Looking for Coach in Brandon Florida

Questions about coaching?

Moderator: Moderators

44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Looking for Coach in Brandon Florida

Post by 44boyd »

Hello,
I just moved to Valrico, Florida this past fall and I'm looking for a coach in the area. I'm stationed at MacDill AFB so that could be a possibility too if you're out that way. I'm 41 and been bowling for fun for a couple years and would like to learn more so I can start bowling in leagues and tournaments. Thanks for your help
Stacy
pjape

Re: Looking for Coach in Brandon Florida

Post by pjape »

44boyd wrote:Hello,
I just moved to Valrico, Florida this past fall and I'm looking for a coach in the area. I'm stationed at MacDill AFB so that could be a possibility too if you're out that way. I'm 41 and been bowling for fun for a couple years and would like to learn more so I can start bowling in leagues and tournaments. Thanks for your help
I just checked on Google Maps, and you're only a little over an hour away from Lake Wales, which is the location of the Kegel Training Center. Yea, it's expensive, but you'll receive some of the best coaching in the world there. I'd love to live so close! You wouldn't have to worry about plane tickets, a rental car or a hotel room.
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

pjape wrote:
I just checked on Google Maps, and you're only a little over an hour away from Lake Wales, which is the location of the Kegel Training Center. Yea, it's expensive, but you'll receive some of the best coaching in the world there. I'd love to live so close! You wouldn't have to worry about plane tickets, a rental car or a hotel room.
yeah i looked into that and I'm considering it, maybe if the forum does a group trip i could go. Was just seeing if someone was local that I could afford instead of having to wait a while before I could go there. Thank you
Stacy
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

If anyone is interested, I found bronze level certified coach Bob Weinberg. Had one lesson so far and he's hit on the importance of slowing down my feet and learning to change surfaces to match me up better. Anyone in the East Tampa/Brandon area can reach him at 813-716-3641.
Stacy
Stacy
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Great news that you found a coach! Remember to practice the drills he gave you so that next time you see him you can work on another thing and keep improving. Did he take video and show it to you (side and rear view)? Video is great because you can see yourself in slow motion and understand what you are doing.

If you have the chance visit Kegel, it will be the best money you spend in bowling. After your first visit you get a discount. If I lived in Florida I would be there for a lesson every 3 months and practice whenever I had the chance. 4hrs of practice for $55, that's $12.50 an hour plus you can always ask a question or two. Once you go there for the first time you will understand.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

He used the coaches eye and filmed me from behind, I'll have him tape the side next time. He's not trying to make me fit a mold but tweak what I have, which I like so far. He taught me a simple but effective spare system to use which my percentage has gone up instantly. I'm looking to get my layouts known and find my specs so I can ask y'all what drillings I should go to and/or new balls to get to help me develop a small sport arsenal. I'm hoping to get picked up for summer league and start the Tampa area Elite Bowlers Tour. Just looking to improve
Stacy
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

If you know of a coach you'd recommend, please add that coach to the forum Map via the "Map" button above.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

44boyd wrote:If anyone is interested, I found bronze level certified coach Bob Weinberg. Had one lesson so far and he's hit on the importance of slowing down my feet and learning to change surfaces to match me up better. Anyone in the East Tampa/Brandon area can reach him at 813-716-3641.
Stacy
Just to note Bob Weinberg is "tampabaybob" on here, though he hasn't posted in a long time.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
Tampabaybob
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 217
Speed: 16.5/pindeck
Rev Rate: 300
Heavy Oil Ball: Brunswick Alpha Max
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Evil Seige
Light Oil Ball: Brunswick BVP Punisher & Dry R
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by Tampabaybob »

Hello everyone. Yes, as Bowl1820 mentioned, it has been a long time since I posted. Health issues with myself and family members has taken a lot of my time. Still bowling, but have retired from the Junior leagues of coaching and strictly doing private coaching.

I've been working on a website with a friend for almost a year, and we just went live with it the other day, however now we're working on some tweaks, and articles to it. Check it out at:
Brandonbowlingcoach.com . I'll be adding it to the map shortly.

I did work with Stacy (Hi Stacy !) and it was extremely easy because he was already a very good bowler.
It definately simplies our work when you get someone that has carried a higher average.

I plan to have more time and get back to posting on this site. I miss the interactions with bowlers from all over the world.
Bob
USBC Certified Bronze Level Coach
300 games - 8 (sanctioned)
800 series - 4 (high 856)
Hall of Fame - 1996 - SE CT Bowling Assoc
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Looking forward to your posts Bob, it's always great to have experienced coaches giving good advice so we all can learn from the exchange.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent