Axis Tilt: 18
Axis Rotation: 65*
Heavy Oil Ball: REAX Version 2
Medium Oil Ball: Yeti Untamed
Light Oil Ball: Grease monkey
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Spare shooting...

Post by halfaclue »

My college bowling coach used to have me blindfold myself and bowl entire blocks that way, spares and all. If I didn't strike, he would tell me what I left. It truly helped my balance, courage and mental eye/vision.

I like the HOOK MONSTER to learn with. I did this and now I don't use a plastic ball. I can carry more striking equipment ( yes a plastic ball can be used to strike, just not as often).

When I throw at my single pins, I like the mental thought of dragging the little red wagon from when I was a kid. Thumb down and then extending the thumb thru the target. I have found this most effective.

I apologize for my numbers being off (pin width and ball width in boards) in my earlier post, I will do better about posting more accurate numbers, and thank you all for being kind while correcting.
Dan

Ball speed: 19 mph (off hand)
Tilt: 18*
Rotation: 55*
kwettig
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 212
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 over 5/8 up
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 380
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich HookR
Light Oil Ball: Motiv Venom Strike
Preferred Company: Morich

Post by kwettig »

I always use a 'hook monster' and throw straight with speed at everything but a few multi-pin spares. I've been working on my 'quiet eye' for all my shots and that seems to be helping. As I was watching some youtube video of pro's shooting single pin spares it seemed like a lot of them were always throwing over 4th arrow and adjusting their feet to hit their target. That has been working for me. Up to 89% on single pin spares and haven't missed but one ten pin in quite a few attempts, 13/14 since the last post. I think some success will ultimately be what helps me the most. That way I'll practice and use one methodology rather than second guessing and trying different things. 100% might be my new goal! Thanks for all the info from everyone!
Kyle Wettig
IBPSIA Adv. Certified Tech.
Breakpoint Pro Shop
New Richmond WI
2y2
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8 and 3/8 over
Speed: 17 mph
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 10º
Axis Rotation: 45º
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm CodeX
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Python
Light Oil Ball: Pitch Blue
Preferred Company: None

Post by 2y2 »

kwettig wrote:I always use a 'hook monster' and throw straight with speed at everything but a few multi-pin spares. I've been working on my 'quiet eye' for all my shots and that seems to be helping. As I was watching some youtube video of pro's shooting single pin spares it seemed like a lot of them were always throwing over 4th arrow and adjusting their feet to hit their target. That has been working for me. Up to 89% on single pin spares and haven't missed but one ten pin in quite a few attempts, 13/14 since the last post. I think some success will ultimately be what helps me the most. That way I'll practice and use one methodology rather than second guessing and trying different things. 100% might be my new goal! Thanks for all the info from everyone!
I'm glad to know that you're improving your spare shooting, there's a technique outthere known as the "triax spare system" and I find it to be very effective, developed by Rolf Gauger in 1999, you can get a copy in the BTM magazine and there's another copy of it for free here:
http://es.scribd.com/doc/43759805/Triax-en-Espanol unfortunately it's in spanish, the translation was made by Sergio Avila, authorized by Rolf Gauger.

There's another interesting article about spare shooting here:
http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/sto ... ooting.pdf

Hope it helps
If you think I helped, please click on the "+" button, Thanks.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

There are more than a few topics dealing with spares. I fished this one out because I observed one person inquiring about spares on one of the 3 point targeting with quiet eye threads. Rather than respond there, I thought I'd float a spare shooting topic up to the surface as we have added a lot of members since then. This is not to imply anything pejorative, only to help those who may need it.
If anything, the quiet eye aspect of the 3 point system applies to all shots.
For the newer members, check out the search button and of course the wiki.
The tried system mentioned in this thread is available on the wiki.
I studied under Rolf for a while.
Basic rule of spare shooting, take the lane condition out of play as much as possible.
New folks might want to look up the "spare ball or no spare ball" debate.

The analogy I always use is that a pitcher does not throw breaking balls to first base.
Throwing too hard or with too much axis rotation is adding negative variables.

If you are not satisfied with your corner pin conversion rate, look at Jim's article on the wiki.

Take care.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John