Tateman
THS Average: 202
Heavy Oil Ball: Super Carbide Bomb
Medium Oil Ball: Blackfire timebomb/Chainsaw Massacre
Light Oil Ball: Chainsaw Massacre
Preferred Company: Lane#1

Teaching my wife to throw a normal hook instead of backup

Post by Tateman »

I am no coach. Her request to have me help her has at least made me consider taking the level 1 stuff though at least.

Well, my wife has been bowling with me off and on for a few seasons. She throws a backup ball. I think her high game is 203 or something, and she has only hit the 200s the one time. She is pretty inconsistent with the backup ball. I have helped her some with targeting etc when she asks.

So recently she asked for my help to get her better. We discussed throwing a normal hook before, but now I think she is actually ready to give it a try.

So I guess I want to figure out the best way to help her out. I don't really know any coaches here. One we had at our old house just focused on trying to make her bowl better with backup instead of throwing normal hook style.

I thought if we can at least get to practice it in the summer, she might be ready for winter if she bowls this year.
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Teaching my wife to throw a normal hook instead of backu

Post by guruU2 »

While she is holding the ball like she would hold a bird in her hand- on the down swing when she feels the ball approaching her ankle have her touch the palm with her thumb. The ball should be exiting her thumb by this point and if she gently touches the palm with her thumb (no grab, no squeeze- just a firm but gentle move) her hand should rotate around the ball. She does NOT have to help the turn by turning her hand. The quicker she can do this the greater the hook. This is A very good method for beginners and/or lower average bowlers.
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

If brevity is the soul of wit, alas I am witless. :oops: :oops: :oops:
This is offered as ancillary information for consideration.
It's not meant to be a diagnosis as sight unseen that would be like darts in the dark (ouch!)

Remember the Baby Bird Gary mentioned -
This link details one way to assess the grip.
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... on_Johnson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She is pretty inconsistent with the backup ball.

It's essential to find out the cause(s) of the inconsistency in your wife's game.
Once you do, you'll have to convince your wife so if you can video record her, you'll have proof positive. All of us have perceptual blind spots in our games. Read the attached excerpt from "The Inner Game of Tennis" for an amusing anecdote that drives the reality home. ;)

Regardless of the intended release (straight, hook, backup) impress this key advice so often asserted by Jim Merrell JMerrell in his pro bono analysis in the Certified Coached forum (check out his work!)
I would like to see the hand go through the ball and trace the ball's path down the intended target line.
If necessary, a bridge or gradual change from the old to the new can be used. You be the judge.
Consider this from Gregg.
Greg's Bowling Chat ID is FitDocSr

Put a piece of white tape on your PAP. When you can at least make it face the left gutter (straight ball) you are behind it at release. Dont try to hook it (or dont try to turn your hand). Once you have that under control, then you can start adding turn with the hand.
I teach that you cant hook it properly until you can roll it straight properly. Also helps on spares.
USBC Silver Certified Coach
Brunswick Pro Staff
*The opinions expressed are solely those of the writer and not of Brunswick Bowling & Billiards Corporation

PAP? Not to be confused with Pappy since this is Father's day - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She can actually practice the release at home. New habits take time, often more time than folks realize.
According to studies done at the United States Olympic Training Center, it takes more than 1500 repetitions before a new habit becomes second nature.
The home practice is easier with a partner who serves as catcher and ball return, but it can be done into a pillow. This type of release drill is done from a kneel down position.
Look at Lesson #4 at http://www.nextlevelbowling.com/index.p ... Itemid=177" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for body posturing and ideas. Coach Dick Ritger has a version that he uses in his camps where the bowler and the catcher do the drill entirely on the approach, you can use that at the home.

As things progress, a 1 step drill can be used, here is an example
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; from Richard Shockley. Also note there are many more useful drills.

You may at some point want to consider the 5 to 5 drill in the attachment

Added this 6/18/2012
You might want to take a look at this site originally recommended by Jim Merrell JMerrell
http://www.bowlingmentor.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Questions, concerns, complaints???
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
gyoza

Post by gyoza »

How is it going? I successfully helped my wife convert from a long-time backup ball to a full-roller, then to a 3/4 roller. (Recently she seems to somewhat overturn the ball sometimes.)

The first key is that she has to want to work with you. Check.

The second key, in our case, was physically guiding the hand through the desired motion. Doing that with some resistance might make it more effective.

Sometimes a backup ball is more likely due to the shape of the arm. If she faces her forearm and palm forward and the arm angles away from the body from the elbow, that's what I'm talking about.

A wrist support like a Mongoose might be helpful as a training aid.

You could also try using focus on the thumb position through the release.
steve s
Preferred Company: none

Post by steve s »

There are several methods that have helped others...first being the foot ball lateral ...One other is a soft ball roll ...place a piece of black tape around the ball and teach her to roll it with the tape at 12 and 6 ..This is just a start in getting her to overcome the turning of the wrist in a clockwise direction ....The thumb down drill or touch the palm as mentioned is good if she can get in reps with a ball...All these can be done at home where focus can be put on the hand...Steve S PS: stiff fingers at the release point create the motion needed to create hook...
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

This video posted by 44Boyd, may be a good training device.
It seems to assist in governing sublimation or pronation of the forearm depending on how it's worn.

The forum and topic might be misleading

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14498" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

Why did you bring this 7 year old post back up?

You've posted this video on . . . what five different threads?
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Reason -

Since some folks might search for backup in titles. Thought it might be helpful.
The Topic title in the thread of origin is Axis Rotation and it in an equipment orientated forum.
I believe I posted it in 3 threads.

Just trying to be helpful.

John