Full Roller Question

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
tdub36tjt
THS Average: 213
Positive Axis Point: 4 9/16 over 5/8 up
Speed: 16.5-17.5 @ pindeck
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Lucid
Medium Oil Ball: Lucid, The Look
Light Oil Ball: Endure
Preferred Company: 900 Global

Full Roller Question

Post by tdub36tjt »

Is the distance from a full rollers NAP going to control the ball motion? Can I put the pin 2" from the full rollers NAP and get a low flaring earlier read on a symm?? Also since the VAL can be drawn all the way around the ball can a VAL angle be used for a full roller as well? I am just trying to understand if the typical 45* from center of grip layout can be modified and I can help broaden a full rollers layouts? i think I understand this correctly, but it seems we are just drilling the ball off the NAP for a full roller to reverse the flare direction to keep them off the gripping holes. So it seems there should be a way to change a drill angle and VAL angle for a full roller and modify the ball reaction or am I off on this one??
LabRat
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 208
Preferred Company: Storm

Re: Full Roller Question

Post by LabRat »

Keep in mind that the other goal is to keep the bowtie around the centre of the grip. If it moves above the fingers or below the thumb you will hit holes.
Chemistry is like cooking - just don't lick the spoon.
tdub36tjt

Post by tdub36tjt »

Can I predict what way and about how much the track will move depending on where and how much the pin is moved??
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

On full rollers. the VAL is 6 3/4" from the grip centerline. You can put the pin where you want as long as it's in the 7 o'clock orientation to the center of the grip.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
tdub36tjt

Post by tdub36tjt »

How does moving the pin change reaction though??
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

tdub36tjt wrote:How does moving the pin change reaction though??
It just changes the amount of the flare.
tdub36tjt

Post by tdub36tjt »

Ok. So moving it away from the grip center would change the flare like moving a pin closer to axis and moving it towards the center of the grip would be like moving the pin further from axis???
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

tdub36tjt wrote:Ok. So moving it away from the grip center would change the flare like moving a pin closer to axis and moving it towards the center of the grip would be like moving the pin further from axis???
On symmetricals, moving the pin either distance from a 3 3/8" pin to PAP distance reduces flare.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

For asymmetricals does moving the pin toward grip center from 3 3/8" have the same effect as increasing the pin to PAP distance from 3 3/8" for a 3/4 roller? -- JohnP
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

JohnP wrote:For asymmetricals does moving the pin toward grip center from 3 3/8" have the same effect as increasing the pin to PAP distance from 3 3/8" for a 3/4 roller? -- JohnP
It doesn't reduce flare nearly as much.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

JohnP wrote:For asymmetricals does moving the pin toward grip center from 3 3/8" have the same effect as increasing the pin to PAP distance from 3 3/8" for a 3/4 roller? -- JohnP
It doesn't reduce flare nearly as much. Let's ask blueprint to clarify that using his software for a more exact answer.
tdub36tjt

Post by tdub36tjt »

I am having trouble understanding because I understand that moving the pin either way from 3 3/8" from the PAP reduces flare but we are talking about the full roller drill....But you said we are moving the pin closer or further from the center of the grip not the PAP..Unless we are moving it away from or closer to the NAP?? Also reducing flare in a symmetrical with a 2" pin to pap is going to give you a different reaction that reducing flare with a 5" pin to PAP. So when I have someone who is struggling controlling the ball in the back of the lane I don't want to make that worse with a 5" pin to PAP type flare.

I am just trying to understand everything that is happening with a full roller layout. I have numerous full rollers I drill for and several of them are looking for less hook in the back of the lane/more control so outside of drilling them something like 90 x 2.25" x 50 on a symmetrical I am trying to understand how I can achieve a similar ball reaction without worrying about them tracking over the gripping holes?? I know its probably a crap shoot but still trying to get an idea....The more options I can give my full roller customers the better....
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

tdub36tjt wrote:I am having trouble understanding because I understand that moving the pin either way from 3 3/8" from the PAP reduces flare but we are talking about the full roller drill....But you said we are moving the pin closer or further from the center of the grip not the PAP..Unless we are moving it away from or closer to the NAP?? Also reducing flare in a symmetrical with a 2" pin to pap is going to give you a different reaction that reducing flare with a 5" pin to PAP. So when I have someone who is struggling controlling the ball in the back of the lane I don't want to make that worse with a 5" pin to PAP type flare.

I am just trying to understand everything that is happening with a full roller layout. I have numerous full rollers I drill for and several of them are looking for less hook in the back of the lane/more control so outside of drilling them something like 90 x 2.25" x 50 on a symmetrical I am trying to understand how I can achieve a similar ball reaction without worrying about them tracking over the gripping holes?? I know its probably a crap shoot but still trying to get an idea....The more options I can give my full roller customers the better....

Moving the pin can be measured from the PAP (or NAP), or the center of the grip since the center of the grip is about 6 3/4" from the PAP (or NAP). It's just math.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JohnP »

And my question, since the standard full roller layout places the pin ~3 3/8" from the NAP, is -- does moving the pin away from the NAP (toward grip center) have the same effect on flare for an asymmetrical ball as moving the pin away from the PAP on a 3/4 roller asymmetric layout. If so, there would be very little change in flare. That would mean that to reduce flare significantly the pin would have to be moved to about 1 1/2" from the NAP (5 1/4" from grip center). Then the question becomes, what does that do to the track bowtie and will the ball flare into the gripping holes. -- JohnP
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

JohnP wrote:And my question, since the standard full roller layout places the pin ~3 3/8" from the NAP, is -- does moving the pin away from the NAP (toward grip center) have the same effect on flare for an asymmetrical ball as moving the pin away from the PAP on a 3/4 roller asymmetric layout. If so, there would be very little change in flare. That would mean that to reduce flare significantly the pin would have to be moved to about 1 1/2" from the NAP (5 1/4" from grip center). Then the question becomes, what does that do to the track bowtie and will the ball flare into the gripping holes. -- JohnP
Keeping the pin in the 7 o'clock position for righties prevents rolling over the holes. Let's wait for an accurate answer from blueprint about the amount of flare on asyms.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JohnP »

OK. Most full rollers want as strong a layout as they can get, but the no thumbers and half thumbers sometimes want a weaker layout. Maybe the 7 o'clock direction and 5 1/2" or so from grip center is the answer. -- JohnP
tdub36tjt

Post by tdub36tjt »

Yeah I have several no thumb full rollers that get too much hook with the full roller "leverage" layout...I will be trying a 2" pin to NAP for one of them on the next ball he drills...We'll see how that goes. So when you say 7 o'clock position you mean keep it on a 33* angle from the centerline/center of the grip then right?? Interested to see how this will work out....
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JohnP »

Actually, the "classic" full roller layout is 45* to grip center. That's what I assumed Mo was referring to as 7 o'clock, but would actually be 7:30. -- JohnP
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

JohnP wrote:Actually, the "classic" full roller layout is 45* to grip center. That's what I assumed Mo was referring to as 7 o'clock, but would actually be 7:30. -- JohnP
I use 7 o'clock instead of 7:30 to help keep the bowtie point in the center of the grip to make sure it's flare safe. The aggressive full roller layouts are in the Wiki.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JohnP »

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind the next time I drill for a full roller. I don't have many full roller customers, but so far the 45* layout hasn't caused the track to flare into any gripping holes. Do you stick with 3 3/8" from grip center or adjust to change the flare? -- JohnP