Rev Rate: 550
Axis Tilt: 5
Axis Rotation: 55
Medium Oil Ball: storm IQ tour pearl
Light Oil Ball: rotogrip scream
Preferred Company: storm/roto grip

Spine Tilt

Post by kboveington »

The more I've been learning about coaching as well as coaching others, the more I am realizing how important spine tilt is throughout the approach. I looked in the wiki and found some images of Doug Kent which was somewhat helpful. However I am looking for a clear cut number in degrees for the beginning, middle, and end of the approach. I know what a 2 handers should be, but I find myself rarely working with 2 handed bowlers.

Any coaches out there with some input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance, Kevin
Make spares make cut, miss spares miss cut. " Bill O'Neil "
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Spine Tilt

Post by JMerrell »

The Rules are there are No Rules.

Bowling like many other sports is not about determining exact positions one must go through to compete at the highest levels. Do all high level athletes have commonality in their physical movements……..absolutely. Are they all clones…...absolutely not.

As for a clear cut number in degrees:
Often in my video analysis you have seen me tell someone to increase their lateral spine tilt angle at address. My reference point is that a line drawn through the centerline of the head should intersect the outside of the ball side foot. I have never checked this angle to make sure it falls into a certain range. The lateral spine tilt angle combined with positioning the ball under the head establishes the proper ball to head relationship that we need to maintain throughout the approach.

Short version:
Set-up with your head over the ball at address and maintain that relationship through-out the approach and the spine tilt angle will take care of itself.

If you’d like to see some numbers:
Spine tilt at address………………………..18, 20, 22, 16
Spine tilt during ball placement………28, 36, 36, 34
Spine tilt at release………………………...38, 40, 40, 42

These were some numbers I recorded from Doug Kent, Tommy Jones, Jeff Carter and Jason Couch.

Incidentally, in a related post to another member, I mentioned that utilizing a Balance Beam step during ball placement increases lateral spine tilt angle. The above numbers confirms my assumption.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
kboveington
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5 7/16 right ⅜ down
Speed: 20-21 mph at foul line
Rev Rate: 550
Axis Tilt: 5
Axis Rotation: 55
Medium Oil Ball: storm IQ tour pearl
Light Oil Ball: rotogrip scream
Preferred Company: storm/roto grip

Post by kboveington »

Thank you! That was very helpful! I think ill adopt the *short version * its probably the simplest way to teach or explain to somebody.

However the numbers were helpful to me. From the 4 players you used the average numbers throughout approach average out to 20's, 30's, then about 40. So it should be a gradual increase in lateral spine tilt from start to finish.

Thanks again!
Make spares make cut, miss spares miss cut. " Bill O'Neil "
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JMerrell »

Yes, spine tilt increases throughout the approach.
See my comments regarding the fundamentals in post #4.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8667&p=69039#p69039" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kevin,
As a coach you are on the right track, learn everything you can by studying and comparing the mechanics of high level athletes. Bowlers will always find away to adapt to the every changing environment. As a coach we must evolve with them and the environment.
-JMerrell
GBuck

Post by GBuck »

Hi Jim,

As far as the swing in relation with increasing the lateral spine tilt during the approach, would this increase in tilt help the down swing get closer to the body, helping the hand stay inside the ball?

Thanks,

Glenn
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JMerrell »

GBuck wrote:Hi Jim,
As far as the swing in relation with increasing the lateral spine tilt during the approach, would this increase in tilt help the down swing get closer to the body, helping the hand stay inside the ball?
Thanks, Glenn
As long as the head remains over the ball the swing will be close enough to the body.

Sorry, but retaining lateral spine tilt will not keep the hand on the inside.
The hand has to be on the inside coming down in order to be there entering the release area.
-JMerrell