balance hole

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

turbotwister
Preferred Company: storm

balance hole

Post by turbotwister »

after they made changes about bowling balls that had a balance hole, I had my pro shop plug the balance hole in an older ball. will that change the roll/reaction, or should I have the ball plugged and re-drilled even though it still fits? thanks
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: balance hole

Post by EricHartwell »

I am not a fan of plug and redrills. It is too dificult to predict the the final outcome.
Roll it and find out. It may end up being in a different place in your arsenal but still usable.

Depending on the location of the balance hole.
P2 balance holes were used to adjust static weight and had little affect on the ball motion,

I had several balls that were motion holed. Once plugged they no longer fit into my arsenal and went into the dumpster.
I have only 1 ball left that has a plugged balance hole. P3 It is not the same but it is still usable.
I had the use of a Determinator and the results were as if the balance was smaller.
The plug material was not as dense as the core material that had been removed.
The PSA did not move completely back to it's original location.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
turbotwister

Post by turbotwister »

....that's kind of what I was thinking about that,as it has to change the roll somewhat. It just doesn't seem to be the same as it once was. thanx
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

We've plugged, literally, hundreds of balance holes, cannot recall anyone having issues with performance. ***None of the holes were in the P4 location.

We also adjust the surface of the ball accordingly. Arguably, surface probably has more impact on ball reaction than plugging the weight hole.
turbotwister

Post by turbotwister »

TomaHawk, do you adjust ball surface to factory or accordingly to what your lanes call for?
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

turbotwister wrote: January 4th, 2023, 9:46 pm TomaHawk, do you adjust ball surface to factory or accordingly to what your lanes call for?
For the most part, we adjust the surface according to how the lanes are playing.