Gradient line balance hole without deTerminator?

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

dave300
Positive Axis Point: 5 5/8> 5/16^
Speed: 17.5
Rev Rate: 425
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: RipR
Light Oil Ball: PM...
Preferred Company: MoRich

Gradient line balance hole without deTerminator?

Post by dave300 »

A little history on me first! I have been drilling balls for 6 years now and own a small private pro shop. I attended a pro shop seminar that Mo and Ron Bragg (from Brunswick) hosted in Houston when the LevRG Responce was released. The seminar topic was about the USBC ball motion study and dual angle layouts. I fully understand the dual angle system and have been utilizing it since then. The questions I have are mainly about the gradient line balance hole.

The question I have is, Can you fully take benefit of the Gradient line system without a deTerminator? I have tried to use the marked psa (mass bias) to pap to properly place the balance hole but really didn't see the results. After watching the videos of all the awakening cored balls and the new RipR with the unique core the P3 balance holes always seen to end up roughly 1" above the marked psa. I do understand that the psa will migrate towards the drilled thumb hole and the true psa is used to mark the gradient line. My pap is very similar to Jack Jurecs @ 5 over and 1/2 up so would it be safe to assume that I could drill a ball using the strong layout (40x4X30 P3) and just place the balance hole 1" above the marked psa? Or would using the marked psa to pap be safer? Just trying to educate myself more on these new techniques to give the bowlers I drill for the best ball reaction I can. I plan on purchasing a deTerminator later this summer, no shop within 6 hours of me has one...
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Re: Gradient line balance hole without deTerminator?

Post by Mo Pinel »

dave300 wrote:A little history on me first! I have been drilling balls for 6 years now and own a small private pro shop. I attended a pro shop seminar that Mo and Ron Bragg (from Brunswick) hosted in Houston when the LevRG Responce was released. The seminar topic was about the USBC ball motion study and dual angle layouts. I fully understand the dual angle system and have been utilizing it since then. The questions I have are mainly about the gradient line balance hole.

The question I have is, Can you fully take benefit of the Gradient line system without a deTerminator? I have tried to use the marked psa (mass bias) to pap to properly place the balance hole but really didn't see the results. After watching the videos of all the awakening cored balls and the new RipR with the unique core the P3 balance holes always seen to end up roughly 1" above the marked psa. I do understand that the psa will migrate towards the drilled thumb hole and the true psa is used to mark the gradient line. My pap is very similar to Jack Jurecs @ 5 over and 1/2 up so would it be safe to assume that I could drill a ball using the strong layout (40x4X30 P3) and just place the balance hole 1" above the marked psa? Or would using the marked psa to pap be safer? Just trying to educate myself more on these new techniques to give the bowlers I drill for the best ball reaction I can. I plan on purchasing a deTerminator later this summer, no shop within 6 hours of me has one...
The amount of movement of the PSA will depend on the intermediate diff. of the undrilled ball. Here are some estimates. If the ball is symmetrical (.000 int. diff.), use the thumb hole as the PSA for Gradient Line Placements. If the int. diff. of the undrilled bal is between .008 and .020, use a spot half way between the marked PSA and the thumb hole as the real PSA for Gradient Line Placements. If the int. diff. is over .020, use the marked PSA for Balance Hole Placements. These are good estimates and will produce good results. A DeTerminator is still the most accurate way to do it. Remember, the larger the volume of the balance hole, the more it will have an effect on the ball motion of the drilled ball.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
dave300
Positive Axis Point: 5 5/8> 5/16^
Speed: 17.5
Rev Rate: 425
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: RipR
Light Oil Ball: PM...
Preferred Company: MoRich

Re: Gradient line balance hole without deTerminator?

Post by dave300 »

Thanks MO!!!