Why do bowlers need so many bowling balls?

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
greatinmymind
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Why do bowlers need so many bowling balls?

Post by greatinmymind »

This may get lengthy, but please help out with this.

I am driving myself nuts with the latest ball releases. I use to think that you need to use one bowling ball company because you could just buy their different price level balls and you would have an arsenal. But lately, different companys have brought out equipment I feel I "need". This is crazy.

To make this in short, can someone explain to me the idea that a bowler needs different equipment for different oil conditions. And Im not talking house conditions, I have two balls on a house shot, Low end, and lower end.

Thanks for the advice.
odddood
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 and 0
Speed: 16 mph
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Vivid /Rex
Medium Oil Ball: Yeti
Light Oil Ball: IQ Tour
Preferred Company: Radical / Motive / Storm

Re: Why do bowlers need so many bowling balls?

Post by odddood »

greatinmymind wrote:This may get lengthy, but please help out with this.

I am driving myself nuts with the latest ball releases. I use to think that you need to use one bowling ball company because you could just buy their different price level balls and you would have an arsenal. But lately, different companys have brought out equipment I feel I "need". This is crazy.

To make this in short, can someone explain to me the idea that a bowler needs different equipment for different oil conditions. And Im not talking house conditions, I have two balls on a house shot, Low end, and lower end.

Thanks for the advice.

If you carry 8 or 10 ball with a Dimsum cart don't you think that makes you look like a serious bowler????
Someone said that to a firend of mine that used to carry 8 ball with a donkee kart.

lol
greatinmymind
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by greatinmymind »

My old ass couldnt carry 8 bowling balls. But what makes me look like a serius bowler is my Simpsons bowling shirt.

I guess my real question or point is if you will, is that if you have 6 or 7 patterns that you have to bowl on, do you drill up 6 balls that can bowl on a variety of patterns, or do you have a ball for each look that you want to see on each patten.

To me, 2 or 3 times a year, new equipment comes out, I get excited like many bowlers and start to find ways to fit a new ball into my arsenal. How do other people decide when to put a new piece of equipment into your set? Or are most like me, see ball, buy ball, if like ball, keep ball, if dont like ball, throw ball in closet?

Maybe im alone, but I doubt it.
kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Post by kellytehuna »

You are DEFINITELY not alone my friend! LOL! If I had the money, I swear I would be buying a ball every month or 2. However, I know that buying like that is pointless, so I try to make sure that when I do buy, I buy to fill a hole or get a new reaction. Something different. I now have 4 balls, plus a spare ball. Each ball has a different reaction and breakpoint shape, so they give me a different look. I only want to add one more piece to my arsenal at the moment: Brunswick Avalanche Urethane Pearl. Between those 5 balls, I should have a pretty good look on most of the shots I've seen around here.
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
glssmn2001

Post by glssmn2001 »

I own around 10 bowling balls, I do not need all of them but was curious on how some of them roll. I bought a Dark Star and an Onyx just to check them out because I heard good things and the masses were right. I did the same thing with the N'tense and Cherry Vibe and like neither. So for me it is not a need but maybe just curiousity.......

It also helps when you get them on the cheap......
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

Thanks for the advice.
I've always had the philosophy that you should have as many balls as you need to play the game at the level you choose to. An arsenal should be well planned. It should include enough different motions to cover all the conditions you might encounter. The more versatile you are in your physical game, the fewer balls you need to enjoy the game at the level you would like. I believe arsenals should be constructed by ball motion, not price. If you can do it cheaper, all the better, but performance should be the key to acquisitions.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
jakester
THS Average: 220
Heavy Oil Ball: Craze/Mania
Medium Oil Ball: Craze/Mania
Light Oil Ball: usually change release
Preferred Company: MORICH

Post by jakester »

Everytime Mo comes out with a ball I want to try it, IF it sets up with the patterns I bowl on... the balls are just getting better and better. That being said, I bowl twice a week in the same house and the house shot is either flooded, or way flooded unless there's been a machine or operator error, which has us scrambling. Or something like open bowling on a pair just before the league starts.
I don't bowl in a sport shot league so I don't have the problems some guys do. I don't carry a ball for ten pins either, I adjust my release. :P
BackInTheGame
THS Average: 193
Positive Axis Point: 5" x 1/4" up
Speed: 17.5 qubica monitor.
Rev Rate: 275
Axis Tilt: 7
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Jet Altitude, MoRich Mania
Medium Oil Ball: Jet Armor, Cell Pearl, Cell, Anaconda
Light Oil Ball: Lane #1 Chainsaw
Preferred Company: No preferance

Post by BackInTheGame »

My "arsenal" is a mess. I buy a ball when I find a "can't turn down" deal. Not the smartest way to build an arsenal and it shows in my case. Lots of overlap especially when you include the Supernova XP I recently aquired.

I will have to at some point get rid of everything and start over and actually put some thought into it. I'm not even a "serious" bowler, yet, but I aspire to be. I just don't have a lot of free time right now, plus I want to get serious about Golf again as well.

I know I could walk into my center on league night with one ball and still average close to 200, but what fun would that be? Plus I like the psychological lift it gives me when I change balls when I'm struggling, even if it's a ball that has a similar motion, lol.
jakester
THS Average: 220
Heavy Oil Ball: Craze/Mania
Medium Oil Ball: Craze/Mania
Light Oil Ball: usually change release
Preferred Company: MORICH

Post by jakester »

Sometimes change is good, sometimes it really kills you. I change when I feel the shot has changed AND what adjustments I've made aren't working... that XP you got is a nice ball but not anywhere near The Craze... :roll:
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

Thanks for the advice.

You need as many balls as you need to enjoy competing in as many competitions as you choose to compete in. Your versatility as a player and the diversity of the conditions and common sense will determine what that number should be. The key to the modern game is the ability of modern bowling balls to create different shapes to the ball motion depending on their design, the layout, and the lane condition, all variables. LET COMMON SENSE BE YOUR GUIDE, and please includeMoRich in your choices.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)