BOWLING IN THE NOW

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BudKennedy

BOWLING IN THE NOW

Post by BudKennedy »

One of the things many Senior age people have to struggle with is living too much in the past. As a Senior myself I certainly can relate. Now that I have decided to return to bowling at my age is a wee bit of culture shock as well as a realization that the ability of the body is often quite a bit different than in the long ago past.

Recently I went on line to watch some of the old Championship Bowling videos. It was a lot of fun to see some of the stars that I remember from my younger days. Their game was quite a bit different than the current modern game. The old style of bowling was more of a smooth presentation and certainly a lot less athletic than the modern-day professionals. Nonetheless the old guys could get the job done and achieve scores that by today’s standards would not impress too many folks but were competitive in their day

As I re started the game, it did not take long to realize how much my body had changed. In particular, overall strength and flexibility. Although I doubt that I can recover some of the old glory, I sure am going to give it my best try. Another big part of the new game is to fondly remember how I performed up to 50 years ago and to accept today’s abilities and requirements of the game. Believe me when I say that is not all that easy to pull off. The scores today are so much higher but the skills of the average bowler don’t seem to be all that fantastic. Granted this is just an initial reaction on my part. I am from an era where what mattered was the score and the win record.

Fact is I don’t have a time machine and will have to accept the limitations of my aging body. Although I still want to compete, I may have to set my sights a whole lot lower than the past. I am now learning the new game and seem to be making quantum performance gains on a personal level and hopefully will be able to compete again someday but within my own age and skill level. This new game is still a bit strange to me but I fully accept the reality of what it has become and will try my best to be my best. After all that is about all any of us can expect. I am excited to see how my return to bowling goes. Now as a Senior bowler it becomes a matter of maintaining health and not injure myself in the process. These are some of the limits that come with being an old geezer.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: BOWLING IN THE NOW

Post by kajmk »

You have a winning attitude and realistic approach.
Don't sell yourself short though. Keep trying to be your best, you may surprise yourself.

I admire your return after the layoff.

As Satchel Paige asked, "How old would you be, if you did not know how old you are?"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satchel_Paige

"At age 42 in 1948, Paige made his debut for the Cleveland Indians; to this day, this makes him the oldest debutant in the National League or American League history. Additionally, Paige was 59 years old when he played his last major league game, which is also a record that stands to this day."

Some quotes.
Satchel Paige Quotes
Work like you don't need the money. ...
How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? ...
Don't look back. ...
Age is a case of mind over matter. ...
Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ...
Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be common.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Re: BOWLING IN THE NOW

Post by TomaHawk »

kajmk wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 12:26 am
As Satchel Paige asked, "How old would you be, if you did not know how old you are?"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satchel_Paige
To answer Satchel's question: 29 years old :D