Bowling Ball Surface Scanners

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

Glenn

Bowling Ball Surface Scanners

Post by Glenn »

I am crying in my beer!

About a year ago, I bought the handheld version of the PAI Surface Scanner, and paid about $1K for it.
It's been a useful tool for me, but was a little pricey.

Now, I discover that CTD has come out with their version 2 of the surface scanner for about $550.
I think it is an advancement over the PAI scanner as it gives a more granular, digital readout.
It appears to be based on glossmeter technology, and thus is "blind" to white and clear bowling balls (so it the PAI).
They talk about calibrating the scanner being much more efficient in version 2 as it was a little cumbersome in version 1.
I don't know what's involved with this calibration thing, and the PAI unit is not user calibrated as far as I know.
I haven't seen a user manual for the CTD scanner anywhere online.

Anybody got any experience with the CTD scanner?
Bowling Is More Art Than Science
"Glenn is not an expert..."
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Re: Bowling Ball Surface Scanners

Post by TomaHawk »

Glenn wrote: October 6th, 2022, 1:22 am I am crying in my beer!

About a year ago, I bought the handheld version of the PAI Surface Scanner, and paid about $1K for it.
It's been a useful tool for me, but was a little pricey.

Anybody got any experience with the CTD scanner?
Geez, 1K for a surface scanner, now its $550.00? It should be free! We found, every time a new abrasion pad was used, the result was near what was expected...
TheJesus
Speed: 17mph (foul line)
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12

Re: Bowling Ball Surface Scanners

Post by TheJesus »

I highly doubt that CTD "made a scanner". Most probably they hired PAI to make a "ctd version" of their own handheld. From what i gather there isn't any performance improvement between the 1st one and version 2.

I have the original daddy, the desktop one, and even though it is hard to use on the lanes, i prefer it because the handheld ones only measure one spot at a time. But i can see how they can be useful for a quick scan here and there. Might get one some day, but i'll wait for it to become better.
Check out my bowling related YouTube channel ! BOWLING XP ! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cTYc ... Eynuk0qdIw :mrgreen: