Rico layout

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Re: Rico layout

Post by Mo Pinel »

the bowlers edge wrote:i got it to weigh out :) i dont know how to get the pic on here but here's what it looked like, 15x5x45 DT hole
2010-11-23181155.jpg
Threw it in a house that has old beat up wood, best look i've had all year is with an invasion and mutant cell pearl both 40x6x85. Invasion has no hole, MCP has a P4. First game out had a great look, front 9 and just a terrible shot in the 10th for 260, then 240 the next before i had to put it up. Rolled quickly but still got down the lane before it made its move. I've been shying away from pin up layouts especially in this house due to not being able to control them off the break point. This ball didn't have that trouble, the trasition was strong, but not a flip like i've had with other balls that i use a 45x4.5x35. I suppose this is what the RICO was supposed to do and i love this ball 1000000 times more than any piece i ever drilled RICO. This is a wonderful benchmark piece for me, and i'm sure i can drill stronger or weaker balls with the same layout as well to round out my line up! Thanks Mo!
I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER! A small drilling angle combined with a less flaring pin and a VAL angle that placed the pin just above the fingers is how I git Rico reaction with more hit and no chance of flaring over a hole.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
gyoza

Post by gyoza »

Mo Pinel wrote:I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER! A small drilling angle combined with a less flaring pin and a VAL angle that placed the pin just above the fingers is how I git Rico reaction with more hit and no chance of flaring over a hole.
If the drilling angle doesn't really matter on a symmetrical ball, why have such a small angle which places the CG way to the side? Or was that the point?
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

gyoza wrote: If the drilling angle doesn't really matter on a symmetrical ball, why have such a small angle which places the CG way to the side? Or was that the point?
That was the point. It allows for a bigger balance hole, which affects the location of the PSA of the drilled ball.
gyoza

Post by gyoza »

New old question: If the "Rico" doesn't make sense as a layout because the pin distance and angle to VAL are different depending on PAPs, how does the Dual Thumb layout compare considering that the drilling angle and balance hole are independent of the PAP? (In a way.)
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

gyoza wrote:New old question: If the "Rico" doesn't make sense as a layout because the pin distance and angle to VAL are different depending on PAPs, how does the Dual Thumb layout compare considering that the drilling angle and balance hole are independent of the PAP? (In a way.)

Because the pin to PAP distance is always 4" and the VAL angle is always 30*, no matter the PAP. The purpose of the Double Thumb layout is purely to maximize both the diffs of the drilled ball for every bowler.
sudoCrushMS
Positive Axis Point: 5R x 1/4U
Speed: 15-16 @ Monitors
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 65
Preferred Company: Storm/Roto Grip

Post by sudoCrushMS »

I have a Maxxed-Out and a Versa-max in what my driller called a "Modified RICO", it's RICO with the pin 1"(about, didn't watch him measure it) above the center of grip. Both of them are great. I get a nice early roll up and it has a slower response to the friction, after that it seems like they just don't stop hooking. The carry is great and they're great benchmark balls. I should ask the next time I talk to my driller what the dual angle is, I don't know my PAP off hand.
Dan
Speed: 15-16.5MPH (monitor)
Rev: ~400
PAP: 5R x 1/4U
Axis Tilt: 10-20*(variable, naturally about 14*)
Axis Rotation: variable, natural about 65*