Average vs. Great Pro shop

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

slmrcs

Re: Average vs. Great Pro shop

Post by slmrcs »

A bad pro-shop has someone who just drills everyone the exact same way and when there is a problem they tell you, you are not holding the ball right.
A bad pro-shop tell you that lateral finger pitches don't matter and to stop listening to guys on the Internet.
A bad pro-shop guy looks at you like your crazy for asking about forward thumb pitch.
Bad pro-shop people just talk over customers and don't care about feedback.
Like anything, people can be dogmatic and stuck in their way. They have their own (often antiquated) ideas on how things should be done, and that's that.
RightyComplex
THS Average: 221
Positive Axis Point: 5.25 left, 1/2 up
Speed: 16.5
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 12

Post by RightyComplex »

With extreme pitches, I like to tuck them however I put the grip in to the point where its the lowest the then pull up. (I.e.) 1/2" rev push the grip until the top is flush, small bead the top of the grip to set it, then pull it up to the tallest point, relax it then glue. that way it keeps the shape as much as possible.

Cutting the grip shortens the lifespan especially if done incorrectly. The only time I cut the grip is in the case of smaller grips for the 31/32" or in the case of vacu-grips. In that case, I set the bottom edge, mark it, pull it out and then cut it. Just trying to get as clean a cut as possible, most times with a pair of scissors.
James C. Jones, Innovative Bowling Products Certified Pro Shop Operator
Orbdrillers Pro Shop, Petersburg, Virginia
Local IBEW 666, Journeyman Wireman
Rev Dominant, Lefty
16.5 mph, 300 rpms, 12* of Tilt, PAP: 5.5" left x 1" up
Shazaam
THS Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over and 1/2" up
Speed: 14-15 MPH, Qubica Monitor

Post by Shazaam »

Here's another example of a bad pro shop. During practice today, I got into the pro shop and ask for a surface change. When the PSO hands me my ball back, he asks me what I think of my Yeti Uncaged with the MOtion Hole. I tell him I love it on a house shot. He tells me that he doesn't recommend it because no touring professional uses it. In fact, no touring professional lays out their ball using dual angles. I smile and nod, and walked out, vowing to never give this shop another cent.

Now, this is a chain Pro Shop run by a regional PBA member and he has a good reputation in the area. But this just showed me that there is still a lot of bad information still lingering around.
My current Stats:

RH
PAP: 5" over and 1" up
Speed: 14.5-15.5 MPH at Monitor
Rev rate: approx. 250-300 rpm
Tilt: 13-15 degrees
Rockmd
Preferred Company: The Rock Shop

Post by Rockmd »

What the pro shop should be doing is inserting the Finger grips Upside down 180 degrees then use a razor to cut them. Then after that flip them right side up.. Problem solved no cut edges on top..
Rockmd
Preferred Company: The Rock Shop

Post by Rockmd »

What a good proshop should be doing is flipping the grips upside down and 180 degrees when they cut the finger grips then flip them back over.. Problem solved