VLe's experimental pro shop -collection

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 55
Preferred Company: Radical

VLe's experimental pro shop -collection

Post by VLe »

Since I have made a lot of different bowling-related studies, tools and other DIY-stuff, I thought that I could make a topic where I share some of these stuff with others. Instead of opening a new topic for every subject, I will post a reply here whenever I feel I have something to share with fellow bowlers.

Before anyone uses any of my stuff I must warn that these are mostly some experimental projects and take the information with a pinch of salt. There may be mistakes and even false information given so always rely on proven information and find yourself a professional PSO to help you with your bowling ball –related problems. If you find some error or problem, please inform me and I will do my best to make corrections to that.

Feel free to use these things in personal or professional matter and I do not mind if some of these are added to the wiki. If you find some of the stuff useful, best way to say thanks is the “+”-mark on bottom right corner of the message

First I share this finger pitch calculator –program. With this excel-sheet, it should be possible to at least:
  • convert normal finger-/thumb -pitches to true pitch and angle so you can use for example only one axis to drill a ball
  • convert a true pitch and drilled angle (direction of the pitch) to standard T-grip pitches (reverse calculations)
  • convert ADT-pitches to normal T-grip-pitches
  • convert 45degree thumb drilling and other “centerline transported”-holes to standard T-grip –pitches
  • convert pitch to a degree scale (no pitch=no angle, .500” pitch=6,71 degree angle etc…)
  • calculate the starting pitch and angle for oval drilling using only one axis
The calculator can also be used as a drilling card. Insert the pitches as thousandths of an inch. For example 1/8”=125, ½”=500, 1”=1000 etc... The excel is made for right hand bowlers so if you are left handed, use inverted lateral pitches. If you have questions about how to use the calculator, feel free to ask.

Edit: I have found that if you are using mobile device (ios/android) to download and use this excel-sheet, it may not make the calculations correctly. It works great in my windows laptop though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by VLe on December 15th, 2016, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Re: VLe's experimental pro shop -collection

Post by VLe »

Already posted this on other topic, but I will add the link here.

A generic 3D-model of a thumbslug that fits to Turbo Switch Grip outer sleeve and is optimized for 3D-printing. I use PETG-material for these and it works great. I have a ball that has a switchgrip outer sleeve driller to 0" pitch and with printed thumbslugs I can put thumbhole easily to a pitch in scale (for example) from .375" left/.375" forward to .375 back/.375 right. I have about ten different thumbslugs in my bowling bag at the moment that I can easily swap if I want to experiment with different thumb pitches. Cost is about 1$/each for me. 8-)

Link to file (you can use thingview to rotate the model in 3d):
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1947023
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by VLe »

Wow! A 3D-printed bowling ball milling machine/plug cutter from a cheap chinese dremel copy.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1967462
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by VLe »

Simple tool for span measuring etc. Print using original size and check that the boxes are in correct size. Optionally you can glue this to a cardboard etc. or laminate.

Re-edit: Uploaded new versions of the measuring tool. The previous version was to only take measurements from the ball but this can now be used also to take measurements from the hand etc. Cut along the ball-shaped solid line and use the side of the scale you need.
Last edited by VLe on January 2nd, 2017, 2:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by VLe »

This one is a bit stranger. It basically shows the hole pitch in the bowling ball. I have actually made this to be used as part of the different type of fitting process I have been working with but I might come back to that someday here. The coloured areas are for centering the thumb etc. and the lines that are drawn are in 1/8" increments. Use with caution. :)
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by VLe »

A 3D-pdf of a modelled bowling ball. Has a ADT-drilled holes in it. Not any other important meaning
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by VLe »

A 3d-printable bowling ball measuring tool. A different and smaller version of "prosect". Can measure both span and angles.

I will make also an extended version of this as soon as I have spare time. On which you can measure distances up to 13,5" just like in the normal prosect. Till then there is nothing wrong with this. Sometimes it is just needed to make the lines with two strokes.

Link:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1967713
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 3 1/2 right, 1 1/2 up
Speed: 15.5 downlane
Rev Rate: 450
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Marvel Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Inferno
Light Oil Ball: Storm Timeless
Preferred Company: 900 Global

Post by JJakobsen »

You know what I'd want? A pitch gauge for switch grip outer sleeves. So you can check the exact pitch in a SG hole. So annoying when you have a tiny thumb like myself, so you can't probably measure with the slug in, and the SG outer sleeve is way to big to measure properly too.
68.2353°N 14.5636°E is where it happens!
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by JJakobsen »

VLe wrote:Simple tool for span measuring etc. Print and check that the boxes are in correct size. Optionally you can glue this to a cardboard etc. or laminate.
Wouldn't this be better if the numbers were on the inside so you could cut along the half circle?
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by VLe »

jimmydanny wrote: Wouldn't this be better if the numbers were on the inside so you could cut along the half circle?
Aaa.. sorry about my misspelling. I meant that tool to take the span measurements from the ball! I will update that picture so that there is measuring scales in both sides of the cutting line so it can be used in both ways!

Thank you for the notification/idea. The picture's has been updated now.
Last edited by VLe on December 20th, 2016, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by VLe »

jimmydanny wrote:You know what I'd want? A pitch gauge for switch grip outer sleeves. So you can check the exact pitch in a SG hole. So annoying when you have a tiny thumb like myself, so you can't probably measure with the slug in, and the SG outer sleeve is way to big to measure properly too.
If you happen to have a tru-pitch gauge and you would be able to make a 3Dprint, you could use these that I just uploaded: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1968744

Another option is to use the tool that I've posted earlier to this forum (viewtopic.php?f=7&p=93353#p93353" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). BUT, I just noticed that the tool will not give correct values right now. The scale will give pitch values that are counted by 2 so if you happen to use it, just take half off from the measured pitches. I will update the pitch gauge not later than next week when I get back to the office where I have my CAD-programs to make these corrections. The corrections are made to the pitch gauge version 2.0. Now the measurements should be accurate!

You do know that the thumb hole may not be drilled with same pitches that are used to drill the switch grip to its place? Just wanted to make sure. :roll:

Edit: just realized that the measurements in the attached picture are in millimeters (1 millimeter =
0.0393700787 inches). A bit hard world to live in as an european when all the measurements used in bowling are inches. :P
Last edited by VLe on December 21st, 2016, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by JJakobsen »

For my own sake, I always drill the slug in 0 0 (well, my PSO does, I am just a peasant customer), because that means there will never be an issue getting a new slug made fast, and there will be no question in what the pitches are: 0 0.

So instead I have 1/4" fwd and 5/16" left in the outer sleeve. Much easier!

If I wanna experiment with more or less pitch, I can, but I will always aim to get 0 0 in the outer sleeve on a permanent layout for myself. Easier when dealing with more than one PSO, which occasionally happens as Norway is a long country with few PSOs, and travelling and getting a good deal on a ball is not to be declined! :P
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by JJakobsen »

I need to buy an okay 3D-printer asap I see! :D

What would you recommend for a broke head mech at a bowling center? :P I would say anything about a grand is out of question tbh.
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by VLe »

jimmydanny wrote:I need to buy an okay 3D-printer asap I see! :D

What would you recommend for a broke head mech at a bowling center? :P I would say anything about a grand is out of question tbh.
Well, if the mech has the ability to keep some tools in hand I would definitely look towards prusa-type of printers. You should be able to get a great printer for less than half of that amount. I have a steel-frame -version that I ordered from Italy. Just dont go with the cheapest acrylic frame china-versions and you will be fine. Or at least get a quality hot end (E.G. E3D V6) for yout first machine. I have experience about the China-copy hotends and some of them are really great but some causes many problems and you'd like to avoid these kind of problems when you are learning the process. :)
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by VLe »

A bowling ball zero pitch aligner for drill presses that uses drill chuck. The shank diameter is 10mm.

Tighten this carefully into drill chuck and put the bowling ball into drilling jig. Then align the table so that this zero pointer fits to the ball surface correctly from both (x&y) axles. You can also use the normal plug cutter tool to align the ball but I've found this to be easier and more precise.

Another manual method to be noted is that you can make a small centermark to the bowling ball and then draw 4 straight lines 6 3/4" away from the spot and 90 degrees to each other (+ pattern). Put another marks to the end of the lines and then align the ball in the jig so that there is equal distances from each of these end-of-the-line marks to the table. Then align the drilling bit to the centermark. this is a bit slow process though and should be done couple of times to make sure that the ball is centered correctly.

link:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1971036
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by VLe »

Updated version of bowling ball measuring tool can be found above.

Also added simple 3d-printable span measuring tool:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1983187" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by VLe »

A bowling ball pitch measuring tool. Print using original size and check that the boxes are in correct size. You will also need a pointer stick to use this scale.

This tool have also a separate topic because it is a bit older project so more accurate instructions to use the scale can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&p=93353#p93353

Notice that this is updated version. If you are already using the earlier version, take half off from the measured pitches or print a new one to get accurate readings.
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by VLe »

If you have any idea or suggestion for some different type of bowling-related tool in mind, I might have some time to help with the design.

Just send me a pm or reply to this topic.
Last edited by VLe on January 3rd, 2017, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by VLe »

Added a first test clip of my own version of determinator-type measuring tool. It was the only test vid I was able to found on my phone. I have since made the frame a bit stiffer, installed the variable frequency drive to it's place and added small control board to run the machine. Also calibrated the acceleration and speed settings.

Due to the respect for the original version, this forum and Mo, I will not share the technical details or spec's for this machine. Since the construction differs from the original, it may give a bit different spin times but I can easily use this to compare my own equipment to each other and to locate the PSA etc.

My apologies for the messy workshop. Too many ongoing projects at the same time. :lol:

[youtube][/youtube]
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by VLe »

Testing of an commercial ultrasonic cleaner with some bowling balls. The results have been amazing so far. I have had problems with the ridiculous not getting into roll early enough but after the treatment it is like a brand new ball and seems like 40% more agressive. A LOT of oil came out of these two balls.

Roto Grip Hyper Cell Skid:
[youtube][/youtube]

Radical Ridiculous:
[youtube][/youtube]

I have noticed that with some balls it will take off some of the paint that is for example in the routed logo at ball surface. Didnt happen with Radical balls. Maybe it was because the paint was already a little loose? Dont know but it doesn't matter anyhow.
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand