Board index » Mo & Friends » General Discussion

Forum rules

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Safe PIN to PAP distances
 Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:20 pm Post Number: #1 Post

Reputation Power: 1
What are the "general" safe PIN to PAP distances for low, medium and high trackers?
I have a customer that has a 5 1/4 by 1/4 up PAP and has a ball with a PIN to PAP of 2 1/4" and is hitting the thumb hole. ( i didnt drill it, just trying to help him )
Thanks,
Tim

Post subject: Re: Safe PIN to PAP distances
 Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:51 pm Post Number: #2 Post
Trusted Source

Tim,

I use pin to pap distances of 3/4" on the short side to 6 1/4" on the long side no matta what the pap is (as long as it is accurate). I also try to keep pins in the "flare safe zone" by controlling the pin to val angle based on track distance to the fingers... low tracks as low as 70*, medium tracks 60* & high tracks 50* (all tracks 20* to val on the low side).

I find that if the release track hits the thumb hole, it is usually a grip or release issue, not layout. If a subsequent tracks hits the thumb hole, you must make sure the pap is flare safe & not past the val.

If its flare safe and the pap is accurate and it still hits holes on subsequent tracks I send it back defective.

Radical Bowling Pro Shop Advisory Staff
Ibpsia Certified Tech, USBC Bronze Coach

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:34 pm Post Number: #3 Post
Mo Pinel

Reputation Power: 7
king of the mill wrote:
Tim,

I use pin to pap distances of 3/4" on the short side to 6 1/4" on the long side no matta what the pap is (as long as it is accurate). I also try to keep pins in the "flare safe zone" by controlling the pin to val angle based on track distance to the fingers... low tracks as low as 70*, medium tracks 60* & high tracks 50* (all tracks 20* to val on the low side).

I find that if the release track hits the thumb hole, it is usually a grip or release issue, not layout. If a subsequent tracks hits the thumb hole, you must make sure the pap is flare safe & not past the val.

If its flare safe and the pap is accurate and it still hits holes on subsequent tracks I send it back defective.

Thanks Ron. Well done. On higher track (lower tilt) players, I try not to use pin to PAP distances in excess of 4 3/4" because it can pull the track up on the holes. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens often enough for me to avoid it.

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:29 pm Post Number: #4 Post
Trusted Source

Mo Pinel wrote:
Thanks Ron. Well done. On higher track (lower tilt) players, I try not to use pin to PAP distances in excess of 4 3/4" because it can pull the track up on the holes. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens often enough for me to avoid it.[/color]

Thanks for your input, Mo! I have yet to run into that situation... I will add it to the mental "tool-kit".

To clarify, do you use that same number on "symmetrical" cores as well?

Radical Bowling Pro Shop Advisory Staff
Ibpsia Certified Tech, USBC Bronze Coach

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:40 am Post Number: #5 Post
Mo Pinel

Reputation Power: 7
king of the mill wrote:
Mo Pinel wrote:
Thanks Ron. Well done. On higher track (lower tilt) players, I try not to use pin to PAP distances in excess of 4 3/4" because it can pull the track up on the holes. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens often enough for me to avoid it.[/color]

Thanks for your input, Mo! I have yet to run into that situation... I will add it to the mental "tool-kit".

To clarify, do you use that same number on "symmetrical" cores as well?

Yes, sir!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Mo & Friends » General Discussion