Seeking Single Ball Solution

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BudKennedy

Seeking Single Ball Solution

Post by BudKennedy »

It is my personal goal to only use one ball and forego the temptation to use another ball just for certain spares. In particular I struggle with the 10 pin and miss a whole lot more than I make.

I am using a Black Widow 2.0 hybrid for all shots. On current lane condition the ball does finish hard and ofter hooks past the pin or in the gutter if I miss a little bit right. Keeping with my desire to use only one ball, I now have to be more thoughtful to be sure to change my starting hand position to throw the ball a bit straighter when shooting certain spares. The sharper breaking ball many times just hooks past where it needs to be.

Should I decide to invest in a ball with less movement I have not idea what to consider. I would appreciate any feed back from the group. Currently I have been thinking about a hammer purple solid for this task should I decide to get a spare ball.
star
Positive Axis Point: 5 over 3/4 up
Speed: 17 to 18 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 45
Preferred Company: Storm

Re: Seeking Single Ball Solution

Post by star »

On modern patterns I think someone who is speed challenged like I’m presuming you are,. (Me too by the way.) then I think a spare ball is a must. I love my Storm Mix and quite often use it for strike shots as it shapes off the outside quite nicely.

From what I’ve seen of the purple solid, it does look a very special piece but again with so much dry on the back end of most house shots then that pesky 10 pin can be difficult with slower speeds. If you can completely kill your release you may get away with it.

If you just don’t like carrying two balls then I’d advise you to try to find a house ball that fits you pretty well and try that for 10 pins.

Don’t know if I helped any but I enjoy reading your trials and tribulations of getting back into bowling so much that I though I’d try to help.
BudKennedy

Post by BudKennedy »

You are correct with your assumption. My speed is typically from 13.5 to 14.25 as measured by the lane equipment. At my age there will be no possibility of creating any more speed.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Bud regarding covering the 10 pin.
I followed Norm Dukes example and rolled a straight ball at it and many spares including the bucket.

If you currently spread your index finger, move it next to your middle finger to straighten out the ball.
I shared that tip with a teammate who had trouble with his 10 pin, it worked like a charm for him.
This guy was always in the hunt for league high average, he missed too many 10 pins.
That one change was enough for him.

The fingers that are not inserted do affect the roll characteristics.

Check out this thread on making the 10 pin, especially note the references to Greg Helms. within the thread.

Making the 10 pin

viewtopic.php?p=47035&hilit=Helms#p47035

When learning straight ball release, you can start with a back up ball then gradually adjust your wrist position.

Good reference site, Ron Clifton's tips at bowl4fun
See tip #11 Finger Dancing, it describes the influence of finger positions

https://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/roncarchive.htm

May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John