Morich Finger pitches

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

curtie94

Morich Finger pitches

Post by curtie94 »

Hey guys. I started to drill my own equipment. Im a RH bowler with low tilt and low-medium revs. I started by copying a ball drilled by another proshop. The pitches in the ball where 1/8" left 1/4" forward for the middle finger. 5/8' right 0 forward/reverse for the ring finger. 0 forward/reverse and 0 left/right for the thumb with a 4" span.

I have been a high track bowler for a couple of years now and I clip the thumb occasionally. I have been doing research on performance fitting to see if I can get my track off the thumb.

When using the fan chart I have a 20 degree so I'm in between B and C. Right now Im plugging the middle finger on one of my balls to drill it 1/4" left i'm going to add a 1/4" more forward on the middle finger as well to drill it 1/4" left 1/2" forward.

Im just wondering if I am thinking of this correctly and doing the right adjustments.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Morich Finger pitches

Post by EricHartwell »

I'm not a fitter but I think you are going in the opposite direction with your pitch adjustment.

If you want more Tilt, lower track. you need to get the ball off your hand faster.
Not hang on to it longer, unless you want Negative Tilt or greater than 90* Rotation, or both.

Also when changing pitches, span adjustments need to be made as well.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
curtie94

Post by curtie94 »

So I have been experimenting with different finger pitches. My laterals are fine, I do not hang in the ball and my fingers do not rub. My current pitches are MF 1/4" forward and RF 3/8" Forward. Everything I see online says reverse finger pitches are the norm. So I tried 1/4" reverse on both fingers and adjusted my span to match. It did lower my track a little. But I feel like I lost some control on the ball.

What is everyone using for finger pitches forward or reverse and how much.

BTW my span is 3 15/16" to my RF Cut and 3 13/16" to my MF Cut. I'm also using 1/16" forward thumb pitch 0 left or right. MF Lateral 5/16 L RF 9/16 R
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

I do realize this is an old post, sorry for the late reply I am going to start being more active on the forum once again.

I always recommend proper coaching as realease issues are best worked on at the lanes and many factors come into play. Most often than not the release is not the issue but merely a symptom.

That said, fit is an extremely important part of the release. If your base fit feels comfortable and want to performance fit to add tilt and lower track we need to take the ring finger out of the equation. Move thee RF 3/8 in the reverse direction, if it’s currently 0 go 3/8 reverse only on that finger and add 1/16 to only that span.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
walterp
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over, 5/8 up
Speed: 16 Foul line.
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 13
Heavy Oil Ball: Rotogrip X1 RST
Medium Oil Ball: Nuclear Cell
Light Oil Ball: Fast Pitch polished with slip agent
Preferred Company: Storm/Rotogrip/Global 900

Post by walterp »

curtie94 wrote: December 18th, 2022, 12:41 am So I have been experimenting with different finger pitches. My laterals are fine, I do not hang in the ball and my fingers do not rub. My current pitches are MF 1/4" forward and RF 3/8" Forward. Everything I see online says reverse finger pitches are the norm. So I tried 1/4" reverse on both fingers and adjusted my span to match. It did lower my track a little. But I feel like I lost some control on the ball.

What is everyone using for finger pitches forward or reverse and how much.

BTW my span is 3 15/16" to my RF Cut and 3 13/16" to my MF Cut. I'm also using 1/16" forward thumb pitch 0 left or right. MF Lateral 5/16 L RF 9/16 R
I know this is an old post, but I'm 5/8 reverse, 1/2 left on the MF, 1/2 reverse, 1/2 right on the RF, 3/16 forward, 1/8 left on my thumb. Actual Spans are 4 3/8, 4 7/16.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BowlU 1 star certified coach
Ritger Level 3 coach
IBPSIA certified Technician
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Walter, your fit is probably more in line with what most use today which is what I was taught at Kegel when I took my pro shop class recently. More reverse in fingers with a minimum of 3/8 reverse in fingers and 0 forward in thumb for a 4.5” full span with bottom edge of insert/hole coinciding with line between top two creases for fingertip.

The original poster’s thread is based in the Mo Rich fitting guide which is teached here in the Wiki section. Both ways of fitting are very different. Fitting is an art and ultimately if grip pressure is minimum, hand doesn’t cut or injure and we have good release specs, then to each their own.

The OP’s question has to do about performance fitting which is a topic covered in the advance IPSIA course and also in the Kegel course I took.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
walterp
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over, 5/8 up
Speed: 16 Foul line.
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 13
Heavy Oil Ball: Rotogrip X1 RST
Medium Oil Ball: Nuclear Cell
Light Oil Ball: Fast Pitch polished with slip agent
Preferred Company: Storm/Rotogrip/Global 900

Post by walterp »

TonyPR wrote: May 19th, 2023, 3:35 am Walter, your fit is probably more in line with what most use today which is what I was taught at Kegel when I took my pro shop class recently. More reverse in fingers with a minimum of 3/8 reverse in fingers and 0 forward in thumb for a 4.5” full span with bottom edge of insert/hole coinciding with line between top two creases for fingertip.

The original poster’s thread is based in the Mo Rich fitting guide which is teached here in the Wiki section. Both ways of fitting are very different. Fitting is an art and ultimately if grip pressure is minimum, hand doesn’t cut or injure and we have good release specs, then to each their own.

The OP’s question has to do about performance fitting which is a topic covered in the advance IPSIA course and also in the Kegel course I took.
Performance fits are ok, if the bowler's finger flexibility can tolerate it. I ended up reducing my away pitches on my fingers and shortening my spans a little at a time, for me to go forward with my finger pitches would require a span far shorter than I currently use, and did try it on a old ball and it did not feel comfortable. Fitting is an art, and there are many paths to get to a reduced grip pressure grip, while I never took a course on how to measure a performance grip, I did do a great deal of research on it, including Bill Taylor's theories. My finger pitches were 1 inch away on both fingers, but I felt like I wasn't getting anything on the ball so I slowly reduced over time both my spans and finger reverse pitches to get where I am now.
Cheers
USBC Silver Level Coach
BowlU 1 star certified coach
Ritger Level 3 coach
IBPSIA certified Technician