Voodoo Layout

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

gtkpr31
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 236
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/16 right, 9/16 up
Speed: 18.5 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 419
Axis Tilt: 19
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: Brunswick Nexus f(P+F)
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Hy-Road
Light Oil Ball: Storm Natural
Preferred Company: Storm

Voodoo Layout

Post by gtkpr31 »

I was reading the Pro Shop Operators magazine by Bowlers Journal and it listed the Voodoo layout, invented by Dave Kreuter. It basically mentions it as a layout that low rev customers of his have had real success with.

It puts the pin 3-4" above the fingers and a 1" balance hole 4" deep at a distance of 9 1/4" from the center of grip. It mentioned it took a Dark Encounter from an .052 differential to a .072 differential with this drilling.

My question is, without the power of BluePrint (because there's no way I'm paying 500 dollars to only have drill information for ebi products) is there a way to ensure the customers don't flare over that balance hole, given that I already have their specs?

I have a few customers itching to try it after I mentioned it to them and I don't want to have it backfire. Thanks guys!
Joe

Turbo Grips Regional Staff
Miracle Lanes Pro Shop
Pittsburgh, PA
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Re: Voodoo Layout

Post by JohnP »

After drilling the gripping holes you can mark the proposed balance hole location with two or three layers of white tape and see if the ball hits them. But the balance hole is going to change the dynamics and if the change in differential is as much as reported it will flare more and may still hit it. If you give more details of the bowlers specs, the specs of the proposed ball, and the layout including exact balance hole location someone who has Blueprint and is interested could find an Ebonite ball with similar specs and check it for you. -- JohnP
xclusix

Post by xclusix »

can you post a link or where can i find more info on this layout? what is it supossed to do? where does the MB ends up in that kind of layout?
gtkpr31
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by gtkpr31 »

I'll give that a try John. I imagine the change the balance hole makes will make the track shift toward the hole so maybe ill try and think of something.

I will have to look for a documented drilling for it. Like I said, I saw it in the bowlers journal pro shop magazine.
Joe

Miracle Lanes Pro Shop
Pittsburgh, PA
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

From the author of the article:

viewtopic.php?p=53856#p53856
Dustin
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by Dustin »

MegaMav wrote:From the author of the article:

viewtopic.php?p=53856#p53856
I don't think this was the article gtkpr31 was talking about.

The article was in the BJI Proshop Operator Issue #3.

It talked about 3 different layouts. Rico, Fuller Roller, Boomer and Voodoo(layout is 57 x 5" x 7).
* MPH @ aarows
* RPM
AR *
AT *
PAP 3 3/4"
(* rebuilding)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
xclusix

Post by xclusix »

57*5"5* ?

Is it the same for every bowler?

Anyone has ever drilled one of these? doesnt it makes the hook phase like, very, very short?

i also believe 57* Drilling Angle is way too precise....
gtkpr31
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by gtkpr31 »

The dual angle they refer to was what was measured after drilling. From what I was inferring, they picked a pin distance above the fingers, then placed the hole, then measured what the dual angle came out to be.
Joe

Miracle Lanes Pro Shop
Pittsburgh, PA
rmack
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 000
Sport Average: 2
Positive Axis Point: 5.OOO by .25 up
Speed: 17ish @ foul line
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 80
Heavy Oil Ball: Panda solid
Medium Oil Ball: incog pearl
Light Oil Ball: bonus pearl
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by rmack »

I wonder if the chicken and tea leaves were sacrificed before or after putting the lines on the ball...

:roll:
Ron Machniak
http://www.precisionbowlingproshop.com
MoRich/Innovative Bowling Advanced Certified Technician
Radical Bowling Pro Shop Advisory Staff
Ibpsia Certified Tech, USBC Bronze Coach
LabRat
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 208

Post by LabRat »

xclusix wrote:57*5"5* ?

Is it the same for every bowler?

Anyone has ever drilled one of these? doesnt it makes the hook phase like, very, very short?

i also believe 57* Drilling Angle is way too precise....
From memory, the layout is designed to max top weight and diffs for low rev players. The ball rolls early, flare takes the top weight to effectively side weight which then makes the ball axis precess anticlockwise, like a lawn bowl. The ball seems to be much more effective with low axis rotation.

I just drillled a ball with a 7.5" deep thumbhole, 2.5oz top after drilling and increased total flare by maybe 25-30% relative to a 2.75" depth thumb. Bowler was very impressed with the difference. Hooks more and carries better.

Edit - the one I drilled with the voodoo layout (or at least my best guess for it) I had the bowler roll the ball then just placed the balance hole left of the first flare ring. It moved further from the hole after drilling the hole, fwiw,
Last edited by LabRat on November 24th, 2012, 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chemistry is like cooking - just don't lick the spoon.
CptZotti
THS Average: 194
Positive Axis Point: ~5 3/8" up 1/4"
Speed: 17mph Computer
Rev Rate: 400
Heavy Oil Ball: Mania
Medium Oil Ball: Mojave, Sigma Tour
Light Oil Ball: BCB
Preferred Company: Morich, Lane#1

Post by CptZotti »

gtkpr31 wrote:The dual angle they refer to was what was measured after drilling. From what I was inferring, they picked a pin distance above the fingers, then placed the hole, then measured what the dual angle came out to be.
With a 5° val angle the pin should end above the PAP not above the fingers.
Exception, would be a PAP very close to the grip centre.

Cüs,
Zotti
Current balls:
Mania 268, 279 (with C3.5 l/r)
Sigma Tour
Mojave
Gemstone
BCB
Swirl

Gone:
Raging Inferno : 300 - 731
Cobalt Bomb : 279 - 710, [300]
Apex Obsession : 297
Magnum 10 276 [279]
LabRat
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 208

Post by LabRat »

CptZotti wrote: With a 5° val angle the pin should end above the PAP not above the fingers.
Exception, would be a PAP very close to the grip centre.

Cüs,
Zotti
Yeah I thought that too, but if you place the pin high enough it is both above the fingers and has a low val angle (since the VAL and GCL meet at the pole). Welcome to spherical geometry, lol.
Chemistry is like cooking - just don't lick the spoon.
gtkpr31
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by gtkpr31 »

That may be true if you're working with normal pin to pap distances. But keep in mind that the pin is placed 3-4" above the ring finger. So super long pin distances can end up with small Val angles.
Joe

Miracle Lanes Pro Shop
Pittsburgh, PA
Blueprint
Industry Professional
Industry Professional
Preferred Company: NA

Post by Blueprint »

The philosophy behind this layout is to maximize the ball's static imbalance and to get the ball's axis of rotation to migrate such that it passes closely by the as-drilled CG towards the end of the lane. In general, you want to start with a ball with high top weight and a long pin-to-CG distance and you will generally end up using long pin-to-PAP distances, high drilling angles, and low VAL angles. Also, this layout generally is best used on low rev bowlers, as it tends to make the ball change direction down-lane pretty strongly.

Attached is an example of what this layout might look like, for the benefit of those that have not read the magazine article mentioned above. This layout is 85 x 6 x 10, with a 1" x 3" balance hole 12 inches above grip center. The bowler here has an 18 MPH ball speed, a 240 RPM rev rate, 50 degrees of axis rotation, and 10 degrees of axis tilt with a PAP of 5" over by 0" up/down.
Voodoo_Layout_Example.jpg
The layout and balance hole you end up with for a given bowler and bowling ball should maximize the ball's static imbalance and make the ball flare such that its axis of rotation migrates as closely as possible past the as-drilled CG, while keeping the ball flare-safe and statically legal. My biased opinion is that Blueprint is the tool that lets you achieve all of these goals most reliably. That said, a very good and very experienced ball driller might be able to get fairly close without Blueprint.

An important point to make here is that you aren't just trying to maximize flare...you want to have the right amount of flare so that the "left half" of the ball gets progressively heavier on the backend of the lane as the ball approaches the pins. If the ball flares too far past the as-drilled CG, then you lose some of the effect of this static imbalance.

If you think of the traditional "three phases of ball motion" model, this type of layout will make the ball transition through the "hook phase" pretty quickly. The interesting thing about static imbalance, however, is that a ball with significant imbalance can continue to hook after it enters the roll phase. The amount and direction of this extra hook depends on the amount of static imbalance and the orientation of the static imbalance relative to the ball's axis of rotation. This layout maximizes the imbalance and puts it in the right spot for continued hook during the roll phase. The amount of extra hook that we're talking about here is pretty minimal (maybe about 1 board over the last five or so feet of the lane), but it can have a significant impact on the ball's entry angle (close to 1 degree more than "traditional" layouts, in some cases).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gtkpr31
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by gtkpr31 »

Very great insight, BluePrint! I tried the Blueprint trial and I loved it and I think it's a great tool, I simply can't afford it since I only manage the pro shop here and I don't own it. It's really beneficial and I could see it working out for anything.

I am trying this layout next week on a customer and will report back on the results.
Joe

Miracle Lanes Pro Shop
Pittsburgh, PA
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13

Post by JohnP »

Does the track flare over the balance hole? I can't tell from the Blueprint drawings. -- JohnP
Blueprint
Industry Professional
Industry Professional

Post by Blueprint »

JohnP wrote:Does the track flare over the balance hole? I can't tell from the Blueprint drawings. -- JohnP
Sorry JohnP...the below image shows the flare on the other side of the ball.
Voodoo_Layout_Example_2.jpg
When you do this correctly, you don't flare over the balance hole. You aim to put the balance hole just above the bow-tie. If you do it incorrectly and make any mistakes along the way, flaring over the balance hole is certainly a possibility!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

How deep are the gripping holes in the model above? How heavy a top wt before drilling.
Blueprint
Industry Professional
Industry Professional

Post by Blueprint »

elgavachon wrote:How deep are the gripping holes in the model above? How heavy a top wt before drilling.
The finger holes are 2 1/4" deep and the thumb is 3" deep. The starting top weight was 4 ounces. If you have less starting top weight, you can go with shallower finger holes and/or a larger balance hole in order to achieve the desired post-drilled top weight of close to 3 ounces.
rmack
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 000
Sport Average: 2
Positive Axis Point: 5.OOO by .25 up
Speed: 17ish @ foul line
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 80
Heavy Oil Ball: Panda solid
Medium Oil Ball: incog pearl
Light Oil Ball: bonus pearl
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by rmack »

Attached is an example of what this layout might look like, for the benefit of those that have not read the magazine article mentioned above. This layout is 85 x 6 x 10, with a 1" x 3" balance hole 12 inches above grip center. The bowler here has an 18 MPH ball speed, a 240 RPM rev rate, 50 degrees of axis rotation, and 10 degrees of axis tilt with a PAP of 5" over by 0" up/down.
Can you compare the 12" holes effect on migration and ball path compared to a traditional double thumb balance hole?

I have used the opposite end of the axis on p3 and p4 holes to great effect when static imbalance is not in favor of the traditional placement and noticed the anticipated change in ball motion and spin times. I am curious to what differences the computer model shows...

thanks!
Ron Machniak
http://www.precisionbowlingproshop.com
MoRich/Innovative Bowling Advanced Certified Technician
Radical Bowling Pro Shop Advisory Staff
Ibpsia Certified Tech, USBC Bronze Coach