Storm IQ , and IQ tour edition

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

Rjf300
THS Average: 227
Positive Axis Point: 5 over 3/4 up
Speed: 16.5
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 0-60
Preferred Company: Columbia/Storm

Storm IQ , and IQ tour edition

Post by Rjf300 »

I was on storms site today just looking around noticed the IQ, and IQ tour edition. I'm a numbers guy so I wanted to see the Rg's and Diffs on these pieces, I noticed the IQ was 2.48, 0.050, pretty typical for a master line product, Then I checked the tour edition 2.49 0.029, thats kind of odd. I never seen a Low rg, low diff ball in all the time I have been bowling. Why would they make this ball. I see they say its for heavy oil, that seems odd as well.

Can any one explain when some one would use this ball ?
Ball Speed 16.5
Rev Rate 320
Axis Rot 0 -60
Axis tilt 15deg
Axis point 5" over 1" up
jpj6780
Positive Axis Point: 4-5/8" over 1/2"up
Speed: 17 hand
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 16
Axis Rotation: 50
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Theory 48/4.25/47 p3
Medium Oil Ball: Perpetual Motion 65/2.25/25 p3
Light Oil Ball: Mojave 70/4.25/47
Preferred Company: Morich

Re: Storm IQ , and IQ tour edition

Post by jpj6780 »

Looks like they're catering to the high-rev PBA bowler -- especially for shorter patterns. Maybe there's another reason for this ball, but perhaps they're trying to produce a ball that doesn't end up drilled with a 6" pin-to-pap by the storm staff.
Rjf300

Post by Rjf300 »

I think would be great for short oil. When urethane isn't enough this might be the next best control type ball for those over under conditions.
Ball Speed 16.5
Rev Rate 320
Axis Rot 0 -60
Axis tilt 15deg
Axis point 5" over 1" up
jpj6780
Positive Axis Point: 4-5/8" over 1/2"up
Speed: 17 hand
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 16
Axis Rotation: 50
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Theory 48/4.25/47 p3
Medium Oil Ball: Perpetual Motion 65/2.25/25 p3
Light Oil Ball: Mojave 70/4.25/47

Post by jpj6780 »

Yes I agree -- I'm glad they're releasing a lower-diff ball. It's a piece that you don't see released very often these days. I don't know if it'll be a huge seller, but they definitely don't have a lot of competition in the category.

Jeremy
shaggy
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by shaggy »

That ball has belmo written all over it LOL :lol:
distjamb
THS Average: 213
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 > 5/8 up
Speed: 16-17mph on monitor
Axis Tilt: 11*
Axis Rotation: 55*
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Nano
Medium Oil Ball: Bruswick maxxed out
Light Oil Ball: Storm Firestorm

Post by distjamb »

I have a Fire Storm .020 diff.(circa 1995) Rolled a 717 with it tonight :D Its drilled roughly (assuming the psa is near thumb) 120/3.5/85. Thing is a house shot killer.

Edit: the Fire Storm is also a "Tour Edition"
pap: 4 5/8" over -5/8" up
speed: 17-18mph off hand
rev rate: 320
axis rotation: 55*
axis tilt: 11-13*

years bowling: 6
league average: 213
high game: 300
high series: 792
cheech
THS Average: 224
Positive Axis Point: 3 13/16
Speed: 18 off hand
Rev Rate: 395
Axis Tilt: 7
Heavy Oil Ball: brunswick alpha max
Medium Oil Ball: bluevibe, iq tour solid
Light Oil Ball: topical breeze
Preferred Company: columbia 300

Post by cheech »

im not a big storm guy but i may drill one to fit between my vibes and tropical breeze. like others said, short oil/burn control ball without having to put a fancy layout on it
ryan chinnici
sacred heart university class of 2013
PAP-4 1/8 x 1/8 up
speed-18 (off hand)
RPM 395
tilt 10*
axis rotation *
when in doubt.....throw a vibe!
charlest

Post by charlest »

The IQ Tour seems to me to be the current equivalent to a couple of great balls of the past: the Storm Tour Power and the Columbia Pulse. Both had very low RGs and low Differentials in the .25 - .30 range. Also the Seismic Blackout is a similar ball BUT with a polished surface (RG: 2.48, Diff: .035). Dull the Blackout to a suitable surface (2000 - 4000 git) and you'll have a ball whose overall reaction is very similar to that of the great Pulse.

They're all major control balls with dull surfaces meant to handle medium - medium-heavy oil. All had much better than average hitting power DESPITE their lower flare cores.

I expect the IQ Tour to be of the same overall quality. Bowlers with more ball speed than revs may need a lower surface on the IQ Tour to handle medium or greater oil.
Right handed
Speed: 13.5 -14.5 at pin deck
Rev Rate: 275 - 350
Axis rotation: 45*
Axis tilt: 17*
PAP: 5" x 0"
kwettig
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 212
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 over 5/8 up
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 380
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich HookR
Light Oil Ball: Motiv Venom Strike

Post by kwettig »

Speculation is great, I can't wait to get the tour edition on the lanes and see what it offers. No offense to the other posters, but I don't think any of the balls you've mentioned with the same specs have a cover nearly as strong as the R2S solid. It will be interesting to see if Storm will release this ball with a true 4000 cover. That being said, I think it might not be great for the uneducated masses who will want the "tour edition" because they think it will be more aggressive than the other version. They might be disappointed by it's performance compared to other products.
Kyle Wettig
IBPSIA Adv. Certified Tech.
Breakpoint Pro Shop
New Richmond WI
Rjf300

Post by Rjf300 »

I agree with previous poster, I think this ball will be great for me being a slower speed player, with a decent amount of hand and not wanting to use a pearl or a hybrid ball. This will allow me to still use a solid with some surface, possibly on shorter sport shots such cheetah pattern, depending on drilling of course. I can see my self using this ball right out of the bag to get a nice even read on tournament shots because of the lower rg of the core and lower diff,(not a very common thing seen in bowling products now days) it will be a great control piece. I can see myself having two of these in the near future. Also for the rev dominate players that cant use higher end balls because they are just to much hook. I can't wait to see this ball roll
Ball Speed 16.5
Rev Rate 320
Axis Rot 0 -60
Axis tilt 15deg
Axis point 5" over 1" up
charlest

Post by charlest »

kwettig wrote:Speculation is great, I can't wait to get the tour edition on the lanes and see what it offers. No offense to the other posters, but I don't think any of the balls you've mentioned with the same specs have a cover nearly as strong as the R2S solid. It will be interesting to see if Storm will release this ball with a true 4000 cover. That being said, I think it might not be great for the uneducated masses who will want the "tour edition" because they think it will be more aggressive than the other version. They might be disappointed by it's performance compared to other products.
If it was me to whom you're referring, I did not intend for you or anyone to compare these balls now to the IQ Tour but to consider what they were when they were released. Back then, each of those (especially the Tour Power and the Pulse) has as strong a cover, relative to what was available overall then, as the R2S is to covers nowadays. It was their position in the hierarchy then that relates to how the IQ Tour will be positioned nowadays.

I can almost guarantee most people will be disappointed in the IQ Tour because they won't understand what it is and how such a low Differential ball is designed to react and what the ball is designed to handle. I think it may be a good for such a ball to be finished 500/4000 rather than 500/1000/2000/4000. That could provide the Virtual Gravity type of ball reaction that many people seem to feel is now missing from Storm's repertoire.
Right handed
Speed: 13.5 -14.5 at pin deck
Rev Rate: 275 - 350
Axis rotation: 45*
Axis tilt: 17*
PAP: 5" x 0"
dougb
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/8 away and 1/16 up
Speed: 12
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip SD-73
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Massive Damage
Light Oil Ball: Faball Norm Duke Hammer
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by dougb »

charlest wrote: If it was me to whom you're referring, I did not intend for you or anyone to compare these balls now to the IQ Tour but to consider what they were when they were released. Back then, each of those (especially the Tour Power and the Pulse) has as strong a cover, relative to what was available overall then, as the R2S is to covers nowadays. It was their position in the hierarchy then that relates to how the IQ Tour will be positioned nowadays.

I can almost guarantee most people will be disappointed in the IQ Tour because they won't understand what it is and how such a low Differential ball is designed to react and what the ball is designed to handle. I think it may be a good for such a ball to be finished 500/4000 rather than 500/1000/2000/4000. That could provide the Virtual Gravity type of ball reaction that many people seem to feel is now missing from Storm's repertoire.
I'm with Charlest on this one. I think the Seismic Solaris Blackout is the only comparable ball on the market today, but my guess is most bowlers (and even pro shop owners) are not familiar with Seismic.

I have a Blackout and it's an incredible control piece. Think urethane on steroids.

But this is not just a ball for the crankers who need a ball that won't fly off the friction. For a lower revs/slower speed player like myself, I benefit from the low RG core revving up through the mid combined with the smooth backend movement the low diff delivers.

I agree that many bowlers will fail to understand what this ball is about and thus be disappointed in the results.
scotts33
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8" > 3/8" up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 17
Heavy Oil Ball: Motiv T10 LE 60* 4" 60* no hole symm. OOB pin down

Post by scotts33 »

I'm with Charlest on this one. I think the Seismic Solaris Blackout is the only comparable ball on the market today, but my guess is most bowlers (and even pro shop owners) are not familiar with Seismic.
Since, I use 14's, I won't agree with your opinion. Seismic Blackout 2.502 .038 Storm IQ Tour 2.54 .035. Both balls because of cover and core differences will react different for me. Not everyone rolls 15's. :D

BTW....I had a Blackout and was not impressed. Wrong layout no doubt and wrong lane surface. Generally I dislike low Rg balls and that's part of it. I would think about the Storm IQ Tour because of it's higher Rg and medium diff. The Blackout I learned from....not for me and the house/surface I bowl 5 man leagues on.
stopncrank

Post by stopncrank »

Hardly the ball's fault when you put the wrong layout on it, then use it on the wrong surface.....
scotts33

Post by scotts33 »

stopncrank wrote:Hardly the ball's fault when you put the wrong layout on it, then use it on the wrong surface.....

Ryan of Seismic made the suggestion on the layout. Lane surface NOT ball surface. I didn't plug and re-drill took my lumps and moved on. Point is not every ball is for everyone. Add .035 and I don't consider that small diff. either. I've used many smaller diff. balls than .035.

Case in point took a Track 607A laid it out very close to the way the BO was laid out 2.51 .038 OOB great ball same lane surface. Different core/cover combo near same numbers different reaction.
Knestrikes

Post by Knestrikes »

Check out the Lane 1 Chainsaw SOS and AMF's new Cobra if you like some low diff stuff.

Can't wait to get my hands on the Cobra next week. :mrgreen:

Been trying to get them to rerelease the Pulse again. This ball was a bad ass, even when it was released as the Angel Evolutuion Extra Tour Edition, the Extra with the yellow pin....Miss that rock. 8-)
stopncrank

Post by stopncrank »

scotts33 wrote:
Ryan of Seismic made the suggestion on the layout. Lane surface NOT ball surface. I didn't plug and re-drill took my lumps and moved on. Point is not every ball is for everyone. Add .035 and I don't consider that small diff. either. I've used many smaller diff. balls than .035.

Case in point took a Track 607A laid it out very close to the way the BO was laid out 2.51 .038 OOB great ball same lane surface. Different core/cover combo near same numbers different reaction.
Per my quote, "use it on the wrong surface"<----that implies lans surface...

and as for the Blackout/607A-Ive had both and there's quite a of difference-Blackout is a symetric core, 607 is asymetric...anyways hate it didnt work for you.

Dave, saw the new releases and they look nice! I second the comments about the Pulses, and had the Yellow pin Tour edition Angle as well...I suspect the IQ tour will get some tv time with the rev rates on the Storm staff...
scotts33

Post by scotts33 »

and as for the Blackout/607A-Ive had both and there's quite a of difference-Blackout is a symetric core, 607 is asymetric...anyways hate it didnt work for you.
See Mo's definition of asymmetric's with smaller inter. diff......I'd consider .007 as very small inter diff. asymmetric and can be drilled as a symmetric. Also both were drilled by a pro shop operator with a DeTerminator and PSA's found and marked. Both balls similar numbers BO 2.502 .038 and 607A 2.51 .037 .007. Difference being lane surface of 16 years old with never a larger volume put down to protect surface has a lot of wear in the track area. The FF polish on the 607A vs. the BO 2000 ab w/ polish read the lane better.
Knestrikes

Post by Knestrikes »

stopncrank wrote:
Dave, saw the new releases and they look nice! I second the comments about the Pulses, and had the Yellow pin Tour edition Angle as well...I suspect the IQ tour will get some tv time with the rev rates on the Storm staff...
Drilled the Cobra last night, absolute money ball. :mrgreen:
Rolled exactly like I wanted it to. This one, I'm not giving away.
It's a T pad finish on a strong cover. Reads the mids a little sooner than I expected, nothing a touch of shine wont fix. Get one. ;)
56bird

Post by 56bird »

Bump. What do you guys think now?