Drill Sheet Database

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

Excel4Bowling

Re: Drill Sheet Database

Post by Excel4Bowling »

DarkHorse wrote:Is there some way to "jump" to a specific record, or do I have to use the arrow buttons?
Example: File opens at ID 1, but I want to look at ID 25 out of 50.

Also, once I've entered the records, is there a way to re-organize them so that all the records from each customer are consecutive? Otherwise, as I add new records for a new ball, the records alternate from one customer to another, and back and so on. Or should I use a separate database for each customer?

But overall, I'm really liking this.
At the moment you have to use the Arrow Buttons,
BUT you can use the Filter options in the bottom left to return fewer records to have to move through
(The ID isn't an option here as it is only row identifier, so it could change if records are deleted or re-sorted)
Am also considering changing the arrows to a slider (like the sensitivity bar), which will allow you to jump through more than 1 record at a time.

It is intended that you only have the one database, so will look at allowing the Data Table to be sorted.
In theory there is an option when protecting worksheets to allow sorting, but I must of done something to prevent it working.
=====================
http://www.facebook.com/excel4bowling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Home of the Drill Sheet Database
=====================
Triplicate
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/2 x 1 1/2
Speed: 16-18 at Foul Line
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 7-10
Axis Rotation: 45+-

Post by Triplicate »

DarkHorse wrote:Is there some way to "jump" to a specific record, or do I have to use the arrow buttons?
Example: File opens at ID 1, but I want to look at ID 25 out of 50.

Also, once I've entered the records, is there a way to re-organize them so that all the records from each customer are consecutive? Otherwise, as I add new records for a new ball, the records alternate from one customer to another, and back and so on. Or should I use a separate database for each customer?

But overall, I'm really liking this.
I don't think you really want to try and remember specific record ID's because there is no need to do so that I can think of. I think it's best to go straight to the customers name to look up their history. Besides, on the main page he's already designed in the drop down list of all your previous customers under "Bowler"

What's important is to find a specific customer provided he/she has already been
entered into the database at least once. Over time then when you filter by name (using the Bowler (Name) drop down box) you instantly jump to that customers history and you'll be able to see at a glance all the previous work/drilling's you've done in the past. It does not get any better than this.

You could also (for example) filter all the 60 x 4 x 40 layouts you've done in the past for all your customers in this same way. Or, maybe, find all the bowlers with the same PAP coordinates. Find all the bowlers with the same rev rate... no problem. The possibilities are endless since you can combine filters and ask... show me all my customers who throw 15 lb balls at 16 mph. I think it's perfect the way it's designed now. When you become more experienced in how Excel filters work and how to combine them you'll quickly realize the power behind this wonderful spread sheet.
High Game - 300 (20), 299 (10), 298 (2), 11 in a row (18)
High Series - (278 Triplicate) = 834 (9)
HOF induction - 2 (1 Local and 1 Provincial)
Is this helpful? Then Click the Image on the bottom right.
Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over, 1 1/2" up
Speed: 18 MPH
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 80
Preferred Company: DV8/Radical

Post by Mongo »

Holy crap. Sliced bread can move over.

Thanks so much for putting this up. I'm done with half a$$ed drawn layouts on the back of envelopes trying to see what layouts look like.

Also, thanks for showing me that there are people waaaayyyy better at Excel than me.
USBC Silver Certified Coach
JMerrell wrote:Mongo,
We need to work on getting that teddy bear body of yours more open throughout the approach.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

Excel4Bowling wrote:Following interest in the Drill Sheet Database that I posted the other month,
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=919
I decided to put it in it's own thread, and keep any "upgrades" in the same place.

The database was created for my local Pro Shop, and is written in Excel 2010 and VBA.
It holds Grip Measurements and also Dual Angle Layout with a graphical layout.

It's available for anyone to use for Free
Drill Sheet Database v3-0-1.zip
Edit: Original Zip File Corrupted. New Zip File Uploaded 26 Feb'14
Macros need to be enabled within Excel.
Sheets are protected to prevent any inadvertent changes to formulae etc.
Password’s available upon request to unprotect sheets.

This new version 3-0-1,
- addresses a couple of typos in non-essential formulae
- adds in a conversion of "track diameter" to tilt angle

Also, in the zip file there is a second spreadsheet that queries the database, so it can be used to create your own "reports" without affecting the database. The initial pivot table it creates is based on a request, but you can then tailor it to your individual needs.

Please send any feedback or suggestions for improvements.

Cheers

Kris
(Excel4Bowling)

Improvements Currently Requested
- Ovals for Thumb & Fingers
(I believe that there are several methods for oval-ing holes, and would like to include the most common ones, so any help in understanding how people mark-up their paper drill sheets will be most useful)
- Ability to Sort Data Table
Improves ability to keep a bowlers records consecutively
Kris,
Awesome work with the spread sheet. Even as is, with some bugs, there are many that will just use it to see what a layout is going to look like. That being said once you get it to a point your happy with Please get with MegaMav and get it put into the Wiki.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
Excel4Bowling

Post by Excel4Bowling »

EricHartwell wrote: Kris,
Awesome work with the spread sheet. Even as is, with some bugs, there are many that will just use it to see what a layout is going to look like. That being said once you get it to a point your happy with Please get with MegaMav and get it put into the Wiki.
Eric
Do you have any examples of the bugs?
I'll see if I can't squish them before I post another release.
(With work and currently taking my builder to Small Claims Court, it will probably be a couple of months before it will be ready)
I will include some code to import data from the current version into future ones, so no-one will need to re-enter any records that they put into this current version.

Kris
=====================
http://www.facebook.com/excel4bowling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
=====================
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

Full roller and over rolled full roller layouts won't work due to limits for pin distances,PAP, drilling and VAL angles. I'm thinking that might be a daunting task to be able to incorporate into the layouts.
I still think it is Wiki worthy with out that functionality.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
Excel4Bowling

Post by Excel4Bowling »

Drill Sheet Database version 5 now available
There are several big changes:
- Layouts can be entered by either Dual Angle or VLS systems
- Fields have been increased to capture, what I hope, is the vast majority of useful information
- Improved user interface
Still a great tool for keeping your own records, discussing layout ideas, and for Pro Shops to keep their customer's layouts.

To save hijacking a forum, etc.
I've started a Facebook page to help manage any modification requests and technical issues that anyone may have.
www.facebook.com/excel4bowling
For those of you not on Facebook, you can still contact me through the PM on this forum.
Just realised that if you're not on Facebook that you cant see the Notes and Screenshots.
They're now attached to Post #1 of this thread

Thanks for your patience
& I look forward to your enlightening queries
They have been most useful to me while developing this tool
& a planned update that I hope to roll out soon (-ish)

Kris
Last edited by Excel4Bowling on February 24th, 2016, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=====================
=====================
nipravsky
Preferred Company: self

Post by nipravsky »

hi kris
thouth it was free :lol:
left hand
pap 5 over 1 up
speed of hand 17 mph
rev 180 rpm
axis tilt 10 degree axis rotetion 80 DEGREE
Dustin
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by Dustin »

Any of you been using this, if so any comments.
Have Ebonite Drill Spec Coordinator but looking for something more up to date.
* MPH @ aarows
* RPM
AR *
AT *
PAP 3 3/4"
(* rebuilding)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson