Questions about coaching?

Moderator: Moderators

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Essence of the value of video

Post by kajmk »

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=XN0pKb0TBRs[/youtube]

Https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=XN0pKb0TBRs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Old tale (dare I say tail) that helps reinforce the value of the use of video.

Video is a tool that can be used for:
Diagnosis; Teaching; Development.
Coaches keep video libraries to illustrate by example, compare and contrast etc.

Other sports use it.

There is freeware on the internet.

Cheaper than crystal balls.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_m ... n_elephant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Re: Essence of the value of video

Post by deanchamp »

Video is an invaluable tool for the coaching analysis I do, and when bowler's can see themselves on video frame by frame, where the images don't lie, they are more willing to want to work on making changes to improve their game. It is also very useful to show before and after shots, to compare them to other bowlers, and to archive footage from when they are bowling well to use as a reference for when they are not bowling so well, as it is usually relatively easy to spot what they are doing differently and rectify it.

Slow motion video is also a fantastic way to show bowlers what they are doing with their release. When you can slow an action down that takes place in a split second by filming it at 120 or 240 fps, it is possible to show the bowler what they currently do and how it could be improved. Last week I helped a bowler increase his rev rate from 360rpm to 400rpm in one session just by pointing out a few things I noticed in the slow motion video. To say he was pleased would be an understatement, but it wouldn't have been possible without the use of modern technology.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Thanks for your cogent reply. I am an admirer of your contributions here on the forum.you no doubt have a talent for helping people, the desire and knowledge to do so very effectively.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
spr3wr
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by spr3wr »

I will not give or take a lesson without the use of video. I think I have a pretty good eye when coaching. I know what I'm for but the use of video has made me understand that nobody can see everything at full speed.
Once, while given a lesson my student was saying that he was staying behind the ball.He said by the time his hand moved up infront of his face he could see his palm. I could see at the release point the turning of the thumb inwards. So I video tape a shot to show him. He was shocked that his hand could rotate that fast. Sometimes the videos is for the coaches and sometime it's for the bowlers.
While practicing last week a bowler came up and wanted to know when I was done could I give him a lesson. I told him I never give a lesson without my camera. We got together later that week.
None active - USBC Bronze level coach
Dick Ritger level 1 coach
2 300 games
1 800 series
High average 223
Coaching with pros in clinics since 2004
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Post by deanchamp »

kajmk wrote:Thanks for your cogent reply. I am an admirer of your contributions here on the forum.you no doubt have a talent for helping people, the desire and knowledge to do so very effectively.
John, your time and generoristy to help all bowlers and bowling chat members is unparalleled and I, along with no doubt many others, really appreciate the work you do to nurture and expand the wisdom within the forum and to grow the sport of bowling that we are all passionate about. I have been here since 2010 to learn and to share and yourself, Mo, Jim, Eric, John, Elgavachon, Kelly and many many members have shared decades of bowling knowledge FOR FREE, and we're all the better for it.

Keep up the excellent work!
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor