Z-axis vs. Y-axis

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
val-one

Z-axis vs. Y-axis

Post by val-one »

New to the forum. Have a couple questions regarding Z spinning axis cores versus Y spinning axis cores. I have 2 symmetrical cored balls drilled with the same layout (Reign and Reign of fire) weight holes on axis. I spun both after drilling, one spun Y the other Z, both have MB on thumb. What is the difference between the two? Is one stronger than the other?
purduepaul
THS Average: 215
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over by 5/8" up
Speed: 19
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 65
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling

Re: Z-axis vs. Y-axis

Post by purduepaul »

I'm a little confused by your question and some statements.
I spun both after drilling, one spun Y the other Z, both have MB on thumb. What is the difference between the two? Is one stronger than the other?
You spun both on a determinator and found the PSA in the thumb...then how do you know one spun the the y and one spun to the z the determinator ALWAYS spins to the high RG spot on the ball.
Paul Ridenour
former Sr Research Engineer at USBC
Radical Bowling Technologies Staffer
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

purduepaul wrote:I'm a little confused by your question and some statements.
You spun both on a determinator and found the PSA in the thumb...then how do you know one spun the the y and one spun to the z the determinator ALWAYS spins to the high RG spot on the ball.
Let me try to clarify this one. We used to refer to y and z spinning balls to denote the difference between balls that marked the high RG axis and the intermediate RG axis as the mass bias. In that nomenclature, z spinners were balls where the manufacturer marked the intermediate RG axis as the mass bias and y spinners were balls where the manufacturer marked the high RG axis as the mass bias. The DeTerminator will always find the high RG axis, which is the PSA. Layouts are accurately done by using the PSA (high RG axis) when doing the layout. Can you post pictures of the two balls being discussed with the PSA marked to clarify this, so I can finish commenting accurately.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
val-one

Post by val-one »

Thankyou for clarifying Mo.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

val-one wrote:Thankyou for clarifying Mo.
In picture #2, you marked the negative end of the high RG axis. The positive end is 13 1/2" from that mark, which puts it on the mark in picture #1. What ball is in picture #4?
MeNoRevs
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 120
Positive Axis Point: 5 3/4 x 1 ^
Preferred Company: I prefer them all

Post by MeNoRevs »

Mo Pinel wrote: In picture #2, you marked the negative end of the high RG axis. The positive end is 13 1/2" from that mark, which puts it on the mark in picture #1. What ball is in picture #4?
I am pretty sure its a Nomad Pearl.
val-one

Post by val-one »

Correction to first my post not a reign , its a nomad pearl, sorry about that confusion ( It must have been a long day for me). I guess my question is why one ball spins axis out to the sides and the other ball ( nomad, same layout spins with marks closer to each other? The PSA ends up on both balls around the thumb. Maybe I was incorrect using the term Zaxis for the Reign of fire? I apologize if I'm not articulating my question clear enough. I am new to this technology. Though I have to thank you guys, I'm learning more from this forum in a few days, than I have learned in years from people around my city.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

val-one wrote:Correction to first my post not a reign , its a nomad pearl, sorry about that confusion ( It must have been a long day for me). I guess my question is why one ball spins axis out to the sides and the other ball ( nomad, same layout spins with marks closer to each other? The PSA ends up on both balls around the thumb. Maybe I was incorrect using the term Zaxis for the Reign of fire? I apologize if I'm not articulating my question clear enough. I am new to this technology. Though I have to thank you guys, I'm learning more from this forum in a few days, than I have learned in years from people around my city.
Let me try to clarify this. On drilled symmetrical balls without a balance hole, like the Nomad, the PSA (high RG axis) will end up 6 3/4" from the low RG axis within 1" of the grip centerline. Once a balance hole is added, the PSA moves toward the balance hole. The Reign of Fire has the balance hole added so the PSA moved to where it currently is. The Nomad does not have a balance hole as far as I can tell, therefore, the PSA is near the thumb. Adding a balance hole to the Nomad will cause the PSA to move towards the balance hole. The bigger and deeper the hole, the closer the PSA will get to the balance hole.
The Kid

Post by The Kid »

He did say in the first post that they both have "weight holes on axis." I think you just can't tell on the Nomad Pearl because the picture isn't straight on at the grip like the Reign of Fire.

Could the distance between the two circles be explained by the size of the blocks? I've heard the Reign of Fire has one of the largest weight blocks made today.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

The Kid wrote:He did say in the first post that they both have "weight holes on axis." I think you just can't tell on the Nomad Pearl because the picture isn't straight on at the grip like the Reign of Fire.

Could the distance between the two circles be explained by the size of the blocks? I've heard the Reign of Fire has one of the largest weight blocks made today.

The distance between the holes is because they were spun on both the left and the right side. The closer the two holes are together, the stronger the PSA of the ball. The one with the holes closer together has the stronger PSA (higher diff. ratio). It should be reflected in their spin times. The Nomad has a huge block also.
val-one

Post by val-one »

Thankyou for your insight, it is all clear to me now. I checked the spin times on both balls, and it is reflected in that aspect, like you said it would be (the reign of fire had a spin time of about six days). It is also clear to me now that any shop without a DeTerminator should not be in business. The 2nd most critical tool every shop needs, 1st being a drill-press. Thanks Mo
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

val-one wrote:Thankyou for your insight, it is all clear to me now. I checked the spin times on both balls, and it is reflected in that aspect, like you said it would be (the reign of fire had a spin time of about six days). It is also clear to me now that any shop without a DeTerminator should not be in business. The 2nd most critical tool every shop needs, 1st being a drill-press. Thanks Mo
Thanks for your support. I agree as to how important a DeTerminator can be.
Xact1
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 Over by 3/4 up
Speed: 16
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 16
Axis Rotation: 60
Preferred Company: No Preference

Post by Xact1 »

Mo Pinel wrote: Thanks for your support. I agree as to how important a DeTerminator can be.

This thread really shows the value of the DeTerninator. Mine is on order, should be at the pro shop this week.

Mo, I still need for you to send me the updated instructions!
Gary Palma
X-act Reaction Pro Shop
Brunswick/DV8/Radical Professional Staff
Ebonite Gold Pro Shop
Rotogrip Star Pro Shop
http://www.xactreaction.com

Performance fitting, bowling ball selection and layouts for YOUR game!
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

Xact1 wrote:
This thread really shows the value of the DeTerninator. Mine is on order, should be at the pro shop this week.

Mo, I still need for you to send me the updated instructions!
Will be there soon.