Suggested Coaches

Questions about coaching?

Moderator: Moderators

grant61
Preferred Company: Motiv

Suggested Coaches

Post by grant61 »

I am heading to the USA in the next couple of months and want to spend a couple of days with a coach. I am a senior bowler (56) stroker and just want to get more competitive. I have had a lot of suggestions thrown at me for coaches such as Bill Spigner, Ron Hoppe, Mark Baker, Kegel Centre and USBC Training center but not sure on the best option or other suggestion. The location is not a issue and would love some feedback from forum members.
rrb6699
THS Average: 235
Sport Average: 211
Positive Axis Point: 4 ovr, 1 up
Speed: 12-18.5 mph at pin deck
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: 15#-Incognito, Obsession Sld, Altered Reality, Astrophyx Prl
Medium Oil Ball: 16# Quantum Violet, Honey Badger Rev, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: 15#: StarTrak Ureth -Sky Blue
Preferred Company: Radical, Storm/Roto, Brunswk

Re: Suggested Coaches

Post by rrb6699 »

I go to Randy Staughton once a year at Kegel in Lake Wales, FL between Orlando and Tampa.

he's coached and been very successful with coaching many winning college and women pros.

I may go with you if you go there.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

I second Kegel training center in Lake Wales, last summer I had a half day coaching session with Del Warren and the experience was great plus you get a video analysis you can study afterwards. You will also find out important measurements such as how consistent is your launch angle, speed and rev rate. You can't go wrong with Kegel plus afterwards you can enjoy many neat attractions such as Disney, Kennedy Space Center and Universal Studios.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

I am also considering a Kegel trip in Jan or Feb. My timing is fairly flexible. I'm a 50 year old tweener/stroker and wouldn't mind doing (something like) a 1 day group lesson and a day of practice afterwards.

I have some friends who have gone there and speak very highly of the coaches and center. It's possible one of them could also make the trip.

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
rrb6699
THS Average: 235
Sport Average: 211
Positive Axis Point: 4 ovr, 1 up
Speed: 12-18.5 mph at pin deck
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: 15#-Incognito, Obsession Sld, Altered Reality, Astrophyx Prl
Medium Oil Ball: 16# Quantum Violet, Honey Badger Rev, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: 15#: StarTrak Ureth -Sky Blue
Preferred Company: Radical, Storm/Roto, Brunswk

Post by rrb6699 »

I can go march or april. it sounds like he may be coming in that timeframe anyway. we could do a group lesson and get a discount for a scheduled group. plus they have a newer CATS system than when I went before.

another plus is if you are a returning customer there's an additional discount. I can probably get a bowler or two attending with us. they will assign multiple coaches if necessary.

the reason I dont go more than annually is the information and feedback you get are such that you can't apply it all right away. I refer back to the dvd you get and some of the techniques that are suggested don't seem to apply, but, later on they do sometimes.

the video analysis with comments is always great to be able to review. the other thing is the center can duplicate conditions and topology almost exactly for any tournament in the world. I could do a half day of mental & physical game coaching and half on laneplay on some of the sport and challenge patterns.

lets plan some and see who can attend and try to get an idea of the best date(s). sometimes the center has events or training so we might have to consider that as to scheduling.