Hanging up in finger holes

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

AZGreg1956

Hanging up in finger holes

Post by AZGreg1956 »

Hey there… new to this group.
Trying to get back into the game after many years. I’m 66 with knee and back issues. I just had my first reactive ball drill (Storm Tropical Surge/Black Cherry) and my first fingertip ball. Have always used conventional. It’s 12# as I have issues with my right hand as well.
Anyway, seems to fit nice, but when I release it, I keep hanging up in the finger inserts, loft the ball, popping sound when I release and can’t come out of it nice and easy. I keep topping the ball and can’t keep it right of the headpin on a typical house shot.
Maybe drilled wrong?
Any thoughts and/or suggestions?
Thanks,
Greg
walterp
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over, 5/8 up
Speed: 16 Foul line.
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Rotogrip X1 RST
Medium Oil Ball: Nuclear Cell
Light Oil Ball: Fast Pitch polished with slip agent
Preferred Company: Storm/Rotogrip/Global 900

Re: Hanging up in finger holes

Post by walterp »

AZGreg1956 wrote: September 16th, 2022, 9:11 pm Hey there… new to this group.
Trying to get back into the game after many years. I’m 66 with knee and back issues. I just had my first reactive ball drill (Storm Tropical Surge/Black Cherry) and my first fingertip ball. Have always used conventional. It’s 12# as I have issues with my right hand as well.
Anyway, seems to fit nice, but when I release it, I keep hanging up in the finger inserts, loft the ball, popping sound when I release and can’t come out of it nice and easy. I keep topping the ball and can’t keep it right of the headpin on a typical house shot.
Maybe drilled wrong?
Any thoughts and/or suggestions?
Thanks,
Greg
Back off your grip pressure, if 10 is your max grip pressure, use a 2 or 3 to grip your ball, and let the ball roll off your fingers rather than trying to lift up through the ball. It may be a fit issue, but without seeing your hand in the ball, it is very hard to ascertain what is happening wen you try and release the ball.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BowlU 1 star certified coach
Ritger Level 3 coach
IBPSIA certified Technician
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Hanging up in finger holes

Post by kajmk »

Welcome AZ.
First thought would be go back to pro-shop and discuss, do some test rolls.

Next, Finger tip grip is new to you, that in itself takes getting used to: Fear factor, Gripping surface emphasizes feel on finger pads, pitches are different, if using finger inserts if they are lifters thats another new feel.

Try this at home - this is like Dick Ritgers Kneel Down skill drill (can be down at the center too)
Evaluate results.

If ok, graduate to a drill like this

Suggest reading ...
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John