Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

MathIsTruth
Industry Professional
Industry Professional
Preferred Company: MoRich/Radical

Re: Rev dominant vs speed dominant

Post by MathIsTruth »

MWhite wrote: Can you explain what differences are occurring between a hypothetical set of bowlers that puts them in separate categories?

A) 17 mph, 200 RPM
B) 17 mph, 300 RPM
C) 17 mph, 400 RPM

For any parameters missing, assume values that help to clarify, and assume all three have the same parameters excluding RPM.

Bowler A: ball speed dominates over effects of rev rates. Adjustments should be made to angle sum to compensate for the extra speed. Decrease angle sum.

Bowler B: neither ball speed or rev rate dominates the other so bowler is pretty well matched.

Bowler C: rev rate dominates ball speed. An increase in angle sum should be used to compensate for the bowlers high rev rate.

We use the chart to get an idea about the relationship. This affects the angle sums we would use in the layout. Hope that helps...

MWhite

Post by MWhite »

kellytehuna wrote:I would think the answer to that particular question is obvious. If we assume all three bowlers are throwing the same ball, with the same layout and surface preparation, with the same release stats on the same condition and playing the same line:

If Bowler A is lined up and in the pocket, Bowler B will be through the beak, and Bowler C will cross over every time.

If Bowler B is lined up and in the pocket, Bowler A would tend to hit light pocket shots at best, and Bowler C will tend to go through the beak or cross over.

If Bowler C is lined up and in the pocket, Bowler A would likely be hitting the 3 pin in the face, and Bowler C will be hitting light at best.
I could have chosen

A) 17 mph, 100 RPM
B) 17 mph, 150 RPM
C) 17 mph, 200 RPM

Everything you said would still be correct, but all 3 of those bowlers would have been in the same speed dominant category. My question is what is happening that makes them in different categories.
Last edited by MWhite on July 5th, 2012, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MWhite

Post by MWhite »

MathIsTruth wrote:

Bowler A: ball speed dominates over effects of rev rates. Adjustments should be made to angle sum to compensate for the extra speed. Decrease angle sum.

Bowler B: neither ball speed or rev rate dominates the other so bowler is pretty well matched.

Bowler C: rev rate dominates ball speed. An increase in angle sum should be used to compensate for the bowlers high rev rate.

We use the chart to get an idea about the relationship. This affects the angle sums we would use in the layout. Hope that helps...

Ok I think I finally see what the "match" is.

You have a "standard" dual angle layout that the 17 mph, 300 rpm guy fits well with.
And the layout needs adjusting for both the 17 mph, 200 rpm guy, and 17 mph, 400 rpm guy, but in opposition directions.

Thank You
MathIsTruth
Industry Professional
Industry Professional
Preferred Company: MoRich/Radical

Post by MathIsTruth »

MWhite wrote: I could have chosen

A) 17 mph, 100 RPM
B) 17 mph, 150 RPM
C) 17 mph, 200 RPM

Everything you said would still be correct, but all 3 of those bowlers would have been in the same speed dominant category. My question is what is happening that makes them in different categories.

You are correct, these scenarios are all speed dominant but with different levels of speed dominance. So we would subtract a little more from the 100 rpm bowler's angle sum than the 200 rpm bowler.

LabRat
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 208
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by LabRat »

MWhite wrote:
Please explain to me how a ball thrown at 11 mph and 0 rpm is somehow matched up.
Certanly. Because the purpose of the chart is to assign certain characteristics to speed and rev ranges, I can say that since 11 mph is matched at 0 revs, anyone throwing the ball at 11 mph is going to be rev dominanant. That lets me select and lay out an appropriate ball for them, assuming I can't fix whatever is causing them to throw the ball so slowly in the first place.
The chart is a tool - it's only useful if you know how to use and apply it.
Chemistry is like cooking - just don't lick the spoon.
kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Post by kellytehuna »

MWhite wrote: Ok I think I finally see what the "match" is.

You have a "standard" dual angle layout that the 17 mph, 300 rpm guy fits well with.
And the layout needs adjusting for both the 17 mph, 200 rpm guy, and 17 mph, 400 rpm guy, but in opposition directions.

Thank You
And, I finally figured out what you were actually looking for! LOL! At least we have this resolved.
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818