New Cleaner Rule

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
pjape

New Cleaner Rule

Post by pjape »

First of all, if this has been discussed already, sorry; I haven't been on the site as much recently.

Why on earth has the USBC outlawed all cleaners during competition, even the ones that do not change the ball surface whatsoever?? It makes no sense to me at all.

Please, enlighten me. :?:
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: New Cleaner Rule

Post by bowl1820 »

pjape wrote:First of all, if this has been discussed already, sorry; I haven't been on the site as much recently.

Why on earth has the USBC outlawed all cleaners during competition, even the ones that do not change the ball surface whatsoever?? It makes no sense to me at all.

Please, enlighten me. :?:
One reason would be because there are some cleaners, that while approved for anytime use. Do alter how the ball performs, one example would be ole roys late shift which would while cleanng the ball would reduce how much it hooked or the some ctd products that supposedly increased hook.
Also a lot tournaments such as the nationals already didnt allow use of cleaners during competition. So Extending that rule to leagues would be a logical extention of that.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
imagonman
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by imagonman »

bowl1820 wrote: One reason would be because there are some cleaners, that while approved for anytime use. Do alter how the ball performs, one example would be ole roys late shift which would while cleanng the ball would reduce how much it hooked or the some ctd products that supposedly increased hook.
Also a lot tournaments such as the nationals already didnt allow use of cleaners during competition. So Extending that rule to leagues would be a logical extention of that.
You used the word "Logical" when referring to the USBC...…………
THAT"S HILARIOUS!!!!!!
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

All you had to do is pour out the "Approved" cleaner and pour in whatever you wanted into the "approved" bottle. There goes my strategy on the Bear pattern. jk :roll:
Seriously my best look was with urethane and wiping it with Approved cleaner every frame.

There was no way to police what people were using.

Allowing them in the first place was another short term money grab to get people to buy ball cleaners.

I predict they will repeal the 3 oz limits and not give back the balance holes in a few years so they can sell more balls again in the future. That is what kind of forward thinking this industry has.

edit for spelling
Last edited by EricHartwell on August 14th, 2018, 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
Viper
THS Average: 199
Sport Average: 172
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/2 up
Speed: 15 at the foul line
Rev Rate: 315
Axis Tilt: 15
Medium Oil Ball: 14 lbs. Hammer Raw Orange/Black Hybrid

Post by Viper »

I just downloaded the USBC rule book for 2018-2019 and the section on approved cleaners during competition still exists. If anyone has a source for this rule changing, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Left-handed
PAP 5 x 1/2 up
Tilt: 15*
Rot: 45*
Rev: 315
Speed: 15 at the camera
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

Viper wrote:I just downloaded the USBC rule book for 2018-2019 and the section on approved cleaners during competition still exists. If anyone has a source for this rule changing, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
https://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622331019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This was the article that stated "The change allowing only a dry towel to clean bowling balls during competition becomes effective Aug. 1, 2019. It eliminates the use of liquid cleaners of any kind during competition, which aligns with other changes to ensure equipment is not manipulated during competition. "

It is about half way down in the article.

So you won't see it in the rules until 2019-2020 season.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

Metaphorically, if the sport of bowling is pregnant, the new rules make it only a little pregnant.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
Viper
THS Average: 199
Sport Average: 172
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/2 up
Speed: 15 at the foul line
Rev Rate: 315
Axis Tilt: 15
Medium Oil Ball: 14 lbs. Hammer Raw Orange/Black Hybrid

Post by Viper »

EricHartwell wrote: https://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622331019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This was the article that stated "The change allowing only a dry towel to clean bowling balls during competition becomes effective Aug. 1, 2019. It eliminates the use of liquid cleaners of any kind during competition, which aligns with other changes to ensure equipment is not manipulated during competition. "

It is about half way down in the article.

So you won't see it in the rules until 2019-2020 season.
Thanks!
Left-handed
PAP 5 x 1/2 up
Tilt: 15*
Rot: 45*
Rev: 315
Speed: 15 at the camera