Mo Says

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Re: Mo Says

Post by JohnP »

From: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11256" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: Keeping engraved names on bells from losing the color

Fill the engraving with color and paint clear nail polish over it. It will stay!
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

Taken from: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11274" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To straighten out what seems to be confusion, double thumb layouts maximize both the differentials of a drilled ball. By scientific definition, strong ball motion is ball motion that turns translational energy into rotational energy the soonest. For lay people, that means the ball will hook "early and often". There's nothing in there that says there's any delay in the breakpoint. Depending on the axis rotation and axis tilt of the bowler, it will be perceived as either early roll or complete continuation. Some people think strong ball motion means flip on the backend. If you use the scientific definition of strong ball motion, that's NOT it.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JohnP »

Continuing the previous post with another quote from the same thread:

We can provide "flip hook" in the ball design anytime we, at Radical, want with our core technology. The double thumb technique is the way to turn that ball into a massive hooking monster
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

From: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11278&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (see #26)

Nope.

Once the ball hits the pins, the motion is dominated by the rotational inertia of the ball assembly. Created by the core structure!
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

From: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11274" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (#10)

DT is early and often while the MOtion Hole is late and hard. MOtion Hole delays the breakpoint and increases the severity of it. A must for ALL high track, slower speed bowlers. Like many of those who were born before the advent of color television. Opposite motions!
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

Taken from: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6086" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (#86)

Correct! If the bowler does NOT rotate the axis the ball will not hook no matter how much it flares. When a ball enters the roll phase it stops hooking, but it still continues to flare. You'll see it on every shot thrown that enters the hook phase at the correct time.
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

Taken from: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11397" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (see #4)

Keep in mind that the difference you are seeing is probably based on the ball you have to throw with the EBI accelerometer. It doesn't work accurately with flaring bowling balls. The real world measurements are accurate. If you can measure tilt by measuring the distance across the track and check the PAP with tape, then that's accurate with that ball.
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

Taken from: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11409" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (see #5)

Here's the fact. Changing from full max. negative statics to full max. positive statics will alter ball reaction 7.8% That's math, not opinion.

(See #11)
That # is a mathematical calculation of how far the center of mass can be moved within a ball compared to how far the COM can be moved by using the allowable mass properties of the ball.
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

Taken from: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11116" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (see #5)

Balance hole size and location is the most critcal factor to ball motion on a symmetrical ball because it moves the PSA of the drilled ball around so much. On no thumb drillings, the balance hole can cause wild swings in the PSA location because the drilling holes remove so little mass from the ball. I recommend drilling the finger holes at least 3" deep on no thumb balls to help stabilize PSA movements when adding a balance hole. layouts.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JohnP »

From: viewtopic.php?f=15&p=76060#p76060" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Post #22

On symmetrical balls without a balance hole, use the PAP as P1.

Note: This may be a repeat, but the subject comes up fairly frequently, so wanted to have it near the end for reference. -- JohnP
boybrowny

Post by boybrowny »

JohnP wrote:From: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4784" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll try to make this plain. All balls are delivered with more axis rotation than tilt. Cannot be any other way. The laws of physics dictate that. The ball loses both rotation and tilt. The ball loses rotation faster than it loses tilt until tilt = rotation. That occurs at the second transition. FACT! During the roll phase (after the second transition) the ball loses rotation and tilt at the same rate until the ball hits the pins. That should keep your mind busy for a while.

I disagree that "ALL balls delivered have more rotation than tilt". If there is one thing I have learnt in 35 years of bowling is you need to be REALLY careful using words "always" and "never". For example, spin bowler (or thumb only bowlers) in Asia can throw a 90* axis, 90* rotation release, llikewise i have seen novice bowlers release 0* and 0* , again rotation is not greater than tilt, IE Tilt=Rotation. I will conceed however that I don't recall seeing a ball being thrown with MORE rotation than tilt.. (but i bet the throw-bot could do it - and with sum of the weird releases i've seen out there it wouldn't surprise me if someone in the world throws more tilt than rotation..)
Australia & Asian zone bowler
350-450 (370 "A" game) rpm
30 (+/- 10) at
60 (+/- 15) ar
18 (+/- 2) mph
5", 1/4" pap

Here to learn as much as I can...

http://www.trybowling.com
http://www.high5bowling.com
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

boybrowny wrote: I disagree that "ALL balls delivered have more rotation than tilt". If there is one thing I have learnt in 35 years of bowling is you need to be REALLY careful using words "always" and "never". For example, spin bowler (or thumb only bowlers) in Asia can throw a 90* axis, 90* rotation release, llikewise i have seen novice bowlers release 0* and 0* , again rotation is not greater than tilt, IE Tilt=Rotation. I will conceed however that I don't recall seeing a ball being thrown with MORE rotation than tilt.. (but i bet the throw-bot could do it - and with sum of the weird releases i've seen out there it wouldn't surprise me if someone in the world throws more tilt than rotation..)

If you read the thread that quote is from Mo also said:

"When I get a chance ot read that in detail. As far as I've known, AXIS ROTATION MUST BE > OR EQUAL TO AXIS TILT AT ANY POINT DURING THE BALL ROLL! ALSO, ROTATION CANNOT INCREASE AS THE BALL GOES DOWN THE LANE."

That covers the 0°axis and 0°rotation & the 90°axis, 90°rotation
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

viewtopic.php?t=7832" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Question on effect of interchangeable thumb assemblies.

NO EFFECT!!!!!!!

MoRich, Storm, and the USBC did a combined study on both interchangeable thumb assemblies, and that was the result.
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

quote="Mo Pinel"]
SebastianM wrote:This question might be a bit to technical,
but is there a guideline or maybe a rule of thumb where you can say

a RG 2.45 ball first transition is 3 feet early then a RG 2.50
and a RG 2.50 ball is 5 ft earlier then a RG 2.58?

Could the balls first transition start difference be sorted by RG?
Its obviuos that a 2.55 skids longer then a 2.45, but the question is how much? or at least how much approx.?

Thanks for answers :)
NOT A CHANCE!!! TOO MANY VARIABLES!!! A DIFFERENCE OF .030" IN TOTAL DIFF. IS BARELY DETECTABLE!!! ONLY THE RG OF THE BOWLER'S PAP MATTERS!!!!
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=94" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The drilled ball will display the motion caused by these three factors in order of priority:

1) Differential ratio
2) Total differential
3) The RG of the PAP

Remember, you must consider the complete ball, not just the core! The mass properties are of the complete ball system. You cannot separate the core from the ball. Cores do NOT roll well by themselves. They bounce!
deadpin6
THS Average: 190
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8 UP 1 1/16
Speed: 16.5 at pin deck
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 25
Axis Rotation: 60

Post by deadpin6 »

[quote="JohnP"]From: viewtopic.php?t=329" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On higher track (lower tilt) players, I try not to use pin to PAP distances in excess of 4 3/4" because it can pull the track up on the holes. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens often enough for me to avoid it.

Note - in a subsequent post Mo says that applies to both

symmetric and asymmetric balls. -- JohnP[/
quote]

Does being beyond this point excessively affect the location of the bow tie and the cause of catching the middle figure hole?

I ask this for two reasons
1st, a while back a ball I had drilled that ended up being 5.75 from pap and the bow tie was high adjacent to my grip and the ball itself was non responsive

2nd, a team mate is having a simular issue but with the flare catching his middle finger but not on release but after the ball
breaks into a roll prior to hitting the pocket. It seems relocating the pin to pap the only option to correct this effect or is ones release a contributor as well?
W.C
Pap 4 7/8 up 1 1/16
AT 25
AR 65
Speed 15.5- 16 @ monitor
RR 250
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JohnP »

Here's a quote from Mo on a layout for a plastic spare ball to minimize hook.

Here is how Mo does it:
"The standard spare ball (least hooking) layout is to drill the ball with 1/2 oz. negative side on the label. If you want to be anal (like me), drill the ball with the pin 6 3/4" from the PAP on the midline and put the balance hole on the negative axis point to make the side weight legal, if necessary. That's actually the way to make it go the straightest."

elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

"On modern balls the top bowtie is usually about an 1 1/2" to 3" above the line(on the track) from the PAP through the pin. The bowtie(location?) is far less defined than it used to be because of the stronger dynamics of modern cores."