Thumb issues

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

ICURNVS
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 -> 3/4 up
Speed: 16.8 Monitor
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Zen Master
Medium Oil Ball: Power Torq / UFO Alert / Honey Badger Revival
Light Oil Ball: Marvel Pearl / Stellar
Preferred Company: What ever is on Sale

Thumb issues

Post by ICURNVS »

ok drillers....

What is the most reverse pitch and (left) side pitch you have put on someones thumb?

I feel "trapped" in my thumb....

I have a giant pad below my thumb and a big thumb to begin with.. and with 1/8 revers and 1/8 left it still feels like my thumb is being... i dont know.. bent? forced? to the right to get into the thumb hole.

I just cant clear my thumb, and the older i get its just wrecking my release...

Thoughts?

ICU
** UPDATED STATS AS OF 6-06-19 **
Right Hand
PAP 4 1/2-> 3/4 up
ROTATION 20 - 30
TILT 11.5*
MPH 14.5-15.2 MONITOR
RPM 350-375
RIP Visionary Bowling Products.....
bksmith81

Re: Thumb issues

Post by bksmith81 »

Have you discussed or tried moving your thumb hole to be more in line with your middle finger than in the middle? I have arthritis in my thumb and adjusting my thumb hole has helped.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

Find a PSO to do a performance fit, span might need adjusted for what your experiencing
Stacy
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

ICURNVS wrote: March 24th, 2022, 2:13 pm ok drillers....

What is the most reverse pitch and (left) side pitch you have put on someones thumb?

I feel "trapped" in my thumb....

I have a giant pad below my thumb and a big thumb to begin with.. and with 1/8 revers and 1/8 left it still feels like my thumb is being... i dont know.. bent? forced? to the right to get into the thumb hole.

I just cant clear my thumb, and the older i get its just wrecking my release...

Thoughts?

ICU
I've had customers that have told me the pitches they wanted.This particular customer just tried anything for the heck of it. So, here ya go,

THUMB PITCH:

1 1/2" reverse x 1 1/2" away (NOT RECOMMENDED!!!)

He wasn't a big guy or anything, he just liked to tinker and was a totally, cool person. He was particularly proud that he had come up with that thumb pitch. Had me pick up the ball and asked for an opinion. I said: "It feels great! But, it also feels like the ball will leave my hand at any point in the swing" lol...

Realistically though, there are a lot of factors to take into consideration when fitting a person. As time moves on, those factors change. It is not a bad idea to have your entire grip re-evaluated.
ICURNVS

Post by ICURNVS »

Tom.. Thanks for the Reply.

I have a few balls that i no longer use and am going to tinker a bit.. I was just looking to see what other people had done.

I think the first attempt will be 1/4 reverse and 1/2 left. My right thumb is very stiff, and some left is needed. To make matters worse I have broke both of my fingers repeatedly over the years. They aint straight anymore... We have compensated for this by turning the oval like / / .. not quite that much but you get the idea. This helps line my fingers better in the hole and puts less stress on getting the thumb in the ball.

I think that combined with some reverse and left pitch and the ball SHOULD sit better in my hand.

ICU
Right Hand
PAP 4 1/2-> 3/4 up
ROTATION 20 - 30
TILT 11.5*
MPH 14.5-15.2 MONITOR
RPM 350-375
Atomic
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by Atomic »

Keep in mind there could be a couple of factors that are causing your thumb to “hang up” in the ball. One could be incorrect pitches, but a span that is either too short or too long can also have that effect. What is your span and what are your current finger pitches?

1/4 rev and 1/2 left lateral is a PILE of reverse pitch. That’s effectively 3/4 reverse pitch. I haven’t put that on more than 3 customers in probably the last 10 years. And these were people with spans well over 5 1/2 inches.
ICURNVS

Post by ICURNVS »

From cut to cut is appx 4 5/8. I believe where my biggest problem comes from is how messed up my fingers are. Like i said i have broke them multiple times over the years. We are going to play around and see what works best.. Might start with 1/8 reverse and 3/8 left... go from there. From what i feel.. the left is the bigger issue than the reverse
Right Hand
PAP 4 1/2-> 3/4 up
ROTATION 20 - 30
TILT 11.5*
MPH 14.5-15.2 MONITOR
RPM 350-375
Atomic
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by Atomic »

For someone at 4 1/2 span I start them with 0 pitch in their thumb and go 1/4 rev in the fingers depending on flexibility. If they have a stiffer thumb I’ll go 1/8 rev in the thumb. For you I’d probably do 1/8 rev and 1/8 left with 1/4 rev in the ring finger and 3/8 rev in the middle or v/v depending on how high you want your track. Lateral in the fingers I would roll your fingers 1/8 left from your normal lateral pitch to keep the ball flat on your hand. You’re saying you kind of have a meaty hand so I’m thinking you need less rev pitch because your thumb effectively shortens when you close your hand into the ball. I wouldn’t want you grabbing it at all.
ICURNVS

Post by ICURNVS »

grabbing and clearing the thumb are the main issues at the moment.. We do roll the oval in my finger grips to match how my fingers lay across the holes.

Right now i believe my finger are 0 pitch.. and i couldnt tell you if we have any lateral in them.

The ball seems to have most of the weight resting on the pad of my index finger.
Right Hand
PAP 4 1/2-> 3/4 up
ROTATION 20 - 30
TILT 11.5*
MPH 14.5-15.2 MONITOR
RPM 350-375
ICURNVS

Post by ICURNVS »

Was able to go see someone that i trusted do a new fitting.

I found out a few things....
1. My finger tips have about zero flexability... so he went 3/8 reverse on both. Left lateral pitches alone
2. My thumb has no flexability and the webbing is super tight.. so he went with 1/8 forward
3. How thing lined up overall he said we can start with 3/8 left on the thumb and go from there
4. because of how messed up my fingers and hand is.. my middle finger span needed shortened compared to my ring finger.

Ball should be plugged and ready to go this wends... we shall see how it works out..

Matt
Right Hand
PAP 4 1/2-> 3/4 up
ROTATION 20 - 30
TILT 11.5*
MPH 14.5-15.2 MONITOR
RPM 350-375
bigsauce23

Post by bigsauce23 »

Has the new fit made improvements for you ?
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

I would have your driller check into Joe Slowinski's ADT drilling method. I switched to it and most of the people that I drill for like it better (of the ones willing to try it). He uses a lot of left lateral in all of the thumb holes. You can get the instructions from his website or on facebook if you search: Anatomical Drilling Technique (ADT)