Your 2012 USBC Championships Oil Pattern!

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

SpaceCadet
THS Average: 215
Positive Axis Point: 5 over, up 3/8
Speed: 19.3 at the line
Rev Rate: 323
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Hyper Cell, Storm Zero Gravity
Medium Oil Ball: Motiv Venom Shock, IQ Tour Pearl
Light Oil Ball: Roto Grip Rumble
Preferred Company: Roto-Grip

Your 2012 USBC Championships Oil Pattern!

Post by SpaceCadet »

Very interesting - approx 2 ml less in total oil than last year's pattern, 39 feet (41 last year), and a little flatter, IMO. Looking forward to seeing what Mo and the other very-informed coaches think.

http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn.net ... attern.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the bag: * Roto Grip Hyper Cell * Storm Zero Gravity * Storm IQ Tour Pearl * Storm IQ Fusion * Storm Victory Road Solid * Brunswick Slingshot * Track 100P*
kwettig
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 212
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 over 5/8 up
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 380
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich HookR
Light Oil Ball: Motiv Venom Strike
Preferred Company: Morich

Re: Your 2012 USBC Championships Oil Pattern!

Post by kwettig »

These lanes are built for this tourney correct? If so I'm sure that's why there's less volume. Ratio's look similar to 2010 pattern.
Kyle Wettig
IBPSIA Adv. Certified Tech.
Breakpoint Pro Shop
New Richmond WI
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Of possible interest - Additional info from the USBC site ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
juice
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by juice »

I laid this pattern down for some league guys that came in to practice today, they had a blast. Does anyone know the pattern or a link for the pba open in new jersey?
"Observe, Adjust, and Overcome."

- Jim J.
Manager, Pro Shop Operator
Best Bowl - Selinsgrove, PA
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

http://www.pba.com/OilPatterns/Pattern/9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Length: 42'

Description:

The U.S. Open Pattern features the toughest lane oil design in all of bowling. The U.S. Open condition is a "flat" oil pattern with equal oil being placed on each board, gutter to gutter. Premium shotmaking and precision accuracy are required to conquer this difficult condition.
Upcoming Tournaments on this Pattern:
PBA Tour
69th U.S. Open (2/20/2012)

Recent Tournaments and Champions on this Pattern:
PBA Tour
2011: 68th Lumber Liquidators U.S. Open (winner: Norm Duke)
2010: 67th Lumber Liquidators U.S. Open (winner: Bill O'Neill)
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
juice
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by juice »

kajmk wrote:http://www.pba.com/OilPatterns/Pattern/9

Length: 42'

Description:

The U.S. Open Pattern features the toughest lane oil design in all of bowling. The U.S. Open condition is a "flat" oil pattern with equal oil being placed on each board, gutter to gutter. Premium shotmaking and precision accuracy are required to conquer this difficult condition.
Upcoming Tournaments on this Pattern:
PBA Tour
69th U.S. Open (2/20/2012)

Recent Tournaments and Champions on this Pattern:
PBA Tour
2011: 68th Lumber Liquidators U.S. Open (winner: Norm Duke)
2010: 67th Lumber Liquidators U.S. Open (winner: Bill O'Neill)
This is all the info I could find on it as well. I've got a couple of guys heading down for the open, and they wanted to know if i could lay the pattern down for them... but i can't find the actual specs on the pattern.
"Observe, Adjust, and Overcome."

- Jim J.
Manager, Pro Shop Operator
Best Bowl - Selinsgrove, PA
kwettig
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 212
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 over 5/8 up
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 380
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich HookR
Light Oil Ball: Motiv Venom Strike
Preferred Company: Morich

Post by kwettig »

It's just 2to2 loads progressively faster down the lane. Sign up for PBAx league and you will get access to the patterns. Sounds like you would have some interest in that if you have bowlers going to the us open.
Kyle Wettig
IBPSIA Adv. Certified Tech.
Breakpoint Pro Shop
New Richmond WI
Knestrikes

Post by Knestrikes »

They're very tough to say the least.

Bring your spare ball, you will be shooting plenty of them.

Not one score in the 2000's and one 700 on the board so far.

Aulby made just over $1,800.00 in brackes with a solid 180 first game......shake it off.
Mike
THS Average: 206
Positive Axis Point: 6.25?x1?
Speed: 18 off hands?
Rev Rate: 275
Axis Tilt: 4
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Brunswick Fiery Siege
Medium Oil Ball: Roto Grip World Alliance
Light Oil Ball: Ebonite Agressive Motion SS

Post by Mike »

kajmk wrote: The U.S. Open Pattern features the toughest lane oil design in all of bowling.
Would this be considered tougher than a reverse block/"Shark"-like oil pattern? I didn't think so, but based on the scores posted below, maybe it is.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

Mike wrote: Would this be considered tougher than a reverse block/"Shark"-like oil pattern? I didn't think so, but based on the scores posted below, maybe it is.
Shark is not a reverse block. An OB shows up after the track breaks down. The US Open pattern is considerably more difficult. It's not really an oil pattern. It's a slab of oil.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
gbabione
THS Average: 211
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/4 up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: Proton Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Phase 2
Light Oil Ball: IQ Emerald
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by gbabione »

I posted this somewhere else also, but I wanted to make sure everybody would see it. I just read a post on Bowl.com from someone who just bowled nationals. This person claimed to be a stroker and had to play deep and had a hard time with the balls making a hard left-hand turn off the pattern. The talked to someone in the Ebonite booth and they agreed with that assessment.
Guy Babione

Right Handed
PAP 5" by 1/4" up
65* rotation
11* tilt
375 rev rate
18 mph off hand
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

gbabione wrote:I posted this somewhere else also, but I wanted to make sure everybody would see it. I just read a post on Bowl.com from someone who just bowled nationals. This person claimed to be a stroker and had to play deep and had a hard time with the balls making a hard left-hand turn off the pattern. The talked to someone in the Ebonite booth and they agreed with that assessment.
To avoid the hard left, use lower ratios, (smaller ratio of drill angle to val angle)
MattyBiggz
THS Average: 227
Speed: 17+
Heavy Oil Ball: Brunswick Alpha-Max
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Ulti-Max
Light Oil Ball: DV8 Misfit
Preferred Company: Brunswick (@ the moment)

Post by MattyBiggz »

I bowled a local tourney yesterday that laid out the pattern and it played exactly the way Mo said. I had to stay outside, an play relativley straight. I was using an Alpha-Max at 500grit with a 30x4x30 drilling. It stayed perfect for the first 3 games (I shot 671) and I started to actually lose hook. I tried slowing down and letting it grab a little more, but to no avail (shot 165 with 2 splits my 4th game). I balled down do my 1500 grit misfit drilled 45x4.x45 and moved my feet back one board and eyes 1 board, and bam, right back in the pocket for a solid 240 then a 220. I started to fatigue and lost that look and didn't have the right ball to go to next so I lost out in the round of 4 (high score for the group was 177). Never-the-less, I feel mo's thoughts are spot on, start with something dull, and meduim strong, then just ball down from there, resist the urge to move in (guys who killed the PBA tourney the day before who were trying to play deep couldn't string anything for the life of them, and i've never seen so many splits in my life. Find a line that gets you to the pocket consistently, but not violently to help for when you miss, and bring a spare ball and a solid spare game, and you'll shoot at least 600, I promise.
MattyBiggz
Columbus, Ohio
Avg: ~225 THS
High Game: 300 (4)
High Series: 809 (2)
Current Equip: Brunswick Ulti-Max, Alpha-Max, Karma Solid, Loaded Revolver, Wicked Siege, Damage, DV8 Misfit, Storm Crossroad, Storm Frantic, Storm IQ Tour Pearl, RotoGrip Golden Globe
fufu
THS Average: 230
Positive Axis Point: 5 right, 3/8 up
Speed: 16
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 17

Post by fufu »

I bowled on the 2012 USBC Open pattern in a tournament this weekend. The surface was high friction, so factor that in my review. The tournament format was 3 man teams, scratch, 6 games qualifying, cut to top 8, best 2 of 3 match play in bracket format.

I started about 14 at the arrows with a breakpoint at 8 board, using my Critical Theory at OOB finish. I started with 263 in game 1. We moved a pair to the right each game. The next game, I moved a board or two left, keep my target and bp in the same spot for 205. Game 3 we moved to the low end of the house and they were alittle tighter. I moved back to the right and shot 215. Game 4 they started to transition deeper. I made a 6 and 4 move this game, resulting in a 220(something). Game 5, caught a good pair and shot 268 making another move deeper. I was about 32 with my feet 21 at the arrows and 12 at the bp. We were guaranteed to make the finals, so I pulled out my Frantic and used it for game 6. I moved 4 and 2 right, shot 235 i think.

The finals, they kept getting deeper and deeper. I shot back to back 230somethings and we advanced to the next round. We ended up on a pair that was totally blown up. I struggled to get the ball down lane with the Frantic and my slingshot was over/under. I made a big hand position change going straight up the back of the ball managing to shot a couple of 220+ games but we didn't advance.

The pattern is very playable for a variety of styles. I assume that Nats will have a surface with less backend, so I'm sure they will play alittle tighter. Scores overall were not high, especially early and late.
http://www.rotogrip.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/Round-Holes-No ... 602077080/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpaceCadet
THS Average: 215
Positive Axis Point: 5 over, up 3/8
Speed: 19.3 at the line
Rev Rate: 323
Axis Tilt: 13
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Hyper Cell, Storm Zero Gravity
Medium Oil Ball: Motiv Venom Shock, IQ Tour Pearl
Light Oil Ball: Roto Grip Rumble
Preferred Company: Roto-Grip

Post by SpaceCadet »

Thanks, MB and fufu. Very helpful!
In the bag: * Roto Grip Hyper Cell * Storm Zero Gravity * Storm IQ Tour Pearl * Storm IQ Fusion * Storm Victory Road Solid * Brunswick Slingshot * Track 100P*
Knestrikes

Post by Knestrikes »

Had a guy in the booth last night say he shot 481, put $300 in brackets, and got back $270.

Shake it off. :shock: