Dodo Scale options

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

BackInTheGame
THS Average: 193
Positive Axis Point: 5" x 1/4" up
Speed: 17.5 qubica monitor.
Rev Rate: 275
Axis Tilt: 7
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Jet Altitude, MoRich Mania
Medium Oil Ball: Jet Armor, Cell Pearl, Cell, Anaconda
Light Oil Ball: Lane #1 Chainsaw
Preferred Company: No preferance

Dodo Scale options

Post by BackInTheGame »

So what are my options when it comes to searching for a Dodo Scale for my home shop?

Kaufman $1000+ (not realistic for a home shop), used at $500-$800 still too expensive.

AMF, they seem to pop up from time to time on eBay and go for around $400. Getting closer...

KMT, It looks clumsy, but would probably do the job for $375 new. I have yet to see a used one...

Any others I should keep an eye out for?

I tried to win an auction for a Jayhawk True Ball scale, but was out bid. Then I read that they are not very good anyway, but it looked great and appeared to take up less space than a dodo scale.

I guess I could ask the shop owner where I bowl to weigh a ball for me, then again, he might view me as a potential competitor even though I only intend on drilling for myself...for now.
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Dodo Scale options

Post by elgavachon »

BackInTheGame wrote:So what are my options when it comes to searching for a Dodo Scale for my home shop?

Kaufman $1000+ (not realistic for a home shop), used at $500-$800 still too expensive.

AMF, they seem to pop up from time to time on eBay and go for around $400. Getting closer...

KMT, It looks clumsy, but would probably do the job for $375 new. I have yet to see a used one...

Any others I should keep an eye out for?

I tried to win an auction for a Jayhawk True Ball scale, but was out bid. Then I read that they are not very good anyway, but it looked great and appeared to take up less space than a dodo scale.

I guess I could ask the shop owner where I bowl to weigh a ball for me, then again, he might view me as a potential competitor even though I only intend on drilling for myself...for now.
If you learn to use the jayhawk, It is a good scale (for in house) all you really need to do is find out how much wt. is needed to counter balance 1 oz on Kaufman. They are different.
BackInTheGame

Post by BackInTheGame »

elgavachon wrote: If you learn to use the jayhawk, It is a good scale (for in house) all you really need to do is find out how much wt. is needed to counter balance 1 oz on Kaufman. They are different.
If I were to find one for a reasonable price, I'd probably give it a shot. In a way I am kicking myself for not going a little higher on the one that sold on ebay a few weeks ago. Maybe someone here knows a shop that is looking to get rid of some kind of scale? ;)
hdxl2000

Post by hdxl2000 »

I had the Jayhawk. I tried it because I got a good deal on it compared to a dodo. But, it wasn't too great. Say for example you had a ball with known 1/2oz positive side weight. I got 1/2 pos with the positive side of the ball to the right when looking at the scale, BUT if I flipped the ball so the positive side was to the left, I no longer got 1/2 oz of side weight. It would be more like 3/4. This test should have come out with an identical side weight regardless of whether the heavy side of the ball was placed left or right on the scale. I'd hold out for a good dodo. That's what I use now.
Ajvand0

Post by Ajvand0 »

ebay is probably the most inexpensive route. Sometimes if you contact pro shop suppliers they will have used equipment for sale at reasonable prices. Send an email to jayhawk or maybe John at innovative and they may have some used equipment to sell.
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

hdxl2000 wrote:I had the Jayhawk. I tried it because I got a good deal on it compared to a dodo. But, it wasn't too great. Say for example you had a ball with known 1/2oz positive side weight. I got 1/2 pos with the positive side of the ball to the right when looking at the scale, BUT if I flipped the ball so the positive side was to the left, I no longer got 1/2 oz of side weight. It would be more like 3/4. This test should have come out with an identical side weight regardless of whether the heavy side of the ball was placed left or right on the scale. I'd hold out for a good dodo. That's what I use now.
I got one did the same thing. so I always weigh the ball so the weight has to be added to the left. Then I found a ball which weighed 1 oz on the dodo scales and found how many dimes would = 1 oz in comparison. I had to weigh the dimes and look for certain ones because not all dimes are equal. I picked 35 grain dimes. It takes 9 35 grain dimes to = 1 oz using this method. Very simple now.
Not all dodo scales are equal either. I did the same thing for 3 oz.
I bought the scale for $25.00. Works great while you are shopping for a kaufman.
TH58PZ700U
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 194
Positive Axis Point: 5" Right, 1/2" Up
Speed: 17.25 mph (avg off hand)
Rev Rate: 340
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50
Heavy Oil Ball: Taboo
Medium Oil Ball: Arson
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer (2001)
Preferred Company: Hammer

Post by TH58PZ700U »

Not the best route....but in the back of our local house we have an old, mostly rusted out pro shop. However, the Kaufman scale has been sheltered in a cabinet and is in great working order. Might have to think outside the box to find what you're looking for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOWLING-BALL-SC ... 500wt_1413" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With access to a sandblaster that might not be a bad option, no?
USBC Certified Bronze Coach

PAP: 5" Right, 1/2" Up
Speed: 17.25 (avg off hand)
Rev: 300-360 rpm (340 avg)
Axis Tilt: 15-25*
Axis Rotation: 30-70*

High Game: 286
High Series: 693
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

TH58PZ700U wrote:Not the best route....but in the back of our local house we have an old, mostly rusted out pro shop. However, the Kaufman scale has been sheltered in a cabinet and is in great working order. Might have to think outside the box to find what you're looking for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOWLING-BALL-SC ... 500wt_1413" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't see where you would adjust the total ball wt. No counter balance wts. If you are switching from a 12# ball to a 16# ball for example. Anyone familiar with this? Am I missing something?
BackInTheGame

Post by BackInTheGame »

TH58PZ700U wrote:Not the best route....but in the back of our local house we have an old, mostly rusted out pro shop. However, the Kaufman scale has been sheltered in a cabinet and is in great working order. Might have to think outside the box to find what you're looking for.

I made an offer on that one soon after it was posted and then realized that there are no weights...
I was thinking about doing a complete resoration on it.
StrikeTheory
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Heavy Oil Ball: Motiv Cruel or Mutant Cell Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Rising Star
Light Oil Ball: Silver Recon or Frenzy

Post by StrikeTheory »

I am kind of surprised we haven't moved to a more digital model with ball weighing. I know Jayhawk sells an automated digital version, but it is very costly.

I have an idea of what this device should look like, and how it should operate.

It would work almost exactly like a kaufman scale, but without the beam, and a fraction of the weight/size.

Total weight is determined just by resting the ball in the rest.

As it is rotated, it applies differing amounts downward force to a multipoint sensor underneath the ball rest. This device is calibrated to read the amount of offset, and give an indication of static weights.

I have a bit of a background in electronics, and have actually put a bit of thought into building one. The parts list was around 60 dollars retail.
kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Post by kellytehuna »

If you build it, they will come! HA!
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
BackInTheGame

Post by BackInTheGame »

StrikeTheory wrote:I am kind of surprised we haven't moved to a more digital model with ball weighing. I know Jayhawk sells an automated digital version, but it is very costly.

It would work almost exactly like a kaufman scale, but without the beam, and a fraction of the weight/size.

As it is rotated, it applies differing amounts downward force to a multipoint sensor underneath the ball rest. This device is calibrated to read the amount of offset, and give an indication of static weights.

I have a bit of a background in electronics, and have actually put a bit of thought into building one. The parts list was around 60 dollars retail.
The jayhawk one is around $3K.

If you think you can build something and materials will only cost you $60, I say go for it!
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

I know how to build one, but just haven't figured out how to set up the jig to saw the ball exactly in half! :lol: -- JohnP
georgeh

Post by georgeh »

BackInTheGame wrote: I made an offer on that one soon after it was posted and then realized that there are no weights...
I was thinking about doing a complete resoration on it.
Through eBay I asked the seller if the weights were available. The exact response "I do not have any additional items with the scale

one bar is for 1/8 oz and the other is 1/4 oz in increments for a total of 15 lbs 4 oz for the only weights are on the slide part. It zeros and then you slide the
weights to offset balance
You can make an offer accordingly"
I don't think so.

That scale is trashed beyond restoration. It's missing so many parts that replacement cost will put you near a used scale. You're lucky it expired or declined.
TH58PZ700U
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 194
Positive Axis Point: 5" Right, 1/2" Up
Speed: 17.25 mph (avg off hand)
Rev Rate: 340
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50
Heavy Oil Ball: Taboo
Medium Oil Ball: Arson
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer (2001)
Preferred Company: Hammer

Post by TH58PZ700U »

StrikeTheory wrote:I am kind of surprised we haven't moved to a more digital model with ball weighing. I know Jayhawk sells an automated digital version, but it is very costly.

I've had similar ideas but not the knowledge to implement them. If you ever succeed in building one let us know so we can buy one!

EDIT: http://newhaven.craigslist.org/for/3206409535.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just found that. Curious, you ever looked on Craigslist? I've found a lot of good deals on there, just none even remotely close to where I live.
USBC Certified Bronze Coach

PAP: 5" Right, 1/2" Up
Speed: 17.25 (avg off hand)
Rev: 300-360 rpm (340 avg)
Axis Tilt: 15-25*
Axis Rotation: 30-70*

High Game: 286
High Series: 693
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

I wish the USBC would step up and loosen the static weight rules so we dont have to use these scales much anymore. I mean really, what are we measuring for? Just to appease a rule?
BackInTheGame

Post by BackInTheGame »

Thanks to larbowl, a scale will be arriving at my door tomorrow! Thanks Larry!
johnvelo

Post by johnvelo »

G'Day,

I did a review of the KMT Dodo for Steve at KMT.

Pretty hand tool. Review maybe found here:

http://www.velobowling.com/KMT_DODO_pro ... views.html

Complete with Morich ball in picture.
John Velo
www.velobowling.com
FB: House Shot

Current Morich Kit
Frenzy
Crase
LevRG Response ( Bench mark drilling)
DestroyR
HookR
Agressive Motion
resinfool

Post by resinfool »

any update on this?
home ball driller looking for a reasonable way to check static weights..
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13

Post by JohnP »

home ball driller looking for a reasonable way to check static weights..
Take it to a local driller and ask if he'll weigh it for a nominal fee. Be ready to be turned down, you may be seen as a competitor. I would do it, but charge $10 per weighing. That's still cheaper than buying a scale unless you're planning to drill a LOT of balls. -- JohnP