Straight bowler learning hook shot

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
johnnybonez

Straight bowler learning hook shot

Post by johnnybonez »

Hello, I recently bought my first ball, a14 lb brunswick rhino, and am starting to learn how to throw the ball with fingertip grip and hooking it. I have used a house ball all my life and thrown it straight. I read online that the rhino does not perform well in heavy oil, and I think where I play my league usually has heavier oil conditions. I am wondering how do I know how to adjust my shot/lineup to account for heavy oil rather than getting a stronger ball? I throw the ball at 16-17 mph range which is what the pro shop guy was teaching me. I think my problem is I dont know how to read the oil and adjust my target. Any pointers or specific videos I should check out would be awesome. Thank you
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Straight bowler learning hook shot

Post by kajmk »

Welcome to the forum johnnybonez

Caveat, I have been away from the sport for many years.

Off the top of my head and just to hopefully get replies from better minds than mine.

Don Johnson's A Pro's Guide to Better Bowling Vol 2
What is Positive Axis Point PAP, and why is it important
How to find it and learn via putting a PAP tracer on ball (must remove in competition)
In some of these videos you will see a white dot or piece of tape on the bowlers PAP
Your PAP is your bowling finger print, ball drillers use it when drilling a ball.
Don Johnson's discussion of finding PAP, axis rotation, axis tilt, phases of ball motion are key aspects of the physics of ball motion. I'm submitting the video for discussion and explanation of PAP and ball motion.

Bowling Lane Strategy - Ray Wong
Ray's video is an excellent synopsis of bowling and contains a lot of gold nuggets of information

Bowling metrics and lane patterns are quantifiable, BUT perception from bowler to bowler is based on that bowlers skillset. Things like ball speed, Axis rotation, Axis tilt , RPMS affect that perception.
Be aware of the oil etc, but believe YOUR EYES AND HOW YOUR BALL REACTS.
The pattern length and distribution are all good information, but it boils down to your physical toolset and equipment options. Part of your toolset would be changing ball speed, rpms, axis rotation, axis tilt (not a piece of cake).

Working one on one with a good instructor (one who gets results) is an EXCELLENT decision.
Listen and learn with an open mind.

I was at best a mediocre bowler, but one thing I did do was stay within my limitations, that is, what are my best chances in terms of ball motion, in some cases for me, that meant hooking on one lane, straight on another.

Key factor, you want your ball to split the 8-9 as it goes through the pins.
Watching the ball go through the pins on a POCKET HIT tells you how strong your ball was upon initial impact.

Be sure to
(CHECK OUT THE FORUM WIKI FOR NUMEROUS RESOURCES AND ARTICLES)

I hope your love of the game will grow and endure.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John