Coaching overweight people.

Questions about coaching?

Moderator: Moderators

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Coaching overweight people.

Post by kajmk »

Don Johnson mentioned that at one time, that most of the leading money winners on tour were underweight. He was one.

Well we all know that people come in all shapes and sizes. Our body types and various circumstance can add challenge and frustration to the sport. This can act as a deterrent to staying with or starting the sport.

Over the years, I've never seen this topic our subject get what I consider good coverage.
In short, little attention is devoted to helping people who do not fit certain molds.
Another area lacking attention is senior bowlers.

While a pat answer would be "get in shape, eat right", if it were simply a matter of words, there'd be no weight loss industry. Not happening.

So I'm asking for the coaching community to share their collective experience and wisdom.

From a personal stand point, I've been overweight several times.
Not lately, but like many we grow too soon old and too late smart.

It's a lot easier to coach "the body beautiful", more challenging the converse.

Comments, suggestions, tips, are welcomed, especially if you have optimized the game of the physically challenged.

Again, this is an overture to help people and increase the bowling population.

Cheers.!
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
amyers2002

Re: Coaching overweight people.

Post by amyers2002 »

I would love to see some comments on this. I'm sure there are lot's of us that this effects including myself.
spmcgivern
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Post by spmcgivern »

I thought about this some when it was first asked, and again now. I am one of those people who will usually reply with one needing to be more physically fit, but only if it is fitness holding them back. It seems issues that would plague an "overweight" person could be the same as a "fit/ideal weight" person. Footwork, timing, swing slot, etc. are issues that affect many bowlers independent of their physical appearance.

But if the issue is truly physical, then what other opinion is there other than fitness? Is the question being posed what are ways overweight people can circumvent ideal aspects of the approach/release? That is different.
flibblesh
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by flibblesh »

spmcgivern wrote:I thought about this some when it was first asked, and again now. I am one of those people who will usually reply with one needing to be more physically fit, but only if it is fitness holding them back. It seems issues that would plague an "overweight" person could be the same as a "fit/ideal weight" person. Footwork, timing, swing slot, etc. are issues that affect many bowlers independent of their physical appearance.

But if the issue is truly physical, then what other opinion is there other than fitness? Is the question being posed what are ways overweight people can circumvent ideal aspects of the approach/release? That is different.
I'd comfortably argue that being a fat guy makes things harder, as a fat guy. Getting a straight swing under your head for example - this is made harder by fat on either your side, or on your arms, or under armpit etc. It can literally bounce the ball off it's path.

I can comfortably play 16 games one after the other, so fitness is not an issue.
Steven Bourgaize

Rev Rate: Roughly 300
Ball Weight: 15lb
PAP: Smear
Span: Teeny
spmcgivern
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Post by spmcgivern »

flibblesh wrote: I'd comfortably argue that being a fat guy makes things harder, as a fat guy. Getting a straight swing under your head for example - this is made harder by fat on either your side, or on your arms, or under armpit etc. It can literally bounce the ball off it's path.

I can comfortably play 16 games one after the other, so fitness is not an issue.
True, my choice of words was incorrect. I should have said size. I have seen large bowlers with amazing form and be able to have a straight swing and everything else bowlers want in their game. But many have physical issues as you have stated that prevent them from achieving them.
spr3wr
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by spr3wr »

Everyone is a athlete inside some are just more athletic than others. We all know real good bowlers that physically has a hard time looking like a modern bowler because of weight or age. So you DON'T have to look like Mike Fagan or Stefanie Johnson to be successful.
I think most of the bowlers I have coached have been overweight but that doesn't change on how I coach. I coach everyone the same. I teach them the modern game. As the lessons progress I find out what each bowler can and can't do. Never let the overweight bowler think that she/he can't get a little lower or add more side tilt.
I think mostly the bowler has to trust that they CAN have some knee bend and some side tilt. Doing drills will help improve any bowler . Doing the foul line and 1 step drills shows the overweight bowler that they can look like a modern bowler. The overweight bowlers even with a slightest knee bend and small tilt will have enough space from the trail leg moving out of the way to get the ball under their head. When showing videos to these bowlers most are amazed on how much room at the ankles they have at the release point. With a little side tilt they see that they don't have to swing the ball around the body!
I'm coaching a overweight high school bowler that at our 1st practice (and many afterwards) she would fall down after the release. I have seen her fell at least 15 times. On November 20 this young lady won the Michigan Youth Masters tournament.
Basic fundamental , good timing and good drills are the key to helping the overweight bowler.
The real issue is the bowlers with bad knees.
None active - USBC Bronze level coach
Dick Ritger level 1 coach
2 300 games
1 800 series
High average 223
Coaching with pros in clinics since 2004
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

This man gets the job done !!!

[youtube][/youtube]
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over, 1 1/2" up
Speed: 18 MPH
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 80
Preferred Company: DV8/Radical

Post by Mongo »

As a fat guy, I can tell you that one of the big challenges is creating swing space.

When working with other people of size, or my own game, I stress lateral tilt to open up some space for the swing.
USBC Silver Certified Coach
JMerrell wrote:Mongo,
We need to work on getting that teddy bear body of yours more open throughout the approach.