A quick question for you guys about the modern release

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
Ron Clifton
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Posts: 13
Joined: January 29th, 2010, 4:52 pm

A quick question for you guys about the modern release

Post by Ron Clifton »

What do most of you call the modern release that most of the bowlers on tour use?
Does it have an offical name?

I am writing an article for the new BTM and I was just wondering?
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Posts: 1440
Joined: August 1st, 2010, 1:45 pm
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50
Location: Florence, Ky

Re: A quick question for you guys about the modern release

Post by JMerrell »

Hi Ron,
My 2 cents:
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... f_the_ball" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
Ron Clifton
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Posts: 13
Joined: January 29th, 2010, 4:52 pm

Re: A quick question for you guys about the modern release

Post by Ron Clifton »

Thanks Jim, btw you may want to edit this. Change the the to this.

But what does the mean without a visual reference?
SomyP
Member
Member
Posts: 416
Joined: May 4th, 2013, 12:26 am
Preferred Company: Storm

Re: A quick question for you guys about the modern release

Post by SomyP »

It's known as working the inside of the ball. I don't know if I've heard Randy Pedersen or any pro on t.v. give it an official name. Of course Randy's given names for all kinds of releases. He calls Ryan Shafer's roll voodoo roll cause of his high tilt and rotation. The best name I can think of is modern power release?
Ron Clifton
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Posts: 13
Joined: January 29th, 2010, 4:52 pm

Re: A quick question for you guys about the modern release

Post by Ron Clifton »

LOL, I call Tom Baker's ball roll the whirligig. He has 70-90 degreess of axis rotation and a bunch of axis tilt. When he throws a ball with a lot of colors in it (I call them swirly balls) he walks back and asks me if I am dizzy yet.
User avatar
Jeremy
Member
Member
Posts: 47
Joined: June 26th, 2009, 4:10 am
Positive Axis Point: 5 9/16" straight over
Speed: 16.5 avg
Rev Rate: 370
Heavy Oil Ball: asymm solid 55x4.5"x20, 1000 grit
Medium Oil Ball: urethane 60x5x10
Light Oil Ball: urethane 60x5x70
Preferred Company: Turbo Grips
Location: California

Re: A quick question for you guys about the modern release

Post by Jeremy »

Are you referring to the "load/unload" type releases a lot of coaches are pushing these days?
Jeremy
User avatar
rrb6699
Member
Member
Posts: 797
Joined: June 22nd, 2013, 12:24 am
THS Average: 235
Sport Average: 211
Positive Axis Point: 4 ovr, 1 up
Speed: 12-18.5 mph at pin deck
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: 15#-Incognito, Obsession Sld, Altered Reality, Astrophyx Prl
Medium Oil Ball: 16# Quantum Violet, Honey Badger Rev, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: 15#: StarTrak Ureth -Sky Blue
Preferred Company: Radical, Storm/Roto, Brunswk
Location: Central Florida

Re: A quick question for you guys about the modern release

Post by rrb6699 »

I heard Mo say do the 'Nike Swoosh', but, i may have found a way to 'draw' the nike symbol with my release. however, i have never seen anyone actually draw the symbol tracing the follow thru of a bowler that uses it.

the way i do it is in my follow thru, if there were a board in front of me, the symbol would start at the floor and hook off to the right at the top of my follow thru.

if the 'swoosh' goes in a different direction than how i do it, i would be interested in knowing how it 'should' be done.

RR
Tweenr-RH
300-(15) 290-(37) 280-(31)
Ser-1075-4gm, 867-3gm
speed dominant
Tilt: low°, Ax Rot: ~....°, PAP: 3 7/8 over- 1/2 up; Speed: 17.5mph Avg downlane
Several Wins/Top 5 Finishes-scr/hdcp tournaments.
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Posts: 1057
Joined: March 31st, 2010, 7:27 pm
Location: Camp Springs MD

Re: A quick question for you guys about the modern release

Post by guruU2 »

Ron Clifton wrote:an offical name?
Seen various names but no "official name". How about "the modern release"?
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
MWhite
Member
Member
Posts: 457
Joined: July 4th, 2012, 11:29 pm
Location: Riverside Ca

Re: A quick question for you guys about the modern release

Post by MWhite »

Ron Clifton wrote:LOL, I call Tom Baker's ball roll the whirligig. He has 70-90 degreess of axis rotation and a bunch of axis tilt. When he throws a ball with a lot of colors in it (I call them swirly balls) he walks back and asks me if I am dizzy yet.
Back in the 80's the ABC Nationals was held in Buffalo. I was staying at a hotel on the Canada side of Niagra Falls. On the local news (out of Buffalo), during the first 15 seconds or so there were quick scenes of things I assume were Buffalo related. It's the kind of thing that would be shown every day the news was on. One of the scenes was an unidentified person throwing the bowling ball. I recognized him as Tom Baker throwing what you call the whirligig.

I thought it was odd at the time because living in the L.A. area, we see nothing about bowling on the news at all, let alone every day.
User avatar
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Posts: 455
Joined: August 4th, 2010, 10:23 am
THS Average: 220
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: A quick question for you guys about the modern release

Post by deanchamp »

It is a bit difficult to label or define specifically what the majority of bowlers are doing today that constitutes the ‘modern release’, as there are many variations of it. Some bowlers cup their wrist then uncup it, some cock their wrist then uncock it (many do both) some work the inside of the ball and some don’t (but still generate a lot of revs), some bend their elbow then straighten it, some get their elbow to the outside of the ball then snap it straight, some follow through straight and some to the left, some use an open hand at the top of the swing and some still cup their wrist throughout.

The one thing in common with the top bowlers today is that they are trying to generate sufficient revs with the least amount of physical strain, which requires a muscle free arm swing and release action. So maybe the term ‘muscle free’ release is appropriate, if somewhat vague?

Amleto Monacalli was probably the fore runner to what is now the most common way to impart a high rev rate onto the ball, and he started on the PBA tour in 1982! His release back then was in the ‘cranker’ category, but you wouldn’t put him in the ‘plant and pull’ class even though that’s what most would have categorised him as (before the benefit of slow motion video cameras). He also has extremely early timing in terms of getting the ball moving, requiring fast feet to catch up with the swing (same as Tommy Jones), which is integral to his swing and release timing, but how do you incorporate that info into a release descriptor? Today you may call him a ‘power player’ or ‘power stroker’ or even a ‘tweener’, but do any of these labels define what he is actually doing at the release?

‘Modern’ basically means current, or relating to the present, so if the majority of pros are releasing the ball in a certain way, it is modern. BUT, in 20 year’s time, whatever the most common release is then will also be the ‘modern release’, so that title lacks specifics.

In David Ozio’s coaching book ‘Bowl like A Pro’, he described the release some of the guys on tour were doing then as ‘wristing’, which is an interesting term too.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Posts: 3432
Joined: January 31st, 2010, 1:04 am
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45
Location: Hawesville KY/Tell City IN

Re: A quick question for you guys about the modern release

Post by JohnP »

In David Ozio’s coaching book ‘Bowl like A Pro’, he described the release some of the guys on tour were doing then as ‘wristing’, which is an interesting term too.
That's interesting, the last I heard from David he was no longer bowling because of a wrist problem. -- JohnP
ABSolut
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: January 19th, 2011, 5:31 pm
Preferred Company: Seismic

Re: A quick question for you guys about the modern release

Post by ABSolut »

deanchamp wrote:It is a bit difficult to label or define specifically what the majority of bowlers are doing today that constitutes the ‘modern release’, as there are many variations of it. Some bowlers cup their wrist then uncup it, some cock their wrist then uncock it (many do both) some work the inside of the ball and some don’t (but still generate a lot of revs), some bend their elbow then straighten it, some get their elbow to the outside of the ball then snap it straight, some follow through straight and some to the left, some use an open hand at the top of the swing and some still cup their wrist throughout.

The one thing in common with the top bowlers today is that they are trying to generate sufficient revs with the least amount of physical strain, which requires a muscle free arm swing and release action. So maybe the term ‘muscle free’ release is appropriate, if somewhat vague?

Amleto Monacalli was probably the fore runner to what is now the most common way to impart a high rev rate onto the ball, and he started on the PBA tour in 1982! His release back then was in the ‘cranker’ category, but you wouldn’t put him in the ‘plant and pull’ class even though that’s what most would have categorised him as (before the benefit of slow motion video cameras). He also has extremely early timing in terms of getting the ball moving, requiring fast feet to catch up with the swing (same as Tommy Jones), which is integral to his swing and release timing, but how do you incorporate that info into a release descriptor? Today you may call him a ‘power player’ or ‘power stroker’ or even a ‘tweener’, but do any of these labels define what he is actually doing at the release?

‘Modern’ basically means current, or relating to the present, so if the majority of pros are releasing the ball in a certain way, it is modern. BUT, in 20 year’s time, whatever the most common release is then will also be the ‘modern release’, so that title lacks specifics.

In David Ozio’s coaching book ‘Bowl like A Pro’, he described the release some of the guys on tour were doing then as ‘wristing’, which is an interesting term too.

Great summary Dean...as this has really been my observation (regarding what I see as the modern release) with today's bowlers. It is so hard to pinpoint a specific one as they all are achieving higher rev rates from different variations. I also think this is what has lead to the slight confusion for me mentally as I know all those different ways to release...but I have not pinpointed my own 'go to' release to stay consistent. After the season, I will be focusing on that very specific thing to solidify my game. Too many times in league do I attempt a different release to achieve my results as opposed to modifying a go to release. I just don't know if I want to be the cup/uncup, or cock/uncock, or stay behind, nike swoosh or whatever guy. I get too caught up in wanting to be way too versatile, and I need to back up and simplify.
Akil B. Staves

Right handed
PAP: 4" over, 5/8 down
Speed: 16.5-17 mph at the monitor
Rev Rate: ~ 325-350
Initial Axis Rotation: ~40-45°
Initial Axis Tilt: ~20-23°
User avatar
rrb6699
Member
Member
Posts: 797
Joined: June 22nd, 2013, 12:24 am
THS Average: 235
Sport Average: 211
Positive Axis Point: 4 ovr, 1 up
Speed: 12-18.5 mph at pin deck
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: 15#-Incognito, Obsession Sld, Altered Reality, Astrophyx Prl
Medium Oil Ball: 16# Quantum Violet, Honey Badger Rev, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: 15#: StarTrak Ureth -Sky Blue
Preferred Company: Radical, Storm/Roto, Brunswk
Location: Central Florida

Re: A quick question for you guys about the modern release

Post by rrb6699 »

whatever it 'is', there will be a variation that works for your body and hand/arm/finger type. the trick is finding what works for you as is everything as unique as a bowling release.

RR
Tweenr-RH
300-(15) 290-(37) 280-(31)
Ser-1075-4gm, 867-3gm
speed dominant
Tilt: low°, Ax Rot: ~....°, PAP: 3 7/8 over- 1/2 up; Speed: 17.5mph Avg downlane
Several Wins/Top 5 Finishes-scr/hdcp tournaments.
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Posts: 397
Joined: August 28th, 2012, 2:45 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: A quick question for you guys about the modern release

Post by JimH »

deanchamp wrote: So maybe the term ‘muscle free’ release is appropriate.

‘Modern’ basically means current, or relating to the present, so if the majority of pros are releasing the ball in a certain way, it is modern. BUT, in 20 year’s time, whatever the most common release is then will also be the ‘modern release’, so that title lacks specifics.
I agree that the word modern is not appropriate as it is not specific to the era. Rather than 'muscle free' would 'relaxed release' be more descriptive?
User avatar
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Posts: 455
Joined: August 4th, 2010, 10:23 am
THS Average: 220
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: A quick question for you guys about the modern release

Post by deanchamp »

ABSolut wrote: Great summary Dean...as this has really been my observation (regarding what I see as the modern release) with today's bowlers. It is so hard to pinpoint a specific one as they all are achieving higher rev rates from different variations. I also think this is what has lead to the slight confusion for me mentally as I know all those different ways to release...but I have not pinpointed my own 'go to' release to stay consistent. After the season, I will be focusing on that very specific thing to solidify my game. Too many times in league do I attempt a different release to achieve my results as opposed to modifying a go to release. I just don't know if I want to be the cup/uncup, or cock/uncock, or stay behind, nike swoosh or whatever guy. I get too caught up in wanting to be way too versatile, and I need to back up and simplify.
I would go with the release version that is the easiest to execute for you and is the most repeatable, in terms of imparting the same tilt, rotation, revs and speed on the ball every time. This will also allow you to choose layouts that will match your ball roll more consistently too.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor
sprocket
Member
Member
Posts: 154
Joined: November 30th, 2012, 3:10 pm
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Re: A quick question for you guys about the modern release

Post by sprocket »

How about the "projected" release? That is what 90% of them have in common and what differs from power bowlers of the past. Michael Fagan has it. Pete Weber has it. And they have completely different releases but both strive to do the same thing: Project the ball through the heads.
Ball speed: 18mph
Rev rate: 400rpm
PAP: 6 1/8" over 1/4" up
Tilt: 12°
Axis rotation 30°-60°
Dr NO
Member
Member
Posts: 52
Joined: January 27th, 2010, 1:33 am
THS Average: 207
Location: Silver Spring, MD

Re: A quick question for you guys about the modern release

Post by Dr NO »

Hi Ron!

Nice to see you in here.

My question concerning the "Modern Release" is... are you *only* talking about what the hand/wrist is doing?

When I think of the Modern Release, I think of a whole lot more than just hand position. To me, it means lateral spine tilt, dropping of the shoulder, having your head over the ball, walking the balance beam etc. in addition to what the hand/wrist is doing.

Just my .02.
--
Dr. NO
crazyjim
Member
Member
Posts: 330
Joined: September 29th, 2010, 9:42 pm
Preferred Company: all

Re: A quick question for you guys about the modern release

Post by crazyjim »

"turn the door knob" as it was explained to me back in the early ninties
MWhite
Member
Member
Posts: 457
Joined: July 4th, 2012, 11:29 pm
Location: Riverside Ca

Re: A quick question for you guys about the modern release

Post by MWhite »

One thing I see consistent with the "modern" release compared to the "stroker" of years back is that the distance between the ball, and the shoulder is increasing just before the thumb comes out.

This is either achieved by a bent elbow straightening out, or a cupped wrist uncupping.

At the point where the arm, wrist, fingers are fully extended, the fingers act like a string wrapped around a toy top, imparting spin in the form of revs.

The most extreme case is Belmonte. His whole forward swing is the unbending of his elbow.
So the "top" has plenty of momentum away from the shoulder, when the "string" is pulled.
jco415
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: March 20th, 2010, 1:53 am
Preferred Company: storm

Re: A quick question for you guys about the modern release

Post by jco415 »

DYDS: Drop Your Damn Shoulder
Post Reply