How does the ball keep the pins low.

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

How does the ball keep the pins low.

Post by bowl1820 »

"This ball really keeps the pins low"

I've heard this statement many times over the years about this ball or that ball. Then someone asked why and I got thinking about it.

What is suppose to be keeping the pins low? is it some property of the ball? or the angle, speed of the ball as it hits?

Or is it just marketing?
Last edited by bowl1820 on October 27th, 2012, 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Re: How does a ball keep the pins low.

Post by Mo Pinel »

bowl1820 wrote:"This ball really keeps the pins low"

I've heard this statement many times over the years about this ball or that ball. Then someone asked why and I got thinking about it.

What is suppose to be keeping the pins low? is it some property of the ball? or the angle, speed of the ball as it hits?

Or is it just marketing?

The balls doesn't keep the pins low; GRAVITY DOES!!!

The rest is BULL PUCKY!!!!!
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

Mo Pinel wrote:
The balls doesn't keep the pins low; GRAVITY DOES!!!

The rest is BULL PUCKY!!!!!
Thanks Mo! I had heard that so many times and seen it in reviews. It never dawned on me to ask just what the heck it was supposed to be doing.

I figure "This ball carries the corners better too" fits in there some where also.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
millertime0299

Post by millertime0299 »

Sounds like "marketing"...otherwise known as "lying". People repeat what they hear others say...the "others" being whichever ball company is using that description to market their product. My favorites are "continuation through the pins", "kicks out the corners better than my old ball", and "keeps the pins low". Another one is "this ball hits harder". What the hell does that mean? Did you throw it harder? Did it sprout an arm midway down the lane and punch the head pin before it rolled through the pin deck? I find myself biting my lip every week during league when talking about different equipment. I hear these statements all the time and it's all I can do to keep my mouth shut and not offend anyone by pointing out how crazy these statements are.
smokymountain

Post by smokymountain »

It may be imaginary, but I believe that my LevRG hits harder than my RipR. I weighed them and the RipR is actually 1/2 oz. heavier than the LevRG. My teammates will tell you that they see and hear the same difference that I do, louder impact with the pins, more energy imparted to the pins. We are talking about the same delivery, slightly different path but the same entry angle. After three straight ringing 10's, I switched from the RipR to the LevRG, moved 2 and 1 right and hit the pocket 8 times before leaving another 10 pin. Is it not right to say it hit harder?
rmack
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 000
Sport Average: 2
Positive Axis Point: 5.OOO by .25 up
Speed: 17ish @ foul line
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 80
Heavy Oil Ball: Panda solid
Medium Oil Ball: incog pearl
Light Oil Ball: bonus pearl
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by rmack »

smokymountain wrote:It may be imaginary, but I believe that my LevRG hits harder than my RipR. I weighed them and the RipR is actually 1/2 oz. heavier than the LevRG. My teammates will tell you that they see and hear the same difference that I do, louder impact with the pins, more energy imparted to the pins. We are talking about the same delivery, slightly different path but the same entry angle. After three straight ringing 10's, I switched from the RipR to the LevRG, moved 2 and 1 right and hit the pocket 8 times before leaving another 10 pin. Is it not right to say it hit harder?

How about "Right now, on this condition, my LevRg is a better solution to knocking over all 10 pins than my RipR".

We are not robots, small changes in variables make for small differences in ball reaction...
which sometimes makes a big difference in carry % :D
Ron Machniak
http://www.precisionbowlingproshop.com
MoRich/Innovative Bowling Advanced Certified Technician
Radical Bowling Pro Shop Advisory Staff
Ibpsia Certified Tech, USBC Bronze Coach
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

smokymountain wrote:It may be imaginary, but I believe that my LevRG hits harder than my RipR. I weighed them and the RipR is actually 1/2 oz. heavier than the LevRG. My teammates will tell you that they see and hear the same difference that I do, louder impact with the pins, more energy imparted to the pins. We are talking about the same delivery, slightly different path but the same entry angle. After three straight ringing 10's, I switched from the RipR to the LevRG, moved 2 and 1 right and hit the pocket 8 times before leaving another 10 pin. Is it not right to say it hit harder?
I often pick which ball I will start with based on how loud I think I hear it hit the pins in warm ups (imaginary or not). Change the oil a little and they might reverse reactions. I think it has a lot to do with how the skid/hook/ roll is matching up to the conditions on that particular night. Mo always says strong is weak on dry,etc..
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

In that case the LevRG matched up better than the RipR. On other occasions, on different conditions, it may be the other way around.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
DAVIDINIL
THS Average: 228
Positive Axis Point: 5 right x 5/8 up
Speed: 18 CATS
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 45
Preferred Company: storm

Post by DAVIDINIL »

COuld also be that the fit in one of the balls is slightly different and account for a slightly better roll profile.
Press the + button if you feel I've been helpful

Rev Rate - 350
Speed (CATS) - 17
Axis Tilt - 15
Axis Rotation - 30-60
Sport Shot Avg - 208
THS Avg - 229
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: How does the ball keep the pins low.

Post by kajmk »

Any credence to the statement ?
Assuming good angle of entry and stage of precession ...
"the tilted axis strongly increases the the opportunity to strike by the nature of it's position, which if properly taken, will cause the pins that are hit (1-3-5) to move off the lane not only in an ideal direction (more sideways) but also in a more opportunistic way (horizontally)."

Fact, fiction, an archaic vestige of theory?
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
bowlaj
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 200
Heavy Oil Ball: Brunswick Mastermind
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Hyroad Pearl
Light Oil Ball: Radical Rack Attack Cherry Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: How does the ball keep the pins low.

Post by bowlaj »

In the ol' days, I thought low rolling track kept pins lows vs. higher track...

kinda like pins exiting horizontally vs. vertically.
Click my green + rep button if this helps!

USBC Bronze Coach

PBA60-Radical Staffer wannabe