Questions about arsenal building

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

Stylez78
THS Average: 194
Sport Average: 185
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8" over 3/4" up
Speed: 18 - 18.5mph (off-hand)
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Magic Gem
Medium Oil Ball: Theorem or Absolute
Light Oil Ball: Sublime or Venom Shock
Preferred Company: SPI

Questions about arsenal building

Post by Stylez78 »

I was curious about this after seeing a video on YouTube by Mo Pinel, one of the #MoMonday where he went into building a 5 ball arsenal for Rev dominant/matched/speed dominant players. It seemed quite informative but I was wondering if there was more in-depth info by him about this?

In the video he broke it down by sym and asym balls and the layouts or surface changes but I was curious about how to choose each ball based upon the type of player you are. Each company comes out with a new ball, the marketing hype and the .a.youtibe video of some pro who can strike with it at will but not sure how this helps the avg player. I know there are RG and differential ratings for each ball but I guess all of this can be matched by layouts to how you roll but is that how to choose that first ball? Based on the specs or is it some balls just have better design? Like it seemed everyone loved the Phase II and universally said that ball is awesome.

So for long post but I really am trying to learn and understand this for myself so I can be more.informed when looking at balls. I am sure I can list my speed rev axis and get ball rec or layout rec but I want to understand for myself what to look for or at based on my own style and specs. I appreciate the guidance and advice on any info I can be pointed towards.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Questions about arsenal building

Post by EricHartwell »

You have lots of reading available to you.

Mo had over 10000 posts..

search.php?author_id=137&sr=posts

You could search all of my posts. Most of them are about Layouts, Arsenals and Ball choices....

search.php?author_id=1856&sr=posts

Or use the Search page to look for more specific topics...

search.php

Then you have the Wiki...

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... =Main_Page
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
Stylez78
THS Average: 194
Sport Average: 185
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8" over 3/4" up
Speed: 18 - 18.5mph (off-hand)
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Magic Gem
Medium Oil Ball: Theorem or Absolute
Light Oil Ball: Sublime or Venom Shock
Preferred Company: SPI

Re: Questions about arsenal building

Post by Stylez78 »

EricHartwell wrote: March 26th, 2023, 12:28 am You have lots of reading available to you.

Mo had over 10000 posts..

search.php?author_id=137&sr=posts

You could search all of my posts. Most of them are about Layouts, Arsenals and Ball choices....

search.php?author_id=1856&sr=posts

Or use the Search page to look for more specific topics...

search.php

Then you have the Wiki...

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... =Main_Page
Thank you Eric. I have been looking up and reading a bunch of stuff trying to up my understanding to be a more informed player and consumer. In the past I would just get a ball and whatever the PSO did I tried to make it work for my game. I never really took the time to understand what layouts could do, or how to change surfaces for my benefit or how to even have maybe 3 balls to cover different oil and transition of the lanes.

Even currently getting back into the game when I went to a local PS (I have a lot of options in my area) to just get a spare ball figured take the advice use that and get throwing and working on mechanics etc, I ended up getting a plugged ball in good condition for the same price, the PSO told me it a much better deal better ball etc etc. Put a basic layout (never told me what it was, never asked or even bothered to check PAP, not sure if he could without a ball for me to throw) and while I like the ball and been rolling it a ton, it just doesn't feel right most of the time. I felt like I just needed to learn this for myself and to have more information about the equipment side of things, so I am not just picking random equipment with random layouts. Specifically when it comes to actually choosing which ball to buy or get. Looking at a bunch of local Pro Shops, some don't carry certain brands and I am sure a PSO wouldn't recommend a brand he doesn't carry and I know some brands have "better" balls or certain lines have better blocks, cores coverstocks etc. So I really was curious how if starting fresh and once I get an understanding on all my numbers and some layout numbers how to choose the right ball and from the right manufacturer.

Not to go on a tangent but every ball I owned in the past (this is going back to about 15 years ago) I'd go to different shops, try to get a rapport but never felt anyone took the time to get it right for me. All the balls I ended up owning all felt ehh for me, I think I went through maybe 6-8 different ones over a period and a few different leagues. Finally after a league mate told me to stop messing around and get a coach. Got a coach and sent me to the internet forum, got some numbers and was given a ball choice to get, think it was a Twisted Fury and man my avg went up about 30+ pins over all leagues. Sorry for the long trip down memory lane for me...lol...but I always wondered man, why that ball? Why out of all the balls on the market, did most people say get that one. So down the rabbit hole, looking up all this info and it just got me wondering is it brand loyalty most times? do some companies just have better balls, covers or cores for a certain line and how does one know if all the youtube hype video pretty much say every ball is great.

again thanks for the info,