1, 2, or 3 sided asymmetry?

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

FredSoDak
THS Average: 185
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 4.5" x 1.5" up
Speed: 16.5 pindeck
Rev Rate: 225
Axis Tilt: 9
Axis Rotation: 50
Heavy Oil Ball: DV8 Intimidator Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: DV8 Creed

1, 2, or 3 sided asymmetry?

Post by FredSoDak »

When looking at asymmetric cores; are there any inherent characteristcs to cores with different asymmetric designs, based on how many sides the asymmetry is based on (I am ignoring the top/bottom, for the moment)?

As examples:
1 sided -- Track Kinetic/Shuttle
2 sided -- Ebonite Game Breaker Asym
3 sided -- Roto Grip UFO Alert

The Kinetic has 1 side "shaved off", the GB Asym has 2 sides equally "shaved off", and the UFO Alert has 1 side "shaved off" & the opposing side with "cavities".

And if we can assume all 3 core types have the same specs, such as a .015 intermediate differential; would a thumb hole move the PSA more/less depending on how many sides created the original asymmetry?

Would you see a different break point shape, depending on sides? Would the 1-sided core have the largest change in dynamics? Would a 3-sided core retain the closest to the undrilled dynamics? Or is there nothing that would inherently change?

Simply curious.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: 1, 2, or 3 sided asymmetry?

Post by EricHartwell »

Interesting observations.
How about the Hammer Taboo Gas Mask core. It has sides shaved off and protrusions. By your descriptions above I see 4 "sides" of Asymmetry to it.

Sorry I'm not able to answer your questions specifically.
The Dual angle system works with the the identified markings of the 2 major axes, Low Rg axis and High Rg axis.

I think your curiosity comes from the days of balance holes that could further change the core shape.

Knowing what core shape you are working with and where gripping holes may contact the core, changing its shape can help in determining the ball roll characteristics post drill.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand