Tips to improve my physical game.

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
lasso914

Tips to improve my physical game.

Post by lasso914 »

Hello everyone,

My first post here and i am bowling 2 handed since April 2022, i have made imo a good progress but currently kinda stuck on improving my physical game.
Here is a couple of videos, my problem as i see it are 2 main things and please correct me if i am wrong, The first is my spine tilt where i have more than lateral spine tilt resulting in bringing the ball during the down swing outside of my head which when i try to project it onto the lane creates the 2nd problem, Shoulder malrotation and completely missing up the release. I also recieved a tip to fix my swing plane, but i cant seem to figure out how to fix it with my elbow tucked into my body.
I bowl with 14 lbs, my speed about 20-23 km/h and rev rate is mid (400ish). Camera is setup at 30 fps (sorry for the bad quality)

Back view
https://youtube.com/shorts/ZX61e-9gkN8

Side view
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/VRjHA724svU

Edit 24.02.2023:
Thanks Coach Dean for the answer, i try to lean forward early to get my spine tilt correctly at the release, the early timing is something i definitly needs to work on.
I have uploaded the back view again on youtube as normal video. I would be appreciated for your input on it as well!

Shot 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS544f7BCBE
Shot 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbHIFMEvlUs

In shot 2 i tried to bring the ball closer to my ankle but i still have problems creating that down swing path with shoulder rotation correctly, as i feel dow there limited and not being able to fully abduct my bowling shoulder.

Thanks alot for the answers, i am going to training in next 2 days and will try to take a video on how i try to apply those things in practice.
Last edited by lasso914 on February 28th, 2023, 9:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Re: Tips to improve my physical game.

Post by deanchamp »

Hi,

It is very difficult to track what you are doing using YouTube shorts, but from the side view you are leaning forward too early, getting your head ahead of your feet, and you have early timing at the release. Try staying a bit more upright and balanced in your first 2 steps, and getting the ball started a bit later and waiting on it as it drops to the release.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Post by deanchamp »

Thanks for the additional uploads. The key to all bowling is being relaxed, as muscle tends to try and override what your body wants to naturally do. Improper technique also hinders a relaxed swing. On the upswing, you want to try and get the ball under your armpit, bending your right elbow to achieve this. The right arm then straightens on the downswing and your wrist stays cupped as the ball's weight is carried by your left hand. Keeping your arms straight is ok, but you won't generate the same power. The other thing that seems to be happening is the ball is getting too far left at the top of the swing, and the only place it can go from there is around your body and away from your slide foot. Your first 2 steps go left, and this is pulling the ball in that direction as well. 2-handers that step left start with the ball in front of their body - your ball is in front of your shoulder so your first step can go straighter.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Dean, would practicing with a prop in front of a mirror be helpful.

Your thoughts?
Share the info and instructions with a friend who will observe and give feedback.
Have a friend take videos for instant review at center.
Video fro recommended angles.
Use light House ball as a prop for weight and dimension.
If not easily doable perhaps, do some work in front of a mirror or other reflective surface.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John