Marks on Bowling Balls

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

keithburke

Marks on Bowling Balls

Post by keithburke »

Hello,

I have an arsenal of bowling balls that include:

Storm Proton Physix
Storm Infinite Physix
Storm Phaze 111
Storm Absolute
Motive Sky Raptor

Question is that all of my balls have thee marks on them, and they start with the first roll of them. All marks are in the same location on each ball. I believe they are where my ball is hitting the lane upon release. I don’t drop the ball or lift the ball, though there may be a slight drop upon release. I seem to be the only one on my league of 48 people who have this issue, despite them rolling the same balls in some cases. Any idea what’s causing this or what I can do to fix it? Like I said, it happens on all my balls, from the very first roll. It doesn’t appear that these marks are in my track, but then again, I’m not sure if it’s affecting the rotation or performance of my ball.

My bowling style is a stroker and I roll around 15-16 mph with very little revs as I tend to stay behind the ball because I don’t have the hand for it. I usually play down and in if that helps. I have attached a couple of images.

Thanks for your advice!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Re: Marks on Bowling Balls

Post by TomaHawk »

The only time I've seen those marks on a bowling ball? The ball was released before the foul line (on the approach). I should also mention, the approach was wood, not synthetic.
keithburke

Post by keithburke »

The lanes I roll on are synthetic, as well as the approaches. I’m pretty sure I’m not releasing before the foul line as that’s what I thought at first as well but I’ll have to record some video just to make sure. Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.
star
Positive Axis Point: 5 over 3/4 up
Speed: 17 to 18 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 45
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by star »

I agree with TomaHawk. What it may be is marks from hitting the lane just short or just over the foul line as most centres in the UK do not oil the first foot or so of the lane. Don’t know if it is the same in the US but if it is it does cause burn marks even on synthetic lanes.

I know I have had a few when my swing got a little steep when I starting back up bowling again.
keithburke

Post by keithburke »

After watching some video today you both may be right. I definitely set the ball down right at the foul line. Not before the foul line but maybe just close enough to cause the burn marks. I’m gonna ask the center if they oil the very front of the lane.
star
Positive Axis Point: 5 over 3/4 up
Speed: 17 to 18 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 11
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by star »

You can usually tell if they oil the font foot or so as it looks matte finish, same as the approach if there’s no oil on the first few inches of lane.
Another way is to have a wander up when you’re in practice and rub your finger about an inch or so onto the lane. If anyone says anything just say you’re removing bit of lint off the lane.

Like I say anyone who has become a little steep in the swing by leaning with too much waist bend will have experienced this. Just work on a little more knee bend to create a longer flat spot should hopefully solve it.
walterp
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over, 5/8 up
Speed: 16 Foul line.
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 13
Heavy Oil Ball: Rotogrip X1 RST
Medium Oil Ball: Nuclear Cell
Light Oil Ball: Fast Pitch polished with slip agent
Preferred Company: Storm/Rotogrip/Global 900

Post by walterp »

keithburke wrote: February 8th, 2023, 9:56 pm After watching some video today you both may be right. I definitely set the ball down right at the foul line. Not before the foul line but maybe just close enough to cause the burn marks. I’m gonna ask the center if they oil the very front of the lane.
Could be that they don't oil the first 3 feet because of open bowlers stepping past the foul line and slipping and falling.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BowlU 1 star certified coach
Ritger Level 3 coach
IBPSIA certified Technician