New to this. Call out everything, please!

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
magicbumm328

New to this. Call out everything, please!

Post by magicbumm328 »

(Form video)

I have been at this bowling thing for about 10 months. I hold about a 175-180 avg at the moment.
I have seen coaches but the advice I seem to get is more about how to play to adjust to the shot I have now and not how to fix my form and its frustrating as hell.

I am about 16mph at the pins + 225-250 rev rate. So I am speed dominant. Thus the strong, solid asym and still playing right.

Thing I notice:
  • I clearly see I am on top of the ball at release. But no matter what I do, I don't 'feel' like I am in that position at release. I feel like my hand is under it more. Even when I try to get under the ball more and look at the video, essentially nothing looks different despite feeling entirely different.
  • I feel like my arm swing is weird as hell. It again 'feels' like my wrist is behind the ball but seeing the video, despite entering the back swing with my elbow pointing in towards my body, my arm is still swinging quite a ways from my body. I feel like this is just my anatomy. I workout a bit. I have a broad but lanky frame and high lat insertions. even if i let my arms rest palms forward at my side, my arm is just outside my body a good bit.
  • I notice immediately when I start my down swing my wrist turns. again, I do not feel this. But seems to be an issue though I am not sure.
  • I have been told I muscle the ball. I will admit, i of course use muscle. Its natural. Again, I just am used to using my arm muscles but I dont feel like I am doing anything crazy here. I am honestly hardly trying to shoot the ball hard. If anything I am dialing the ball speed back because I need the ball to hook.
  • I have changed footwork to reduce a bigger cross overstep. That has reduced drift and increased accuracy, but I still feel like this is wrong because I have been told my toe should point straight at the line but I don't know how serious of an issue that is.
  • I have been told I am not 'square to the line' but again, no real good explanation of what that means or how/what I should do to correct it or why correcting it will help.
I am really just looking for a place to start to rebuild this form. I have learned a TON about how to play the lanes and read the ball. I am no guru but I feel like I have an ok understanding of that for a beginner. But the form, or I suppose how to fix my form, is a mystery to me.

My biggest issue is is lateral (outside) wrist pain. It isn't crazy while I bowl but it gets stiff and sore after. If I could get that better I would be super happy but honestly, I just want to perform better. I can manage the pain with taping etc.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: New to this. Call out everything, please!

Post by MegaMav »

Try dipping your right shoulder down until your head is over the ball.
Hinge the ball straight down, dont let the elbow get in front of your hip and try to get the ball on top of your ball side foot when the foot compresses on the first step.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Welcome to the forum Magic ...

Here is an attempt to answer the following question you posed
I have been told I am not 'square to the line' but again, no real good explanation of what that means or how/what I should do to correct it or why correcting it will help.

Square to the line.
This is aligning your body to allow you to swing the ball and launch it along the path you want your ball (aka line) to travel.

Audio visual aides

Let us know if this is adequate as

P.S. Check out the wiki for various references and articles.
I wish I had the skill to diagnose via an 8 second video, but that is a gift I do not have.
Just for fun, check out some coaching videos on YouTube.

Search for Norm Duke lessons. His DVD is on YouTube. It is a set of segmented lessons

Mark Bakers The System

If you are looking for local coaching references, create a post in the general forum seeking recommendations in your area. Worth a try.
One on one in person coaching is a good way to optimize your game.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Magic ...

How are things going?

In looking at the orientation of your shoulders and hips, it looks to me that you would be throwing the ball to a spot somewhere on the next lane. Note, this is just my impression.

Read this thread, hone in on Jim Merrell's discussion of the importannce of the "opposite" ATM
Tidbit
Subject Balance Arm
viewtopic.php?p=108896&hilit=Opposite#p108896

Listen to Juha's comments on Body Rotation in throwing sports

Analysis of the Modern 10 Pin Swing & Release Video
https://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index ... ease_Video
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John