New to forum - Question about new ball I bought

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

ZRated

New to forum - Question about new ball I bought

Post by ZRated »

Recently bought a new 15# TZone to replace my old spare ball. I am a 2-Hander and had it drilled for 2 fingers. I have had this ball 10 days and have used it in exactly 21 games during practice. I was cleaning it today and noticed stress cracks around one of the finger holes and now, even a small chip. What can be done here to prevent this from getting worse? My old ball lasted 6 months and with insets pulled out but the chip in same area expanded to a massive finger killer. Pictures below of my TZone(yellow inserts) and my old spare ball (what I don't want to happen again.)
IMG_20220220_162158.jpg
IMG_20220220_162311.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: New to forum - Question about new ball I bought

Post by EricHartwell »

Welcome to BowlingChat

Does your spare ball release have the ball rolling over the finger holes?

I have had the same problem in the past.
My straight spare ball release had the ball thumping over the finger holes creating the same type of damage you are experiencing.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
ZRated

Post by ZRated »

Hmmm, I generally put a little rotation on the ball for all my spares but the 7 pin or 4-7 (I am a lefty) in which I roll those straight across lane. I know it is a good roll because I hear the fingers thumping down lane. I honestly don't get many of those but it does happen. I can't believe in the 10 days or so of having the ball it would already be taking on that kind of damage but I guess it is the only explanation?
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

The cracking could be the end result of a number of things: (1) The ball is impacting the lane at the release point, (2) It is violently rotating / revving over the fingers hole as it's going down the lane, (3) The finger holes are in just the right position at impact when the call comes in contact with the pins, (4) On a missed spare, the holes come in contact with some part of the kick back plate or even a metal support bracket on the pin setter, (5) Coming in contact with a screw in the flat gutters.

There are others, those would be the most common...
ZRated

Post by ZRated »

Thanks, so is there a way to stop the chip or crack from "spreading"? The other ball in the picture got that way after 1 little chip appeared...and within 20 games or so and a LOTof little pieces left on my finger...it got that way fast. I kind of feel once it starts..you can't stop it...and it sucks because the ball is brand new.
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

That would be correct, once a hole starts to develop a spider crack, they tend to spread. Get it repaired before it gets too bad. Also, discuss it with the pro shop operator. Maybe they'll recommend more bevel or even go so far as to suggest no inserts.

*There are several customers that do not use inserts in our shop. To this day, none has experienced cracking around the fingers.
ZRated

Post by ZRated »

Thanks for the info... I originally didn't use inserts until recently as well. I used to bowl with fingers all the way into the ball..up to about the thickest part of the finger.. I needed a larger hole and a more "slippery" surface for my fingers to get out of...the problem was, it caused a lot of joint issues on the fingers and I also box..so I went to inserts after using a friend's ball and found it was far less stressful on the fingers and now go in to just between finger tip and second knuckle. I don't believe I ever had an issue with cracking until I got inserts and only seems to be the plastic.
star
Positive Axis Point: 5 over 3/4 up
Speed: 17 to 18 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 45
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by star »

What I have done is go with a Storm Mix for spares as I roll my spare shot over the thumb and experienced cracking on 3 polyester balls.

The Mix being urethane has had no issues. You can always find an old urethane from the 80’s on eBay and try that. If you have fairly normal pitches in your fingers then it may only need the thumb plugging and new grips. Worth thinking about.