Foul line Back View
[youtube][/youtube]
Foul Line Side View
[youtube][/youtube]
1 step back View
[youtube][/youtube]
1 step side view

Full Videos of Practice:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Foul Line Drills 1st part is from behind 2nd part is from the side
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; back view 1 step Drills 1.5 games
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Side view 1 step Drills 1 Game

Actually think I got some progress today. The last time I did this on the last few balls, I tried to get as low as I could go while I did the left step. Before when I was doing this, I was thinking go ahead and step out and then bend down after stepping out. So today I thought about bending down on the left knee while I was stepping forward on it trying to stay low. It was the first time I ever felt I had good balance and I wasn't falling over on one side or another.

I think the foul line drill is perfect I can't see anything wrong. The timing on 1 step drill has to be there because I went frame by frame and my left foot stopped when the ball was between my legs about 2 feet from the front leg. Going tomorrow to try to get more forward spine tilt and lower to get the ball closer to my left foot hopefully. I still don't know why my hand position is like that at the bottom. I might focus on that also.

I didn't put up the last 3 weeks of practice that would be a waste of space I would think.

[youtube][/youtube]
How about that drill to try to keep fingers to stop coming off the right side of the ball instead of under or to the left where they are suppose to be?
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: Return to doing drills

Post by 44boyd »

You already have a thread dedicated to you, I’d move these there for continuity.
Stacy
2y2
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8 and 3/8 over
Speed: 17 mph
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 10º
Axis Rotation: 45º
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm CodeX
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Python
Light Oil Ball: Pitch Blue
Preferred Company: None

Post by 2y2 »

Krava, to me, with this thread you're stating that you no longer want/need Jim's advice or you want to get everybody's attention. Why would someone make a new thread on your efforts to become better when you've already gotten all the help you need from one of the best coaches in the freaking world. I'm sorry I simply don't get it. Jim is an amazingly kind person, if I was him I would have ignored you and all your posts a long time ago, you're so disrespectful with him and all the hard work he's done with you and your childish attitude.
If you think I helped, please click on the "+" button, Thanks.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

I've been a hard case in my day.
My Coachs always booked a lane next to a wall.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

When you have a headache, you use one medicine at a time, not several, the former might cure, the latter might kill.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

I do want Jim's help. I think he closed my thread down below. The last time I looked at it, it was closed. I had to open a new thread. The last thing I said was I have to take time off indefinitely. I don't want to "hog" all his time though. There are other people out there and I don't want to make it like it is all about me. I opened this up so if he has time and can respond then he can. Right now I believe he is doing the Camp thing which he said was in June. I didn't ask for other people to respond. But how can I post anything or even ask for help when my thread was closed? If it isn't closed then I will cancel all this and post it there but I am almost 100% certain it was.

I just looked at it, if you go to page 3 it says LOCKED at the bottom. I don't think I can post there right? I don't want people to think I just gave up. I am ready to get this fixed and ready for more work whatever I have to do. If I had the money I would go and see him at his camp thing he is doing. Last year I lost my house and am almost running out of money. That is why I haven't been to the gym. I have to work longer hours and try to make money. I am not used to a house payment. I never said anything disrespectful at all. I just don't want to be greedy and not all others to get help they need also.

I just sent a PM to jim because of the comments. If I wanted attention I would have posted it to the general forum and not where he told me to post. This was intended for Jim to find when he had time and was feeling generous to help.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

krava, your financial situation and health should take precedence over bowling and gym.
One does not have to go to a gym to workout.
Also, as mentioned, regarding bowling, a lot of what you need to work on can be emulated at home.

Folks are not being malicious.

The fact is that no one on this forum is in Jim's class as an instructor.

We all improve at our own rate according to our abilities.

Read the poem I refer to in my signature, Desiderata, there is a lot of wisdom there.

John
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

I want to see where this goes without Jim's assistance.
He hasnt logged in since his resignation date.
Other coaches can respond.
If you dont want to see Krava's posts, you can click the ignore link in his profile.
2y2
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by 2y2 »

2y2 wrote:Krava, to me, with this thread you're stating that you no longer want/need Jim's advice or you want to get everybody's attention. Why would someone make a new thread on your efforts to become better when you've already gotten all the help you need from one of the best coaches in the freaking world. I'm sorry I simply don't get it. Jim is an amazingly kind person, if I was him I would have ignored you and all your posts a long time ago, you're so disrespectful with him and all the hard work he's done with you and your childish attitude.
Krava, please accept my apologies, I prejudged your intentions and assumed things I shouldn't have. I missed the fact that your "Path to success" post was closed. My bad. I acknowledge I wrote mean things in my last post, I'm sorry.
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

2y2 I was pretty upset with that but I will accept the appolgy and give you a point for that. I was trying to get jim to "sneak" me a little help on the side by trying to play it cool and wait however long while he helped everyone else. I know how it is to try to help someone and then they go elsewhere and think I don't know what I am talking about. I own a computer repair shop and sometimes run into that. Also that post was to show that I do have some improvement I think going on.

I got stung by some type of flying insect today, bumblebee, wasp hornet or whatever on my right index finger and I couldn't get the stinger out for an hour. It felt like my finger was going to explode from the inside out. I didn't go practice today.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

krava, sorry about the sting.
It might be an opportunity albeit painful, to practice without a bowling ball.
One thing we do not see in some of the portrayals of the foul line drill are side views.
A recurrent theme I see in your videos is excessive bending from the waist.
Legs are so important. We need to be able to get into good position and hold the finish.

Doug Kent
Photos and short article on wiki
Enviable body lines and angles
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... Upper_Body" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You see good posture in the photos from Ron's article you referenced.
Form matters !

Remember, you do not need a gym or special equipment.
Jeff Cavilere (Athleanx) and others have some videos specifically for those without gym access. Bodyweight exercises, resistance.

It's not just strength, it's mobility and flexibility, do what you can to improve yours.
Just try to be the best version of YOU, not as good as or better than that other guy we envy.

The first two videos are of exercises to strengthen key muscles and reinforce posture.
The video with the dowel is a great example, you can use a broom handle or whatever is available.

Note both videos illustrate the backstep version of a lunge. Watch and listen to the reasons for this version.

Here is a variation of the Lunge exercise. Mirrors are very enlightening and helpful.
Note well, the use of the dowel!
The Lunge is a very important exercise.
Can you get in to and hold a good finishing position (3 seconds might be a good time).

[youtube][/youtube]

Note that most if not all of Jeff's videos have descriptive text. I suggest you read and print the text.

[youtube][/youtube]

Here is a finish or foul line drill with spoken instruction and views from rear and side.

[youtube][/youtube]

When you exercise, take note of what gets sore, what if any balance issues there are.
Shoes aid balance. If balance is EASY try the same without shoes, if that's easy try it standing on a pillow.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Try to get in better conditioning so that you may achieve better positioning.

[youtube][/youtube]

I would refer you back to Jim's 1:1 Diagnostics prepared for you.
Imo, his krava series is a good model for coaches to consider.
Review, and work on these, optimizing each aspect before moving on.
In too many cases, you are trying to build the airplane in the air.
1) His cause and effect explanations
2) His illustrated and annotated graphics
3) His plans

John
2y2
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by 2y2 »

Hello krava,

In your foul line drill, your movement does not look continuous, it looks like first you set the ball on the lane and then you push it. It should be one single movement from behind and It should be obvious when your thumb leaves the ball, long before the fingers do, It looks like both the thumb and the fingers leave the ball practically at the same time. Foul line drill is in part a release drill so focus on the way your thumb releases the ball and how that feels in your fingers. Your followthrough should be longer and try to keep your elbow straight.

In the one step drill I see too much muscle, look at the first image, when the ball starts moving forward your elbow bends because you're not letting your arm move with the ball, remember, the ball moves the arm not the other way around.
KravaBentElbow.png
When the ball goes back you pull it (very hard), there's no need to pull or push the ball in this drill (The only force you have to do is when you start moving the ball forward).

Look at your videos and notice the moment you step, then look that the ball is still going up when that happens. You have to wait until the ball has stopped and is about to fall to start your step, that's the precise moment you can accelerate the ball with all your body mass when you do it earlier you're in fact decelerating the ball.

You have to drop your shoulder a bit more and feed the ball into the lane extending your elbow, your release movement should be as long and as horizontal as possible.
KravaShoulder.jpg
Your movements look a bit stiff, try to make them more relaxed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

Thanks for the help there 2y2. It won't let me give you a point for the help will do that next time I get on. Gave a point to the guy that recommended putting tape in the bottom of the hole where the thumb nail is to push it out a bit. That sounds like a good idea. I am blistering the inside part of the thumb on the side where the knucle is somehow but it is rubbing there bad without even throwing the ball.
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

Finally made some progress. I went to do drills on the 28th. When doing so I felt my shoulder snag the ball a little. 1 time I must have did it correctly because it felt so free (it is in the video somewhere. I said that felt …. etc). So on the 29th I went back again. I was thinking that maybe I am moving a bit early and my shoulder snags on the ball and forces it to come down to fast. If I wait another split second and then move it shouldn't snag. Out of all the times I have done this, I have had my shoulder snag the ball every time except for once except tonight. Tonight 100% never snagged the ball. When my shoulder didn't snag the ball, I was much faster with my feet then the ball. I also forgot to lean forward when the ball is going up in the backswing so I focused on that at the same time.

problems: Left foot didn't go over the right foot and just went straight up the boards. I didn't catch that until I saw the video.

Serious problems: hand is turning or something in the backswing causing me to come off the side of the ball instead of through it. I am going to work on this tomorrow if I go or the next time.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; This is the correct way to do it, at 4:10 you can see Brad's fingers on the inside of the ball at the point where the ball is at his knee going into the backswing. Then when he comes back down he grips the ball or something and keeps it there. My fingers are in the wrong place somehow right there and stay out of the right place the whole time. I think I can fix that though.

Here is video from the 28th
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

Here is video from the 29th Forced swing is fixed (still have issues but fixed the shoulder pulling swing down)
[youtube][/youtube]

I still have work to do, next step on 1 step drill is getting left foot back over right foot and also work on getting more inside the ball and not off the right side of the ball
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

9/1 practiced the drills today. The lanes were packed and I could only get the 1 lane next to league bowlers. I had to sort of rush each shot because they were bowling fast. Because of rushing, I only got to focus on Letting the ball have free movement and not forcing it. I looked at a little of the video and doesn't look like I was getting wrist bend under the ball and it was sort of broken. In regular shots, I take my cocked wrist and drop the shoulder and keep everything in postion when I throw. When I have to start this drill, I can't really get into a cocked postion from starting at the bottom and then lifting up. also the higher the swing, the more hard it is, to get under the ball. I don't think this shows any improvement at all. Next time will have to do these when I am not rushed on one side of me.

2 games 1 step drill:
[youtube][/youtube]

in my opinion, the fault with the 1 step drill is not leaning forward when the ball is going into the backswing and also not pulling the ball closer in and tucking it a bit.

1 game 3 step drill (which needs ton of work)
[youtube][/youtube]

I got pretty upset with the 3 step drill, it shouldn't be that hard to do. I was trying to throw a straight ball diagonally 5th arrow to 10 pin. I hit 4th arrow instead a lot. I am still missing to the right a bit on shots where I am opened up a bit. Balance completely threw me off a lot on this one. Maybe forcing the ball a bit as I am used to throwing at the 10 pin hard for some reason anyway.

I didn't post this last night because was completely disgusted. I went one lane over (which I thought was oiled for the league bowlers) and was going to show how I can keep my hand under the ball. The lanes were messed up as if plastic balls were thrown down it all day with no backends. I played around trying to get some kind of shot and ended up throwing 90 something. I know scores don't matter but just throwing drills, I shot 227 and 204 or so on those 2 drills and then end up with 90? I had the absolute best ball reaction I ever seen the past 2 days when I get under it and then today threw it and was like "what the heck is that suppose to be". 9/2 it was $8 all you can bowl today. I got to the bowling alley at 9pm. Bowled on just horrible conditions (mostly plastic thrown pushing the oil down). I didn't get any oil my ball, no rings. I did manage a 204 with a double and nothing less then 9 count with an error free game for the last game at 10:30 at night. Didn't have to write this last paragraph but that is why it wasn't posted last night. I came home crawled in the bed and was just plain disgusted. I did manage something good today. I figured how to get the 3 pin from the left side today. I am like 0-10 with anything with the 3 6 10 involved in it (from the left side). I moved 1 more board to the right, kept same mark and now 2 for 2. 10 pin I am still like 24/25 last attempts but that 3 pin has been a pain. Very easy to get from the right side. But it needs to be shot from the left side especially if it is a 3-10.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

Too much muscle, try again.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Thoughts.

The Spigner article might help
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5556&hilit=Digest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your hand should ride not drive the ball until near the bottom of the swing, see Spigner's article.

Of possible interest ...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10843&p=83931&hilit=Contigo#p83931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have a thought about a jury rigged training device/gambit that just occurred, but have to think it through. Would involve and assistant

John
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

absolutely right. too much muscle. Did that today also in league. 21MPH isn't suppose to show up on the monitor. 15.5-16.5 is about right.