment.

John
BudKennedy

Post by BudKennedy »

I have watched a lot of the Norm Duke series. I really like his videos and the ease of how he communicates the message. I think they are some of the best videos so far.
BudKennedy

Post by BudKennedy »

I have watched a lot of the Norm Duke series. I really like his videos and the ease of how he communicates the message. I think they are some of the best videos so far.
walterp
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over, 5/8 up
Speed: 16 Foul line.
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Rotogrip X1 RST
Medium Oil Ball: Nuclear Cell
Light Oil Ball: Fast Pitch polished with slip agent
Preferred Company: Storm/Rotogrip/Global 900

Post by walterp »

BudKennedy wrote: March 7th, 2023, 6:28 pm I have watched a lot of the Norm Duke series. I really like his videos and the ease of how he communicates the message. I think they are some of the best videos so far.
Sir, I sent you a PM. :D
USBC Silver Level Coach
BowlU 1 star certified coach
Ritger Level 3 coach
IBPSIA certified Technician