when to change the surface of a bowling ball

Questions about coaching?

Moderator: Moderators

Aolsen123
Preferred Company: hammer

when to change the surface of a bowling ball

Post by Aolsen123 »

So something has occurred during a travel league I do where some lanes are more oiled then others and some still have wood lanes . So how do you know when to change the surface of your bowling ball?
Westbrook lanes
160 avg
A_olsen727@yahoo.com
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: when to change the surface of a bowling ball

Post by JMerrell »

Aolsen,
Welcome to the site.

1) First... you can only adjust the surface of the ball prior to throwing your first ball for score in league or tournament play.
2) You don't mention anything abut your equipment, but based upon your listed average I will assume you only have one ball.
3) Go to the WIKI and read everything you can find about ball motion.
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... all_Motion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
4) I am going to exclude lane condition in my response as this is a subject in itself.
5) In a very general sense, if during practice you cannot seem to get the ball too hook like it normally does at your home center.....you need more surface.
6) If on the other hand every ball you roll down the lane seems to hook more than you are used to seeing your ball hook....you need less surface or a less aggressive ball.

Moved Your Topic To The Coaching Discussion Forum For Additional Member Contributions.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
Aolsen123
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by Aolsen123 »

I have a ebonite gamebreaker hammer blackwidow nasty n a storm invasion n getting a DV8 too reakless n I wasnt sure if you should have different surface
Westbrook lanes
160 avg
A_olsen727@yahoo.com
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

If you have similar layouts and surface on each of those balls, then surface changes will definitely be needed or you will have a 4 ball arsenal that will roll very much alike and not be versitile.

Layouts for each of your balls would be needed to make recommendations on surfaces.

What I would do is take them all to the lanes and roll them on the same line and see how different they are and shine or sand as necessary to make sure you have 4 different ball reactions to choose from.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand