Hand position right before release

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

wdwspy101
THS Average: 180
Speed: 12.5-15
Heavy Oil Ball: ruckus feud
Medium Oil Ball: 400a se drilled very strong
Light Oil Ball: solid freeze
Preferred Company: Motiv

Hand position right before release

Post by wdwspy101 »

Hello all,
Need a little help, I have been bowling for just about 3 years. My biggest issue is I move my hand before release. From what other see and I see when I video my self, I'm good till I get to the line. I don't keep my hand behind the ball, so when my thumb comes out first my hand is above the middle of the ball and to the right. So I only get about a small amount of hand on the ball. Also I am right handed, forget to mention. But even when I get lower to the lane at release I still can't keep my hand in the right position. Also when I keep my shoulders square at the line, on top of being lower, I get a little bit better but not much of a difference. I just want to know if there is some things I can do at home (exercises, etc)? When I practice I try to work on getting my hand n the right spot at release, but I just can't. So any help suggestions, help, etc. Would be very appreciated.

Thankfully,
Mike
Wish I was at kegel center
In my bag 14lb balls
400a se track
Solid freeze columbia 300
Ruckus feud dv8
Spare ball blue hammer
10lb quantum
Started bowling late summer 2012
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Hand position right before release

Post by kajmk »

wdwspy101, you might consider adding a name to your signature.
It's easier to respond to a name versus a screen name.

A few tidbits.

There's an old song about how this bone is connected to that bone etc.
In short, bowling is a sequence of events, thus what happens before influences what happens afterwards.
To rule out causes and culprits other than the hand, consider submitting a video on the Certified Coaches Forum.
Video Capture guidelines
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... e_Coaching" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Believe me it is not always your hands fault. For example, the walk and footwork facilitate a good swing and descent of the hips that help keep your arm in an efficient location.

[youtube][/youtube]

The fit of the bowling ball is of paramount importance, if you squeeze the ball it is almost impossible to reach your potential, it is an enemy of a clean release and a fatigue factor.
Be sure your ball fits well (see the articles on the wiki)
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... p_Pressure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... on_Johnson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... im_Merrell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That being said and dealing only with the arm and hand.
First a video by Coach Richard Shockley. He has over 30 video tips on youtube, enjoy them while they are still there. This man has worked with PBA elite bowlers and shleps like me.
Pay particular attention to the direct and orientation of the crease of his elbow.
This is an excellent tip and use of props, the tube, the book. Add a mirror or do this on the approach with a partner a la Dick Ritger methodology.

[youtube][/youtube]

Side bar note, without a thumbhole it's almost impossible to turn the ball early.
Try a foul line drill or one step with a light house ball while only using your fingers (NO THUMB).
Try rolling a Large Can of Tuna (Norm Duke's DVD) on a carpet at home, just support the can with your bowling fingers and palm, no thumb, you turn early, you drop it. Note the dimensions of Tuna work well. Do that Tuna drill while looking at your self in a mirror or other reflective surface.
Put tape in the crease of your elbow as pin the Shockley video to highlight your arm position.
Also, during drills watch yourself isolating on the area of focus.
Think about following through with the crease of your elbow towards your focal point (give blood to the focal point).
Also, one way to work towards a productive hook ball is to start off learning how to throw a ball straight. Information quoted below. This is also the best way to shoot corner pin spares or any spare that does not require power.
Here is a bit of wisdom by one of our forum members, Greg Helms.
Greg's Bowling Chat ID is FitDocSr
This is an excellent tip and method.

Put a piece of white tape on your PAP. When you can at least make it face the left gutter (straight ball) you are behind it at release. Dont try to hook it (or dont try to turn your hand). Once you have that under control, then you can start adding turn with the hand.
I teach that you cant hook it properly until you can roll it straight properly. Also helps on spares.

USBC Silver Certified Coach
Brunswick Pro Staff
*The opinions expressed are solely those of the writer and not of Brunswick Bowling & Billiards Corporation
Here is a drill by another top coach Bill Hall. Bill has been a coach and mentor to many a pro bowler including Norm Duke and Danny Wiseman, Bill was a student of John Fantini.
His articles for Bowling This Month were golden.
The obvious caveat here is that the weight of the ball is supported by the floor and thus the bowler is not dealing with gravity.

[youtube][/youtube]
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
wdwspy101

Post by wdwspy101 »

Thanks John,
I know of a few of these drills, but you gave me some new ones. I feel this will be very helpful. Also next time I practice I will video my shot and post it.
Thanks,
Mike
Mike
In my bag 14lb balls
400a se track
Ruckus feud dv8
Spare ball blue hammer
10lb quantum
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Hi Mike.
Jim Merrell often uses Doug Kent as a poster boy or so he jokes. Be that as it may, he does use photos of Doug.
Here are a couple of wiki links that have sequential pictures of Doug in action.
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... _Flat_spot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... Upper_Body" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You mentioned getting low, that reminds me of a spot in Mark Bakers DVD.
''Define low". If low is like Doug's posture, that's good.
Mark said "when I was 23 this is what low meant, now that I'm 53, here's what low means (he bends from the waist head forward ... )

That flat spot elongates the time you have to land the ball like an "airplane", with little or no flat spot you are releasing on the up or on the down. The airplane comparison is something John Howdy used.

I'm assuming you've ruled out strength as an issue.
Take a look at Ron Clifton's articles he has numerous articles possibly germane.
We have a link on the wiki, he is at bowl4fun.com

Rolf Gauged sometimes used the "force it to fail" technique. More or less its starting from the converse. For example intend on a backup ball, work towards a straight ball, lastly to a hook.
Keep it simple, if you are trying for an elite release such as is called the modern release, back off for now.
You crawl before you walk and walk before you run.

Dick Either built a methodology based on divide and conquer, isolation. Basically getting each component to work then integrating the components.

Rolf Gauger also used a slow motion method from time to time, basically just slowing things down.
Incidentally, rolling the ball slowly during warmups can help you read the lanes.
Most people can't and should not be rolling at game speed during those 10 or 15 minute "practice sessions" before league. That should be called WARM UP not practice. Bowling is an athletic endeavor, a pitcher would never come in a throw at full speed. Its interesting that in baseball they call those 15 tosses before he pitches Warm pitches.
But of course, they also stretch. Look around and see how many bowlers stretch and loosen up before league.
I digress.

At any rate I thought I'd mention the above.

I hope this helps.

If you get that video posted that will clear away the fog.

Take care.

John
wdwspy101

Post by wdwspy101 »

John,
How do I do the tuna can drill?
Mike
In my bag 14lb balls
400a se track
Ruckus feud dv8
Spare ball blue hammer
10lb quantum
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

wdwspy101 wrote:John,
How do I do the tuna can drill?
Mike, I saw that on Norm's DVD.

As it turns out, we have at least one description already on the forum

KWagner1977
Post subject: Re: what causes a high track?
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:23 pm Post Number: #26
KWagner1977 wrote:
Norm Duke has one of the best tips on this. Get yourself a medium sized can of tuna. Hold it like you would a bowling ball with your bowling fingers on the tuna can. Cradle it like a bowling ball. Roll the tuna can off your finger tips, with the V of your fingers (the middle and pointer fingers) facing forward(or visualize the pins). The can will roll forward in front of you

This is keeping your hand behind the back of the ball, with a higher track. Now attempt to do the same thing but use a little football flip on the tuna can. The can will now roll a tad bit right to left.

The more you football flip, without rotating the elbow, the more the can will roll sideways.

If you have a billiard table at home. Roll billiard balls on the table the same way. I used to practice rolling the ball with different spins into the corner pockets from the opposite end of the table.

The hardest part will be taking the information your hand and mind feel with the little objects and doing it with a bigger object like a bowling ball.

Take this information out to the lanes and practice the 1 step drill with it, or the one knee drill with it. The one knee you can do at home.

Get Norm Dukes video to see it visually for yourself.
Here is a link to the thread.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4711&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I remember a practice session a long time ago where I committed to something like that.
I had the best roll and hit in my life. After the session, I discovered I had blistered and broken the blister on that spot, a spot that I had never used before. It was like someone else was rolling the ball, someone better than me. Come to think of it, where did that guy go???? :? :oops:

John
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

There have been some recent posts regarding early turn or arm movement.
One was posted and pulled this morning that caught my eye by jvh42.

I thought I'd bump this one up as there is some good stuff.
Additionally, we may get some additional input.

Cheers.

John