Technology has ruined bowling

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

oldbowler

Technology has ruined bowling

Post by oldbowler »

Used to love to bowl, usually in 3 leagues and practice 2 other times a week. As one of the highest average bowlers in my city of 125,000 I was looked up too because of my powerfull hook. Then in 1994 the resin ball came out, like everyone my avg went up, mine from 190 to 220. It was fun for a while, but I soon realized that too many times I was rewarded with strikes when I had missed my target or had poor release. All I had to do was stand left and throw right and I could hardly miss the pocket. It was frustrating to see bowlers who never practiced and used to have nothing on their ball suddenly just dump the ball on the lane and avg 190 an avg I used to work hard for. I believe the ball makers saw the profits that the golf club makers had and wanted that. The only problem I that golf had the USGA that tested balls and clubs to make sure skill wasn't taken out of the sport. In bowling it took too much accuracy and technique out of the game. In golf a bogey golfer can buy the top of the line clubs to replace your Wall-Mart set but will still shoot bogey golf unless he practices and improves his game. The lane owners could have also stopped the change in bowling my making the lanes harder so the reactive super balls did not lead to super scores. They felt that higher scores would make happy bowlers who would bowl more and drink more beer. It did just the opposite. Bowlers didn't need to practice to score higher or bowl in more than 1 league to score better, they just needed a big arsenal of balls for every lane condition. Like me many quit the sport. I know its too late to go back and change the sport and get rid of these conditions. But It is what is needed.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Technology has ruined bowling

Post by kajmk »

Welcome to Bowlingchat.
I feel your pain.
Some might contend that the games we play and home we play them, reveal much about our society.

One of the challenges of life is the perspective of changing times. As Monk would say, "It's a blessing and a curse"

As they say, the Genie is out of the lamp.
It would be nice to read respectful comments and salient points from our members.
Ball technology has put an emphasis on physics and chemistry, as evidenced by the genius of Mo Pinel. I have a great deal of respect for PSO'S who have mastered the many nuances of matching, ball, to bowler, to lane conditions.

Sucking the genie back into the lamp would have dire economic consequences for PSO's.

Your philosopy might be neatly encapsulated in the byline of the old Smith Barney commercials with John Houseman.

Changes will be dictated at the cash register. Proprietors have to supply the product their customers want. Things boil down to what is cost efficient.
If there is demand for challenging conditions, that demand will be addressed.

Our demands reveal our "nature".
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
oldbowler

Post by oldbowler »

I have never gotten philosophical about the downfall of bowling, but yes perhaps it speaks to the nature of society now that wants instant gratification without working for it. We want technology to solve all our problems and to make our bowling score bigger. I do know that once bowling was one of the highest rated shows on TV, league bowlers used to respect the pros for their talent and used to watch for tips from Nelson Burton Jr. not worried about what ball they were throwing. Today golf has taken bowling's spot not because it is easy but the opposite, it is a tough challenge that takes constant work to improve. Bowling had some advantages it through away. You can play all year round, not just 7 months a year. It has perfect weather no humidity, bugs
or crowded course were you wait 5 minutes for every shot. You can have servers bring you food and beverages in minutes. Now I see half the bowling centers we used to have in town, and those open have fewer leagues and must have gimmick's like laser bowing. I hope golf never allows a club that allows me with slower swing speed to hit a ball as far as Tiger Woods, or a ball that I can program to hook or slice with a program button from my smart phone.
Daryl
THS Average: 226
Positive Axis Point: 5 13/16 x 5/16 up
Speed: 15.38 at foul line
Rev Rate: 390
Axis Tilt: 18
Axis Rotation: 55

Post by Daryl »

I feel the same way, and had the same experience. Was usually high average in scratch leagues averaging low 210's. Stopped bowling about 6 years ago averaging 228. There were no scratch leagues in the area I moved to. Got tired of giving away so many pins to bowlers who did not put the time in. My last year of bowling just for fun I bowled a no tap league and averaged 270. The next season the league raised the handicap to a 300 average. I was done. I miss the game and bowl once and awhile, but I do miss the old days when the Black Hammer was the modern ball and it took skill to through good games even on a house shot.
Right Handed Stats:
RPM (off hand) 390
Speed (off hand) 15.3 mph
Axis Tilt; 18 degrees
Axis Rotation: 55 degrees
PAP: 5 13/16" x 5/16" up
BudKennedy

Post by BudKennedy »

Daryl, I can't agree that technology has ruined the game. What it has done is changed the game dramatically and some may say not for the better. The fact remains that the playing field as it were is the same for everyone. Wile I agree that the conditions and scores are certainly much better and higher than in the distant past we must accept that this applies to all elements of our modern life. From the electronics in our pockets to the vehicles we drive and the wages we earn today are certainly changed.

I have just returned to the game after a few decades away and fully realize that this is not the game of my youth. I accept these changes and will do my best to be my best and hopefully even be somewhat able to compete once again. I don't think I have earned the right to complain about the modern game. In my day I was a scratch bowler and carried an average in the mid to upper 190s . A 190 average today is not such a much from what I am currently seeing. I am ok with that and am looking forward to the competition within my skill and age level and who knows maybe even have one of those lofty averages one day. Like yesteryear the game is about participation and practice and the ability to be a superior spare shooter because not every ball can be a strike.