Arthritis

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BruceI

Arthritis

Post by BruceI »

Hello folks … I’ve developed arthritis in my bowling hand and the ring finger (next to the small finger) is getting sore . I’m just wondering if there is a special way to tape it ? I’m 67 and I get to bowl in league with my Grandson this year … I hate drugs but if I have to I will … any help will be much appreciated .
star
Positive Axis Point: 5 over 3/4 up
Speed: 17 to 18 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 45
Preferred Company: Storm

Re: Arthritis

Post by star »

Don’t know if it’s the reason but Tommy Jones does a figure 8 with some of the kinesiology tape that he uses. That seems the only reason you’d tape the ring finger that way to reduce the pressure on it.

Another thing to think about is going to a Sarge Easter grip with a dropped ring finger. That would help reduce the pressure on your ring finger.

A final try is “steel fingers” although I don’t know if that’s still available. I made my own brace when I badly bruised the bone in my ring finger many years ago and it was similar to theirs and it let me play for weeks with greatly reduced pain.

That Tommy Jones method seems the simplest method. If you look at his finger in the latest PBA league you’ll notice he seems to cut a strip about half an inch wide and makes a figure 8 with the crossover on the inner bend of his finger. Keeping the finger slightly bent.

Someone who does it themselves will probable be able to explain it better. Good luck as bowling with your grandson must be something very special to look forward to.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

Get your pitches checked, might need to shorten span
Stacy
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

BruceI wrote: July 10th, 2022, 3:50 pm Hello folks … I’ve developed arthritis in my bowling hand and the ring finger (next to the small finger) is getting sore . I’m just wondering if there is a special way to tape it ? I’m 67 and I get to bowl in league with my Grandson this year … I hate drugs but if I have to I will … any help will be much appreciated .
It depends on what you are willing to do personally. The best thing would be to take as much pressure off the finger as possible. That could mean going to a conventional grip, a lighter ball, or both.

First, as already suggested, try tape. Keep in mind, you might have to get a larger insert installed. Also, if you're not allergic or have other medical issues, use a pain reliever.

Whatever it takes, enjoy bowling with your grandson!
weberd72
Sport Average: 190
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8 over by 3/8 up
Speed: 19 (Specto)
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 25
Axis Rotation: 70
Heavy Oil Ball: Trail Blazer Solid, Intimidator Pearl, Hero Solid
Medium Oil Ball: Obsession Tour, Conspiracy Theory, GB4 Pearl
Light Oil Ball: Raw Hammer Black
Preferred Company: Free Agent

Post by weberd72 »

I have issues with my ring finger as well due to injury. After failing at pitch and span changes, I went Sarge Easter. I had to experiment with one ball and redrill the ring finger a few times until I figured it out. This website helped me a lot in the journey: http://www.brunsnick.com/portfolio-item ... ioID=11080

I hope you are able to figure out what works best for you to get back to pain free bowling!