Benchmark Layout and Ratios Help!

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

pcrowell4
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Benchmark Layout and Ratios Help!

Post by pcrowell4 »

I am struggling understanding how to come up with benchmark layouts for a certain bowler, such as the example given in the L201 Exam. I have no other issues within all courses except for building benchmark layouts for Asymmetrical and symmetrical balls. I appreciate any help that is given!
Hand: Right
PAP: 4.5 Right, 1. Up
Speed: 20 MPH Release, 18 MPH Monitor
Rev Rate: 420-435
Axis Rotation: 50-55 degrees
Axis Tilt: 10 degrees
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Benchmark Layout and Ratios Help!

Post by EricHartwell »

Welcome to bowlingchat.

When I am figuring out a benchmark the first thing I look at is the tilt. Then the Dual angle ratio guide is used to get you close with the ratio.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... atio_Guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Secondly I look at rotation to get the ratio closer.
Next I figure out if the bowler is speed dominant, rev dominant or match speed to revs. This info helps zero in on the ratio from the guide.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... evRate.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then the totals. Starting at 95* for a matched speed to rev bowler and adjust up for rev dominance or down for speed dominance.
Adjustments are then made for tilt and rotation.
High rotation or high tilt will lower the totals.
Low rotation or low tilt raises the totals.

ex. for a bowler that is match speed to revs with 10* tilt 60* rotation
2:1 ratio 100* total, I raised the total because of the slightly lower tilt of 10*
100/3=33, this is the 1 in the 2:1 ratio, the VAL angle
100-33=67, this is the 2 in the ratio, the drilling angle
I would round these numbers so it looks like 65-xx-35, this is for the Asymmetrical benchmark

Next you need to figure out the pin distance xx.
I start at 4" pin to pap and adjust from there. With 10* tilt and 60* rotation I would shorten the pin to pap to 3.5"
So the Asymmetrical benchmark for my example would be 65-3.5-35.
The Symmetrical would be figured from that and be 70-4.5-30

I suggest using the search function at the top of the page and search "benchmark" and study the benchmarks given for the bowlers specs. Get involved in the posts to gain a better understanding.
I know I didn't cover everything but I hope this helps.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
pcrowell4
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by pcrowell4 »

I appreciate the help... I understand the Ratios portions of things now. Now I am trying to figure out how you approached the Pin to Pap for the layout suggestions. For both Asymmetrical to Symmetrical Balls? and how you come up with the different symmetrical benchmark with the same specs?
pcrowell4
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by pcrowell4 »

Is the different layout for the symmetrical ball different since there isn't a true PSA or the PSA is in the thumb and will change with weight holes?
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

pcrowell4 wrote:I appreciate the help... I understand the Ratios portions of things now. Now I am trying to figure out how you approached the Pin to Pap for the layout suggestions. For both Asymmetrical to Symmetrical Balls? and how you come up with the different symmetrical benchmark with the same specs?
All you can do is target a layout on a symmetrical ball & try to come close. Mo adds 5* to the Drilling angle & subtracts 5* from the VAL angle to get an idea of what you want. Keeping that in mind, for symmetrical I would use Radical's layouts adjusting with balance holes which is the best way to fine tune your symmetrical layouts.

Just study the flare chart for asymmetrical & symmetrical balls to choose your pin to PAP distances. http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... lAngle.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (page #5)
pcrowell4
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by pcrowell4 »

elgavachon wrote: All you can do is target a layout on a symmetrical ball & try to come close. Mo adds 5* to the Drilling angle & subtracts 5* from the VAL angle to get an idea of what you want. Keeping that in mind, for symmetrical I would use Radical's layouts adjusting with balance holes which is the best way to fine tune your symmetrical layouts.

Just study the flare chart for asymmetrical & symmetrical balls to choose your pin to PAP distances. http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... lAngle.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (page #5)
I appreciate the Help.. It makes sense now, and I'm pretty sure I understand it!