Bowling Ball Surface Adjustment Table

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

jbungard
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
THS Average: 209
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/4" over, 3/8" up
Speed: 17 foul line, 15 pindeck
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Ridiculous Asymetrical
Medium Oil Ball: Radical Guru Limited
Light Oil Ball: Radical Rack Attack Solid
Preferred Company: Radical

Bowling Ball Surface Adjustment Table

Post by jbungard »

First, thanks to each of you who take the time to support the BowlingChat.net forums. I've bowled and drilled since the early 70's but continue to learn and grow in our sport. This forum probably has the highest ratio of useful information versus, well not-so-useful information and posts, than any bowling-related forum/website I'm aware of.

Over recent years, I developed a bowling ball surface adjustment table in Excel to help my own understanding and gain clarity in a graduated system of surface adjustments. In the last year or so, I modified the table based on one provided on the MoRich site while adding some of what I've learned over the years. The table is attached to this topic as an portable document format (PDF) file. I submit this as a contribution to the collective knowledge of the forum. The table accounts for differences between ANSI/CAMI (U.S) and FEPA (European) abrasives grading and also includes scuff pads, and polishes, with and without abrasives. If you see anything that seems amiss, please feed back.

Special thanks to MegaMav, Mo and friends for their vision for the BowlingChat forum.

Thanks again,

Jim B.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My specs: 15 pound equipment, PAP is 5 1/4" over and 3/8" up, ball speed 17 mph at release, 14 1/2 to 15 mph down lane, 13 degrees of axis tilt, 45 degrees of axis rotation, 330 rpm, for my normal release.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Bowling Ball Surface Adjustment Table

Post by MegaMav »

Jim, thank you for the contribution and your feedback.
We have something similar on the wiki:
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... _chart.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would you like me to upload your reference chart to the wiki as a companion to the grit conversion chart?

I'm curious to see what everyone else has to say about your chart.

-Eric
jbungard
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
THS Average: 209
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/4" over, 3/8" up
Speed: 17 foul line, 15 pindeck
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 13
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Ridiculous Asymetrical
Medium Oil Ball: Radical Guru Limited
Light Oil Ball: Radical Rack Attack Solid
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by jbungard »

Hi Eric,

Thanks. Yes, I've seen the chart on the wiki and agree that it is an excellent, comprehensive reference.

I think the table I provided is also worth adding to the wiki as it provides, perhaps a simpler perspective towards making surface changes in logical steps.

Jim
My specs: 15 pound equipment, PAP is 5 1/4" over and 3/8" up, ball speed 17 mph at release, 14 1/2 to 15 mph down lane, 13 degrees of axis tilt, 45 degrees of axis rotation, 330 rpm, for my normal release.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

Jim,

I have added your reference to the surface modification page under the tech pages section.
It is listed under additional references.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... dification" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you would like to put in more notes feel free to edit the file page by logging in and editing.
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... _Table.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone can make changes to articles, and reupload files, just by logging into the wiki with your forum user ID and password.

Thanks again,

-Eric