Finger inserts or not

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
Athery
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/2 x 7/8
Speed: 16
Rev Rate: 270
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 70

Finger inserts or not

Post by Athery »

Guys, a friend of mine is considering not to use a finger inserts. But before that, he want me to post this questions in this forum. What are the pros and cons of using finger inserts other than comfort? And is there any span or pitch related issue when not using the inserts?
Thanks!
Adrenaline
Positive Axis Point: 5>1^
Speed: 15.5
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 70
Medium Oil Ball: Pink Panther

Re: Finger inserts or not

Post by Adrenaline »

The first thing that comes to mind, is Revs. Although a few people have been going conventional, or Sarge Easter (half and half). More often than not, you're looking at a definite decrease in RPM's, and most often it's used for people who have wrist, hand or finger injuries, who need the extra gripping help.

My question would be Why does your friend think he needs to drop the finger inserts?
IceWaLL

Post by IceWaLL »

For a year I used no inserts and the bonus to me was being able to add tape to adjust the fit perfectly AND I was able to feel my rotation much easier. I think most people use it to help them not grab at the release.

I am currently with grips due to the holes sometimes feeling different ball to ball due to the sanding disc sometimes creating unwanted bevel. I also went back to grips for ball layouts... I had trouble with finger weight due to the switch grip system I have been using.
MattCosta7
THS Average: 200
Heavy Oil Ball: Mania 40* x 4.25" x 30* P3.5 1000 Sia
Medium Oil Ball: Evil Siege 45 x 4 x 35* 2000
Light Oil Ball: Cherry Vibe 50* x 4.5" x 45* P2 4000 + FF + Extender
Preferred Company: MoRich, Hammer, Roto, Bruns

Post by MattCosta7 »

IceWaLL wrote:For a year I used no inserts and the bonus to me was being able to add tape to adjust the fit perfectly AND I was able to feel my rotation much easier. I think most people use it to help them not grab at the release.

I am currently with grips due to the holes sometimes feeling different ball to ball due to the sanding disc sometimes creating unwanted bevel. I also went back to grips for ball layouts... I had trouble with finger weight due to the switch grip system I have been using.
If you want to go back to gripless, you can always try to accomodate by using 4-6" pin outs, and/or drilling each of the finger holes deeper.
MattCosta7
THS Average: 200
Heavy Oil Ball: Mania 40* x 4.25" x 30* P3.5 1000 Sia
Medium Oil Ball: Evil Siege 45 x 4 x 35* 2000
Light Oil Ball: Cherry Vibe 50* x 4.5" x 45* P2 4000 + FF + Extender
Preferred Company: MoRich, Hammer, Roto, Bruns

Post by MattCosta7 »

There are quite a few reasons why someone would choose gripless. Adrenaline, I believe he would be staying with a fingertip style grip, just instead, drill holes that fit his fingertips, rather than 31/32 and use an insert.

Many find increased feel out of a grip-less fit. You have a more direct contact area with the ball. Some will find this beneficial, as they are less prone to gripping. Grips have "Squish" to them, which sometimes causes a grip it firmer reaction.

Another pro to a grip-less fit, is consistency. The gripless hole never changes in size, and never wears out. Grips, on the other hand have a lifespan of 30-60 games (sometimes more or less, but the point is made)

Grips are tacky. Those with tackier skin will sometimes have trouble getting out of the ball cleanly due to the grip sticking onto the finger.

Without grips you can make the bridge much thinner, which many find more comfortable

They do make a urethane insert for the fingers as well, if you prefer having the same material ball - to - ball too!

Reasons for grips, are almost identical but opposite:
-Grips provide a consistent feel ball to ball (when new)
-Grips allow alittle squish, soo they're more comfortable
-They usually lead to less callus, since they're softer
-They CAN help keep your fingers in longer, which will lead to a better release (to a point)

It's all a game of feel. Drilling isn't expensive, if someone's interested in it, drill a ball. If they don't like it, make the hole bigger and put the grip in.
Adrenaline wrote:The first thing that comes to mind, is Revs. Although a few people have been going conventional, or Sarge Easter (half and half). More often than not, you're looking at a definite decrease in RPM's, and most often it's used for people who have wrist, hand or finger injuries, who need the extra gripping help.

My question would be Why does your friend think he needs to drop the finger inserts?
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

Athery wrote:Guys, a friend of mine is considering not to use a finger inserts. But before that, he want me to post this questions in this forum. What are the pros and cons of using finger inserts other than comfort? And is there any span or pitch related issue when not using the inserts?
Thanks!
My experience says it's a personal thing. With some people, they say it causes a change in ball motion. Other people say it doesn't matter to the ball motion. I believe it's a feel issue. We're all human. Darn it. It will require no grip adjustments if the fit is good. Make sure you pitch the fingers to match the final finger pitches, if lifts are used as inserts in the existing ball.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

IceWaLL wrote:For a year I used no inserts and the bonus to me was being able to add tape to adjust the fit perfectly AND I was able to feel my rotation much easier. I think most people use it to help them not grab at the release.

To eliminate the bevel problem tell your driller to just use his bevel sander to smooth the inside of the holes, not to create the bevel. Then either have him bevel the finger holes with his bevel knife or do it yourself with sandpaper. -- JohnP
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

JohnP wrote: To eliminate the bevel problem tell your driller to just use his bevel sander to smooth the inside of the holes, not to create the bevel. Then either have him bevel the finger holes with his bevel knife or do it yourself with sandpaper. -- JohnP
might be span is too long. I would try to post pictures.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

JohnP wrote: To eliminate the bevel problem tell your driller to just use his bevel sander to smooth the inside of the holes, not to create the bevel. Then either have him bevel the finger holes with his bevel knife or do it yourself with sandpaper. -- JohnP
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!
magicmike
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4-1/2"> 3/4"^
Speed: 17 off my hand
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Jackal Ghost, Forge Flare
Medium Oil Ball: Forge Fire, Jackal Flash, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: Supra, Desert Tank
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by magicmike »

As already mentioned its just a feel thing, it shouldn't present a change in rev rate or anything but when you add the human element of how you like the different feel things can change a bit.

I personally prefer the feel of a ball that does not have finger inserts, my rev rate did not change when I switched and I have tried inserts again and didn't notice a difference.
djmrely
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 217
Positive Axis Point: 5 3/8 ----> 1/2 ^
Speed: 17-18
Heavy Oil Ball: Red Death/Curve
Medium Oil Ball: Blue Death
Light Oil Ball: OG Massacre
Preferred Company: Lane #1

Post by djmrely »

I dont roll with grips, I'm gripless. The grips just feel to "spongy" to me when I grip the ball. Also with grips it just feels like the ball sits in my hand to long.
"Are there any people who care about how undrilled bowling balls roll?" - Mo Pinel
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

djmrely wrote:I dont roll with grips, I'm gripless. The grips just feel to "spongy" to me when I grip the ball. Also with grips it just feels like the ball sits in my hand to long.
Makes sense. Like I said, it's a personal thing.